Offroad Tour of North America

A hypothetical exercise for y'all (not so hypothetical, actually) -
devise a loooong bike trip through the US and Canada.

Starting point not important, preferable end point somwhere in the SW,
nearer the Mexico border rather than further away from it. No time
limits, but climate has to be factored in, of course. Interesting ways
to link up the areas covered mandatory. Equal emphasis on both day MTB
rides, and long connecting links through wilderness territory.

Your turn.

Pete

[email protected] wrote:
> A hypothetical exercise for y'all (not so hypothetical, actually) -
> devise a loooong bike trip through the US and Canada.
>
> Starting point not important, preferable end point somwhere in the SW,
> nearer the Mexico border rather than further away from it. No time
> limits, but climate has to be factored in, of course. Interesting ways
> to link up the areas covered mandatory. Equal emphasis on both day MTB
> rides, and long connecting links through wilderness territory.
>
> Your turn.
>
> Pete

I'll throw in on this. You could start with the Great Divide Trail. Fly
into Phoenix or Albuquerque and catch a ride to the border at Antelope
Wells, New Mexico and take the Great Divide Trai, northbound.

http://www.cdtrail.org/

http://www.cdtsociety.org/

This is the opposite direstion that the trail race is run, but since
you are starting at the southern border, you can start earlier in the
spring. Hikers tend to start in March or early April. We generally
start seeing through riders in late April to early May ... heading
North.

If you need more information, let me know. I can provide locations for
warm showers and hot tubs along the New Mexico section.

> A hypothetical exercise for y'all (not so hypothetical, actually) -
> devise a loooong bike trip through the US and Canada.
>
> Starting point not important, preferable end point somwhere in the SW,
> nearer the Mexico border rather than further away from it. No time
> limits, but climate has to be factored in, of course. Interesting ways
> to link up the areas covered mandatory. Equal emphasis on both day MTB
> rides, and long connecting links through wilderness territory.
>
> Your turn.
>
> Pete

This is not a hypothetical trip. Check out Scott Morris' great divide
trail trip log on his web
site, linked below.

http://www.topofusion.com/divide/

[email protected] wrote:
> A hypothetical exercise for y'all (not so hypothetical, actually) -
> devise a loooong bike trip through the US and Canada.
>
> Starting point not important, preferable end point somwhere in the SW,
> nearer the Mexico border rather than further away from it. No time
> limits, but climate has to be factored in, of course. Interesting ways
> to link up the areas covered mandatory. Equal emphasis on both day MTB
> rides, and long connecting links through wilderness territory.
>
> Your turn.
>
> Pete

Not road, not offroad either, but might be good for connecting:

http://www.railtrails.org/index.html

/s

[email protected] wrote:
> A hypothetical exercise for y'all (not so hypothetical, actually) -
> devise a loooong bike trip through the US and Canada.
>
> Starting point not important, preferable end point somwhere in the SW,
> nearer the Mexico border rather than further away from it. No time
> limits, but climate has to be factored in, of course. Interesting ways
> to link up the areas covered mandatory. Equal emphasis on both day MTB
> rides, and long connecting links through wilderness territory.
>
> Your turn.

I have an idea, but it's not what other people have done. I'm not
going to post it in the open, so if you want to hear it, drop me an
email, mate.

JD

JD wrote:

> I have an idea, but it's not what other people have done. I'm not
> going to post it in the open, so if you want to hear it, drop me an
> email, mate.

Dude, even Pete can't wheelie drop from the moon.

CC

On Dec 4, 6:29 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> A hypothetical exercise for y'all (not so hypothetical, actually) -
> devise a loooong bike trip through the US and Canada.
>
> Starting point not important, preferable end point somwhere in the SW,
> nearer the Mexico border rather than further away from it.

Keep them coming. I'd completely forgotten about the Continental Divide
- good call, and I guess elements of it will be incorporated. BUT: a) I
don't want to plough a recognised furrow, and b) I'm not after a linear
A-B route.

JD, what email address do you use these days? I'm off on the bike for a
couple of months tomorrow, so I may take a day or two to respond.

Pete

> Keep them coming. I'd completely forgotten about the Continental Divide

From what I understand it is over rated and not a lot of fun.

Per
http://lowdin.nu