off topic - sad statement about americans?

Only in America (and Canada, to a somewhat equal extent) is unhealthy food
so unbelievably cheap. It's all based on volume \ low profit margin per
unit. The food involved (probably high glycemic index stuff) is cheap to
produce due to the vast sugar-producing capacity of the US great plains and
Canadian prairies. Comparitively, healthy, lower glycemic index items are
more expensive to produce \ sell, and so are produced \ consumed less.
Also, the level of automation \ service on this continent is such that a
person could actually survive without ever leaving the house. In fact, I
believe this was the challenge of a recent ill-conceived reality tv show,
where the contestants were issued a credit card, internet access, and phone,
whilst confined to a house. They had to survive, and apparently had little
difficulty...

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois

"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html
>
> I don't know, but it seems to me like ultra-morbid obesity seems to be an
> American phenomena.
>
> Any of you more Euro-knowledgeable mofos care to comment?

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Only in America (and Canada, to a somewhat equal extent) is unhealthy food
> so unbelievably cheap. It's all based on volume \ low profit margin per
> unit. The food involved (probably high glycemic index stuff) is cheap to
> produce due to the vast sugar-producing capacity of the US great plains

and
> Canadian prairies. Comparitively, healthy, lower glycemic index items are
> more expensive to produce \ sell, and so are produced \ consumed less.
> Also, the level of automation \ service on this continent is such that a
> person could actually survive without ever leaving the house. In fact, I
> believe this was the challenge of a recent ill-conceived reality tv show,
> where the contestants were issued a credit card, internet access, and

phone,
> whilst confined to a house. They had to survive, and apparently had

little
> difficulty...

True - Sugar, Oil, and Salt are very cheap and have been poured into foods
in the USA to increase profit margins.
Almost anything you pick up in a store is over 30% in one of these
catagories.
Corperate Maggots.

> I'm just wondering if the phenomena of super-morbid obesity exits in
Europe,
> that's all.

Lots of very fat legged women in England.
Herds of Heifers in Southern Italy
Porked Sausage women of Germany
But these are all under 400#.
Now 600#, you got to remove walls and use a fork lift.
Googleit - Super Fat Europeans
Got some big ones in China too

Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:

> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:29:31 -0500, hold my wrote:
> >http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html
> >Any of you more Euro-knowledgeable mofos care to comment?

> Holy ****ing ****.

If she was stuck to the couch, I wonder where she got the food from to
maintain her weight?

But 600 pounds ain't **** man. Get a load of this ******.

There's a disgusting piccy of him in today's ``24 Hours'' (a local Free
NewsSheet) but I could only find the original story on the web.

http://www.keloland.com/News/EyeonKELOLAND/NewsDetail4790.cfm?Id=22,33881

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html

"Mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> True - Sugar, Oil, and Salt are very cheap and have been poured into foods
> in the USA to increase profit margins.
> Almost anything you pick up in a store is over 30% in one of these
> catagories.
> Corperate Maggots.

Puh-leeze!

Spare us all your low-brow anti-corporate garbage spew. 'Corporate Maggots'
don't force somebody to consciously eat themselves to 600 pounds. I'm
sorry, but that woman and the enablers who are continuing to bring food to
her are 100% at fault here.

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:09:30 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:29:31 -0500, hold my wrote:
>> >http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html
>> >Any of you more Euro-knowledgeable mofos care to comment?

>> Holy ****ing ****.

>If she was stuck to the couch, I wonder where she got the food from to
>maintain her weight?
>
>But 600 pounds ain't **** man. Get a load of this ******.

Someone was feeding these people. That's messed up.

JT

>From: John Forrest Tomlinson

>Someone was feeding these people. That's messed up.

Agreed, messed up, but what's more messed up is that someone was cleaning up,
too.

Now there's enabling. Oh, the humanity --TP

I would agree that many are at fault, including the victim. However, these
food producers are particularly at fault in that they have engaged
biochemists to engineer foods that are addictive. The chemistry is based on
evolutionary "taste", in that humans enjoy high energy survival nutrients
such as (as per Mary) sugar, oil (fat), salt.
Tobacco companies are similarly innovative.
A similar argument could be engaged in regards to the drug war. Is the
problem supply or demand? Liberals attack the demand, conservatives attack
the supply.
Historically, it's always been easier to attack supply, than it is to attack
demand. Reducing demand requires creativity, and it's hard to prove (and
fund related programs) a negative. Did our action truly prevent the
obesity? Hard to say. However, if we cut the supply of harmful food by
half (thus doubling the price), we would see an effect. Sadly, addicts
would find a cheaper source, more likely.
Funny, this also could be applied to the fossil fuel debate...

