Offseason problems

I just figured I was a windy old gas bag. :D

EDIT: One more gas bag tip... I'd be wary about putting an expensive carbon fiber or al bike in a trainer just from what I've read on this forum. Also, I would do any hard efforts seated as the frame will flex much differently under load in a trainer than on the road. OK, 2 gas bag tips.

I did 3018 miles last year and I mostly stopped biking during winter. I gained about 4 to 6 lbs and my weight stays around there without exercising. This also happened to me last year during my winter break. So when you don't exercise during winter you gain some weight and then your body seems to adjust it's metabolism / weight level to your slightly higher weight.

To lose 5 lbs is only 1 to 2 months of biking.

JTE83 said:
I did 3018 miles last year and I mostly stopped biking during winter. I gained about 4 to 6 lbs and my weight stays around there without exercising. This also happened to me last year during my winter break. So when you don't exercise during winter you gain some weight and then your body seems to adjust it's metabolism / weight level to your slightly higher weight.

To lose 5 lbs is only 1 to 2 months of biking.
How many miles is 5 lbs??? :0

yjuosj said:
Depends on how fast you go!

Well, a pound of fat is about 3500 Calories, so that's 17,500 Calories.

Biking you burn maybe 30-40 Calories a mile (a very rough estimate I've seen somewhere), so that'd be 437 - 583 miles. Maybe more, maybe less.

That assumes you don't start eating more when you start training, which would be a mistake. You've got to fuel your body properly to train well.

My normal winter weight gain is more like 10 pounds, probably be late spring before I've got it all off. Hopefully I'll do better this year, as I've gotten back on the trainer earlier.

yjuosj said:
Apperantly you never had 30 m/h winds hitting your face! 39 degrees isn't as nice as you might think.

Can't your ride off-road? Riding in parks/forests helps against the wind. Speeds are also lower, it helps to stay warm. My personal best is -19 degree celsius (-2 fahrenheit). Today I spend 1:40 riding outside, partly on streets, partly in the nearest park. It was -2 degrees celsuis and moderate wind. But I ride on an MTB, not a road bike.

yjuosj said:

I lost 5 lbs in 1 month when I was working as a bike messenger. I did 634.2 miles. I didn't diet but I didn't overeat either. While losing this weight I occasionally treated myself to MS. Fields cookies while on the job in downtown Chicago.

I'll never work as a bike messenger during winter. I only took this job because I was unemployed and I liked the idea of being paid to bike. The pay sucked so I quit. Was good training though and it made me faster.

JTE83 said:
I lost 5 lbs in 1 month when I was working as a bike messenger. I did 634.2 miles. I didn't diet but I didn't overeat either. While losing this weight I occasionally treated myself to MS. Fields cookies while on the job in downtown Chicago.

I'll never work as a bike messenger during winter. I only took this job because I was unemployed and I liked the idea of being paid to bike. The pay sucked so I quit. Was good training though and it made me faster.
So you guys are saying that loosing weight on a bike depends on what your diet is?

yjuosj said:
So you guys are saying that losing weight on a bike depends on what your diet is?

That's been my experience, and that of almost everyone replying here. I racked up three years of about 8-10000 miles/year, only losing 3 or so pounds. When I changed my diet, BOOM, 20 pounds in a year, with no significant volume increase. This also depends on where you're starting from, and what your goals are. A lot of people do experience some initial weight loss, without dieting, when starting an exercise program.

This initial loss will level out eventually. Your appetite is a very well-designed evolutionary mechanism. It tries very, very hard to keep you in a neutral to slightly-positive caloric balance. Unless you ride positively HUGE volumes of miles (we're talking >20 hours/wk, here), your appetite will just ramp up to meet your higher caloric needs. For most people, the only way to achieve a negative caloric balance is to deny your appetite some of what it wants, by restricting caloric intake. So, once your weight levels off, you'll have some decisions to make.

Are you losing weight to be healthier? Well, then, unless you're obese (as opposed to merely overweight), current available evidence indicates that it's much more important to be fit than light.

Are you losing weight to look better, or feel better about yourself? If so, the odds are excellent that you won't find what you're looking for in the readout of a scale, no matter how light you get. Dieting to fulfill emotional needs is a dangerous game; most people do it to some extent, but disordererd eating, with its attendant psychological and physical problems, are not too far down this road.

Are you losing weight to improve your performance on the bike? Again, proceed with caution; caloric deficits can be very stressful on the body, and the body can be extremely reluctant to "build up" when it detects that it's being starved. This can lead to difficulty with the sort of intense training that is most effective at improving cycling fitness, or impaired recovery, or reduced gains from the same training load. You also have to know when to stop. When you first start seeing performance gains from reducing body mass, it becomes tempting to see how far you can take it. Resist that urge. (You may hear the recently bruised voice of experience in this paragraph...).

yjuosj said:
So you guys are saying that loosing weight on a bike depends on what your diet is?
In a single word ... YES!

