Off to the velodrome again!!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflydirtycatl, Oct 8, 2003.

  1. Just booked a taster session at the Manchester Velodrome on the last day of the month (it's in
    half-term). YYYYEEEEHHHAAAHH! Great fun will be had. Trying to book one of the "taster improver
    sessions" too as there's one later in the day, but that seemed to confuse. I explained that
    travelling to the velodrome is an occasional treat, as we don't live in Manchester or close by and
    we'd like to make the most of our chance to get there. Then the following morning there *may* be a
    special session for juveniles/juniors run by Eastlands Velo, so I've emailed that club asking if
    it's possible for Nathan to do that session. Here's hoping!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**[email protected]*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX tried to scribble ...

    > Just booked a taster session at the Manchester Velodrome on the last day of the month (it's in
    > half-term). YYYYEEEEHHHAAAHH! Great fun will be had. Trying to book one of the "taster improver
    > sessions" too as there's one later in the day, but that seemed to confuse.

    Why should that confuse you ?

    ;)

    > I explained that travelling to the velodrome is an occasional treat, as we don't live in
    > Manchester or close by and we'd like to make the most of our chance to get there. Then the
    > following morning there *may* be a special session for juveniles/juniors run by Eastlands Velo, so
    > I've emailed that club asking if it's possible for Nathan to do that session. Here's hoping!

    Hope you and he enjoy it .. it's certainly something 'different' - unless you've done it before of
    course .. ;)

    I hope you don't think I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs, but be careful Nathan doesn't
    'overtrain' when getting these kind of 'treats'. Younger people can easily overdo things without
    realising it. Have fun .. ;)

    --
    Digweed '79 Beamish RL 250, '85 Swift Corvette, '88 Ford Escort 1.6 Ghia, '95 Dyna-Tech CroMo Comp,
    '97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi, '02 Schumacher CAT 3000, '03 Losi Kinwald Triple-X, '03 Associated

  3. wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:

    > Just booked a taster session at the Manchester Velodrome on the last day of the month (it's in
    > half-term). YYYYEEEEHHHAAAHH! Great fun will be had.

    You'll enjoy the g-force in the corners...it makes your head feel very heavy if you're trying to
    look up. Mind you, I've only ridden Calshot, which is unusually steep.

  4. >Why should that confuse you ?

    It confused you ;-)

    >Hope you and he enjoy it .. it's certainly something 'different' - unless you've done it before of
    >course .. ;)

    Yes, done one some time ago - too long ago. It's great fun.

    >I hope you don't think I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs, but be careful Nathan doesn't
    >'overtrain' when getting these kind of 'treats'. Younger people can easily overdo things without
    >realising it. Have fun .. ;)

    Would that Nathan had any chance of overtraining ;-) The usual cry in this house is, "Wouldn't
    cycling to school be a good idea today?" Each session is only an hour, so he should be fine. I worry
    more about me on this one!

    One more thing. Last time the Unfit Family went to the Velodrome, we only did cycling. There was no
    attempt to teach sucking of eggs. Is this a new part of the training? ;-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**[email protected]*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. >You'll enjoy the g-force in the corners...it makes your head feel very heavy if you're trying
    >to look up.

    Have to admit I never noticed that last time I rode the velodrome - I think I was just having so
    much fun I didn't notice anything else other than the sheer fun of it.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**[email protected]*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >You'll enjoy the g-force in the corners...it makes your head feel very heavy if you're trying to
    > >look up.
    >
    > Have to admit I never noticed that last time I rode the velodrome - I
    think I
    > was just having so much fun I didn't notice anything else other than the
    sheer
    > fun of it.

    Not pedalling hard enough then!

    (no, haven't noticed heavy head. Have noticed other symptoms - breathlessness, tired legs, etc...)

    cheers, clive

  7. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > You'll enjoy the g-force in the corners...it makes your head feel very heavy if you're trying to
    > look up. Mind you, I've only ridden Calshot, which is unusually steep.

    Is that Calshot at the mouth of Southampton Water? I didn't know there was a velodrome there!