--
--------------------------
Andre Charlebois
AGC-PC support
http://agc-pc.tripod.com
BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+

"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > True - Sugar, Oil, and Salt are very cheap and have been poured into

foods
> > in the USA to increase profit margins.
> > Almost anything you pick up in a store is over 30% in one of these
> > catagories.
> > Corperate Maggots.

> Puh-leeze!
>
> Spare us all your low-brow anti-corporate garbage spew. 'Corporate

Maggots'
> don't force somebody to consciously eat themselves to 600 pounds. I'm
> sorry, but that woman and the enablers who are continuing to bring food to
> her are 100% at fault here.
>
> I'm just wondering if the phenomena of super-morbid obesity exits in

Europe,
> that's all.

"Mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Only in America (and Canada, to a somewhat equal extent) is unhealthy

food
> > so unbelievably cheap. It's all based on volume \ low profit margin per
> > unit. The food involved (probably high glycemic index stuff) is cheap

> > produce due to the vast sugar-producing capacity of the US great plains

> and
> > Canadian prairies. Comparitively, healthy, lower glycemic index items

are
> > more expensive to produce \ sell, and so are produced \ consumed less.
> > Also, the level of automation \ service on this continent is such that a
> > person could actually survive without ever leaving the house. In fact,

> > believe this was the challenge of a recent ill-conceived reality tv

show,
> > where the contestants were issued a credit card, internet access, and

> phone,
> > whilst confined to a house. They had to survive, and apparently had

> little
> > difficulty...
> >

> True - Sugar, Oil, and Salt are very cheap and have been poured into foods
> in the USA to increase profit margins.

Substitute "Sugar" with "High-fructose Corn Syrup." Sugar is too expensive.

> Almost anything you pick up in a store is over 30% in one of these
> catagories.

I don't know if I'd go that far.

> Corperate Maggots.

Damn them!

Dave

> Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:29:31 -0500, hold my wrote:
> > >http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html
> > >Any of you more Euro-knowledgeable mofos care to comment?

> > Holy ****ing ****.

> If she was stuck to the couch, I wonder where she got the food from to
> maintain her weight?
>
> But 600 pounds ain't **** man. Get a load of this ******.
>
> There's a disgusting piccy of him in today's ``24 Hours'' (a local Free
> NewsSheet) but I could only find the original story on the web.
>
> http://www.keloland.com/News/EyeonKELOLAND/NewsDetail4790.cfm?Id=22,33881

This one cracked me up when I saw it in the news. This guy had three relapes
after losing hundreds of pounds.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/363626.stm

hold my beer and watch this... wrote:
> "Mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>True - Sugar, Oil, and Salt are very cheap and have been poured into foods
>>in the USA to increase profit margins.
>>Almost anything you pick up in a store is over 30% in one of these
>>catagories.
>>Corperate Maggots.

> Puh-leeze!
>
> Spare us all your low-brow anti-corporate garbage spew. 'Corporate Maggots'
> don't force somebody to consciously eat themselves to 600 pounds. I'm
> sorry, but that woman and the enablers who are continuing to bring food to
> her are 100% at fault here.

The "individuality" argument against insights deduced by statistical
observations sounds good at first, but if you think about it, it doesn't
change the fact that there are correlations.
Needless to say, statistical correlation also doesn't lessen the
individual responsibility.

Wait, let me see if I have this right. You think that there are nefarious
biochemists out there who have engineered foods that are so addictive so you
don't have the choice not to eat them. Did I get that right?

Wow, you're a whack job, man...

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would agree that many are at fault, including the victim. However,

these
> food producers are particularly at fault in that they have engaged
> biochemists to engineer foods that are addictive. The chemistry is based

on
> evolutionary "taste", in that humans enjoy high energy survival nutrients
> such as (as per Mary) sugar, oil (fat), salt.
> Tobacco companies are similarly innovative.
> A similar argument could be engaged in regards to the drug war. Is the
> problem supply or demand? Liberals attack the demand, conservatives

attack
> the supply.
> Historically, it's always been easier to attack supply, than it is to

attack
> demand. Reducing demand requires creativity, and it's hard to prove (and
> fund related programs) a negative. Did our action truly prevent the
> obesity? Hard to say. However, if we cut the supply of harmful food by
> half (thus doubling the price), we would see an effect. Sadly, addicts
> would find a cheaper source, more likely.
> Funny, this also could be applied to the fossil fuel debate...
>
> --
> --------------------------
> Andre Charlebois
> AGC-PC support
> http://agc-pc.tripod.com
> BPE, MCSE4.0, CNA, A+
>
> "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > True - Sugar, Oil, and Salt are very cheap and have been poured into

> foods
> > > in the USA to increase profit margins.
> > > Almost anything you pick up in a store is over 30% in one of these
> > > catagories.
> > > Corperate Maggots.

