Off topic...but...Postage rates from Canada - anyone know?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
Hi.
I'm getting some bike gear(Ultegra 9 speed crankset, pedals and calipers) from an ebay selling in Canada.
I'm in New Zealand(not 1/2 the world away).
He wants $45 for airmail or $25 for surface + insurance.
I've gotten stuff from Canada before(too long ago to remember postage though).
The parts I get from USA(and I have around 500 feedbacks in the last 2 1/2 years - so I do know) are usually so much cheaper = it would cost $25 + insurance max. to get a box with the gear in it from the USA to me.

He's being impolite, uncommunicative and immoveable in his prices :mad: - I've asked him x 3 to get a more accurate quote.

It doesn't sound like much but - sea takes up to 3 months(especially over Christmas) and is more likely to not make it at all and $45 - I re sell most of the gear I get and it wouldn't be worth me selling it(we're at about 64cents to US $1 so it mounts up).

Does anyone know if what he's expecting is reasonable?
How would I find out for sure?

Help would be appreciated. :)

Some ebay retailers make extra money off shipping, as ebay doesn't charge fees on shipping costs. They had to bring in rules against unreasonable shipping costs as ppl were selling CDs for 99c then charging $30 shipping to dodge fees.

Its also a trap for the unwary, you buy something that looks like a good price, then find out its a high shipping price. NEVER buy off ebay unless they quote the shipping in the listing.

If this guy in Canananada won't make a deal that suits you buy form somebody else and tell him. In the end you are better off lowering your price than loosing a customer (unless you are selling like crazy and one customer won't matter then....)

(PS: Where in NZ are you? I'm from Christchurch but lived in Melbourne for 7 years now)