    Simonb

  8. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > Zog The Undeniable wrote:
    >
    >> You'll enjoy the g-force in the corners...it makes your head feel very heavy if you're trying to
    >> look up. Mind you, I've only ridden Calshot, which is unusually steep.
    >
    > Is that Calshot at the mouth of Southampton Water? I didn't know there was a velodrome there!
    >
    > Simonb

    Sorry. I've just Googled myself the answer to my own question. Well I never!

  9. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
    >> You'll enjoy the g-force in the corners...it makes your head feel very heavy if you're trying to
    >> look up.
    >
    > Have to admit I never noticed that last time I rode the velodrome - I think I was just having so
    > much fun I didn't notice anything else other than the sheer fun of it.

    Do you have to be terribly fit to be able to go fast enough to stick to the banking and/or not make
    a twit of yourself.

    As a fat old bloke, I'm tempted but nervous.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  10. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    [email protected] (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) writes:

    > >Do you have to be terribly fit to be able to go fast enough to stick to the banking and/or not
    > >make a twit of yourself.
    > >
    > >As a fat old bloke, I'm tempted but nervous.
    >
    > Don't know about the twit bit, but this middleagedfatbirdonabike can manage the banking and have
    > great fun :)

    At the Edinburgh velodrome, they didn't used to let you take road bikes onto it for fear that
    something (I forget what) would damage the track, so you had to have special track bikes (which I
    didn't have, so I didn't ever use it). Are you allowed to take ordinary road bikes into the
    Manchester velodrome?

    ;; in faecibus sapiens rheum propagabit

  11. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Are you allowed to take ordinary road bikes into the Manchester velodrome?
    >
    > No but bike hire is included in the cost, so to speak. If you have your
    own
    > track bike (fixed wheel), you can use that, but you can't use a road bike.

    AFAIK it has to be manchester spec too (11" BB height).

    HPVers (aka recumbents, even though an upright is an HPV) seem to get let on without some of these
    rules, but only in their own sessions.

    cheers, clive

  12. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    > "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Are you allowed to take ordinary road bikes into the Manchester velodrome?
    > >
    > > No but bike hire is included in the cost, so to speak. If you have your
    > own
    > > track bike (fixed wheel), you can use that, but you can't use a road bike.
    >
    > AFAIK it has to be manchester spec too (11" BB height).

    What is it about road bikes which is alleged to be damaging, as a matter of interest?

    ;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. ;; Jim Morrison

  13. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    > > "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > No but bike hire is included in the cost, so to speak. If you have
    your
    > > own
    > > > track bike (fixed wheel), you can use that, but you can't use a road
    bike.

    > > AFAIK it has to be manchester spec too (11" BB height).
    >
    > What is it about road bikes which is alleged to be damaging, as a matter of interest?

    Brakes, freewheels and pedals.

    Having no brakes is safer, as it means you can't make sudden changes in speed as easily. Once you
    have no brakes you need to lose the freewheel, so you have at least some slowing down capability
    (and fixed is nicer anyway!). Dunno about the sturmey fixed 3 speeds, but apart from them it means
    no gears (and probably not them either). And bb height is to avoid touching pedals on their wooden
    track (which they spend quite enough fixing already).

    cheers, clive

  14. Clive George wrote:

    > Brakes, freewheels and pedals.
    >
    > Having no brakes is safer, as it means you can't make sudden changes in speed as easily. Once you
    > have no brakes you need to lose the freewheel, so you have at least some slowing down capability
    > (and fixed is nicer anyway!). Dunno about the sturmey fixed 3 speeds, but apart from them it means
    > no gears (and probably not them either). And bb height is to avoid touching pedals on their wooden
    > track (which they spend quite enough fixing already).

    Some tracks *do* have sessions when you can turn up on a regular road bike. Maybe only outdoor
    asphalt ones.

  15. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:21:22 +0100, Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > Some tracks *do* have sessions when you can turn up on a regular road bike. Maybe only outdoor
    > asphalt ones.
    I believe Herne Hill does this. (quick look at the web page - Tuesday evenings - until the end of
    September though)