Off topic: overtraining

Michael Fuhr wrote:
> I take my heart rate every morning as soon as I awaken and before
> I get out of bed; if it's more than 3-4 beats higher than the day
> before then I usually ride short and easy, or perhaps even take the
> day off.

I always thought it had to be about 10 bpm higher B4 slowing down, so I
never paid attention to a small increase of my heartrate.

> Pros are almost certainly in far better condition than you are

That's certain.

> Don't think of recovery rides as something you're "forced" to do --
> enjoy them as a time to relax and "take your bike for a walk," as
> one of my friends puts it.

I know you're right about this, but I can't help myself: whenever I see
someone riding in front of me I automatically start riding faster..

There's also the feeling I haven't been training properly if I don't come
back exhausted. That doesn't help me either. I know it's important to rest,
but I don't seem to be able to do this (enough).

>Perhaps you need to add more easy rides to your regular schedule

I'm certain you're right about that.

>what are you doing for those 2 hours each day?

First of all I ride 7 days/week. During these 2 hours I ride often at 90% of
my maximum and during these rides I do some interval training riding
against small hills and bridges.

> in addition to taking my heart rate every morning before I get out of
> bed, I usually look at it when I put on my HRM as I'm getting ready to
>ride. If it's higher than usual then that tells me I might need to take
> it easy that day.

I'll start doing that too.

Greets, Derk

Jay Beattie wrote:

> "DRS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Derk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I know it's not exactly TECH, but I don't know where else to

> ask it.
> >
> > Google is your friend.
> > http://www.google.com.au/search?as_q=overtraining+symptoms gets

> over 14,000
> > hits.
> >
> > > Could anyone give a complete list of physical phenomena that

> occur
> > > when one suffers from serious overtraining?

> > Mild leg soreness, general achiness
> > Pain in muscles & joints
> > Washed-out feeling, tired, drained, lack of energy
> > Sudden drop in ability to run 'normal' distance or times
> > Insomnia
> > Headaches
> > Inability to relax, twitchy, fidgety
> > Insatiable thirst, dehydration
> > Lowered resistance to common illnesses; colds, sore throat,

> etc.
>
> No social life, angry spouse or significant other, messy home,
> weed-filled garden, dog does not recognize you.

LOL...

Emotional bliss
kick some ass in bike races
Chicks massage your legs (and other things)

Derk <[email protected]> writes:

> Michael Fuhr wrote:
> > I take my heart rate every morning as soon as I awaken and before
> > I get out of bed; if it's more than 3-4 beats higher than the day
> > before then I usually ride short and easy, or perhaps even take the
> > day off.

> I always thought it had to be about 10 bpm higher B4 slowing down, so I
> never paid attention to a small increase of my heartrate.

The amount is probably individual, which is why it's important to
understand how your own body works. For me, a 10bpm difference
would be almost frightening, and I'd probably not ride at all that
day. Consider paying attention to smaller differences.

> > Don't think of recovery rides as something you're "forced" to do --
> > enjoy them as a time to relax and "take your bike for a walk," as
> > one of my friends puts it.

> I know you're right about this, but I can't help myself: whenever I see
> someone riding in front of me I automatically start riding faster..

Using other riders as motivation is sometimes appropriate, but not
always. A heart rate monitor, especially one with audible alarms
that sound if you go above or below a certain zone, can help you
tame the chase instinct. On my recovery rides, I always use the
audible alarms to keep my pace down. It's annoying when you have
to crawl up hills or into the wind, but your body will thank you.

> There's also the feeling I haven't been training properly if I don't come
> back exhausted.

Some rides should leave you feeling exhausted, but if *all* rides
leave you feeling that way then you're overdoing it. Those hard
rides make you stronger *if* you give your body a chance to recover
from them.

> That doesn't help me either. I know it's important to rest,
> but I don't seem to be able to do this (enough).

Work on it. And make sure you're eating properly -- do some searches
on sports nutrition. And get plenty of sleep.

Some trainers recommend dedicating every fourth week to recovery.
During that week, reduce your volume and intensity from what you
normally do, and maybe even take a few days off the bike entirely.
If you're overtrained, then you might need to dedicate several
weeks to recovery.

> >what are you doing for those 2 hours each day?

> First of all I ride 7 days/week. During these 2 hours I ride often at 90% of
> my maximum and during these rides I do some interval training riding
> against small hills and bridges.

You do this on every ride? I'd add at least a couple of easy rides
per week to give your body some rest; if you're feeling really tired
then it might be better not to ride at all that day.

What about longer rides at lower intensities? Don't underestimate
the value of long, slow distance. It helps prepare your body for
more intense efforts, and it can be a nice mental break from going
hard all the time.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:50:07 +0200, Derk <[email protected]> wrote:

>Michael Fuhr wrote:
>> I take my heart rate every morning as soon as I awaken and before
>> I get out of bed; if it's more than 3-4 beats higher than the day
>> before then I usually ride short and easy, or perhaps even take the
>> day off.

>I always thought it had to be about 10 bpm higher B4 slowing down, so I
>never paid attention to a small increase of my heartrate.
>
>> Pros are almost certainly in far better condition than you are

>That's certain.
>
>> Don't think of recovery rides as something you're "forced" to do --
>> enjoy them as a time to relax and "take your bike for a walk," as
>> one of my friends puts it.

>I know you're right about this, but I can't help myself: whenever I see
>someone riding in front of me I automatically start riding faster..
>
>There's also the feeling I haven't been training properly if I don't come
>back exhausted. That doesn't help me either. I know it's important to rest,
>but I don't seem to be able to do this (enough).

You little endorphin junkie, you.

>>Perhaps you need to add more easy rides to your regular schedule

>I'm certain you're right about that.
>
>>what are you doing for those 2 hours each day?

>First of all I ride 7 days/week. During these 2 hours I ride often at 90% of
>my maximum and during these rides I do some interval training riding
>against small hills and bridges.

If you must ride 7 days a week then one or two should be happy pedaling not
working harder than just making circles with your feet and doing some light
stretches.

Good luck and keep it fun.
Ron

Booker C. Bense wrote:
> The last time I told myself "Oh you're just having a bad day",
>I ended up with walking pneumonia for 8 weeks.

Don't be too optimistic for me: you just say that to cheer me up,
don't you ? ;-)

Greets, Derk

Michael Fuhr wrote:
> What about longer rides at lower intensities? Don't underestimate
> the value of long, slow distance. It helps prepare your body for
> more intense efforts, and it can be a nice mental break from going
> hard all the time.

I'm doing that right now. I forgot to mention something that might explain
my overtraining too: while in France, I was stung twice by a hornet that
flew into my helmet. Apart from being extremely painful, it also caused
that I was treated with Prednisolon for a few days to avoid swelling of the
face. My body didn't like the Prednisolon very much. Maybe that had an
influence too?

Greets, Derk