> > Puh-leeze!
> >
> > Spare us all your low-brow anti-corporate garbage spew. 'Corporate

> Maggots'
> > don't force somebody to consciously eat themselves to 600 pounds. I'm
> > sorry, but that woman and the enablers who are continuing to bring food

> > her are 100% at fault here.
> >
> > I'm just wondering if the phenomena of super-morbid obesity exits in

> Europe,
> > that's all.

Not to feed the 'Evil Corporations Made Me Do it' mindset, but the
replacement of sugar with high-fructose corn syrup in manufactured foods has
been one of the many unintended consequences of gummint farm subsidies.
Corn subsidies have allowed farmers to continue to be able to make money
growing corn no one really needs, so, since the corn is basically free, its
cheaper to make and use high fructose corn syrup for food manufacturing than
it is to buy sugar (and the sugar manufacturers don't represent a big or
well-connected constituency).

Welfare farming, man. Its great ****.

"Pistof" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Only in America (and Canada, to a somewhat equal extent) is unhealthy

> food
> > > so unbelievably cheap. It's all based on volume \ low profit margin

per
> > > unit. The food involved (probably high glycemic index stuff) is cheap

> > > produce due to the vast sugar-producing capacity of the US great

plains
> > and
> > > Canadian prairies. Comparitively, healthy, lower glycemic index items

> are
> > > more expensive to produce \ sell, and so are produced \ consumed less.
> > > Also, the level of automation \ service on this continent is such that

> > > person could actually survive without ever leaving the house. In

fact,
> > > believe this was the challenge of a recent ill-conceived reality tv

> show,
> > > where the contestants were issued a credit card, internet access, and

> > phone,
> > > whilst confined to a house. They had to survive, and apparently had

> > little
> > > difficulty...
> > >

> > True - Sugar, Oil, and Salt are very cheap and have been poured into

foods
> > in the USA to increase profit margins.

> Substitute "Sugar" with "High-fructose Corn Syrup." Sugar is too

expensive.

> > Almost anything you pick up in a store is over 30% in one of these
> > catagories.

> I don't know if I'd go that far.
>
> > Corperate Maggots.

> Damn them!
>
> Dave

"Andre" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> A similar argument could be engaged in regards to the drug war. Is
> the problem supply or demand? Liberals attack the demand,
> conservatives attack the supply.

I don't think that's right. Concervatives (at least in the U.S.) have
attacked both the supply (war on drugs - which, btw, liberals have
continued i.e. Bill Clinton) AND the demand (the Just Say No program that
Nancy Reagan was responsible for - may not have been super creative but it
*was* an attack against the demand). The liberals, as far as I know, just
want to legalize it (at least pot) so they can tax it and because they feel
that people who smoke pot are not criminals.

On the other hand, cigarettes could be considered a drug and both
concervatives and liberals have attacked both the supply (lawsuits against
tobacco companies) and the demand (lots of education about the dangers of
smoking not to mention the warning labels on cigarettes).

Like most problems, attacking both the supply and the demand is probably
the correct solutions (assuming legalizing them is not a solution).

[email protected] wrote:
> Ewoud Dronkert <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:29:31 -0500, hold my wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.wftv.com/news/3643877/detail.html
>>>Any of you more Euro-knowledgeable mofos care to comment?

>>Holy ****ing ****.

> If she was stuck to the couch, I wonder where she got the food from to
> maintain her weight?
>
> But 600 pounds ain't **** man. Get a load of this ******.
>
> There's a disgusting piccy of him in today's ``24 Hours'' (a local Free
> NewsSheet) but I could only find the original story on the web.
>
> http://www.keloland.com/News/EyeonKELOLAND/NewsDetail4790.cfm?Id=22,33881

It's not just the weight, it's that her skin had grafted to the ******
couch!