Even Lance Armstrong with all of the friggin' miles he rode training for the TdF, weighed his food and ate a precise amount so he wouldn't be too heavy in July. Now, if Lance needs to watch his diet, what's that say about guys like us? Capice?

I found that you should not eat too much the day after a long ride, or else your body will put back the weight you just burned off. I usually eat protein powered ON's Whey after a workout and the day after.

Doctor Morbius said:
In a single word ... YES!

Even Lance Armstrong with all of the friggin' miles he rode training for the TdF, weighed his food and ate a precise amount so he wouldn't be too heavy in July. Now, if Lance needs to watch his diet, what's that say about guys like us? Capice?

"Competitive sport begins where healthy sport ends," said Bertold Brecht.

What's appropriate for pros is often inappropriate for amateurs, and what's appropriate for amateurs isn't always appropriate for non-competitive, fitness-oriented cyclists. Pro athletes take risks with their long-term health status that would be extremely foolhardy for people who don't make their living riding bikes. Lance weighs his food because he is (or was) trying to get his body composition down to something like 3-5% BF. For most of us, getting down to 3% body fat will just make us very, very sick, not make us supermen. Also, and I'm not pointing any fingers here, we frankly have no idea what kinds of drugs these guys are on. Lurking on some bodybuilder forums certainly might give you some ideas about how these guys handle huge aerobic training loads (extremely catabolic) while severely restricting calories (MEGA SUPER catabolic) without wasting significant muscle mass, though.

The point stands, though, that diet is a way more effective way of influencing body mass than training. I just wouldn't try to pick any pro athlete as a diet role model...

JTE83 said:
I found that you should not eat too much the day after a long ride, or else your body will put back the weight you just burned off. I usually eat protein powered ON's Whey after a workout and the day after.
Wow that's an exciting way to eat (drink really) for a day and a half. I'm sure there's many other wheys (oops I mean ways) one can control their calorie intake so as to not go overboard.

JS

dhk said:
Doc, you must be thinking and typing fast today. The ample supply of glycogen to your brain tells me your probably not riding enough in the off-season. I just finished a 64 miler today in sunny, 68* weather, so this will be brief.

68* degrees on 13 of January? IT IS NOT THE WINTER! You must have no off-season. Here it's now -24 degrees (fahrenheit, -32 celsius) outside. I don't even want to ride on a trainer.

kmavm said:
"Competitive sport begins where healthy sport ends," said Bertold Brecht.

What's appropriate for pros is often inappropriate for amateurs, and what's appropriate for amateurs isn't always appropriate for non-competitive, fitness-oriented cyclists.
I absolutely agree. The point I was trying to drive home was that no amount of training will make up for a poor diet. I wasn't suggesting he train like Armstrong.

dot said:
68* degrees on 13 of January? IT IS NOT THE WINTER! You must have no off-season.
No, it's just unseasonably warm in many parts of the U.S. this Winter. I live in Indiana and have never seen anything like it. Yesteray there was snow on the ground and today it is sunny and 55 F.

dot said:
68* degrees on 13 of January? IT IS NOT THE WINTER! You must have no off-season. Here it's now -24 degrees (fahrenheit, -32 celsius) outside. I don't even want to ride on a trainer.
Wow...that's cold! You must be in Alaska, Canada, or at least somewhere well north of Alabama. We do have rainy days during the winter, but the high is generally well above freezing so riding in the middle of the day is usually no problem.

Not to complain or anything, but a year-round season can be a bit of a curse too since there's no forced downtime for recovery or cross-training. It's hard to stay off the bike when the weather is 50-60F and sunny. Things are tough, I know :)

dhk said:
Wow...that's cold! You must be in Alaska, Canada, or at least somewhere well north of Alabama. We do have rainy days during the winter, but the high is generally well above freezing so riding in the middle of the day is usually no problem.

Not to complain or anything, but a year-round season can be a bit of a curse too since there's no forced downtime for recovery or cross-training. It's hard to stay off the bike when the weather is 50-60F and sunny. Things are tough, I know :)

I live in Moscow. I'm just complaining for last three days when it suddenly got that cold and we've got to stand this temperature for at least two more days. Most winter weekends weather it's pretty bearable so I ride or run or ski. Riding on the snow is special fun.
And you're right on cross-training and recovery: through a six month season I easily got fed up with cycling so I usually had to take a week off in the middle of the summer. Sometimes during off-season I could not touch my bike for months. I even regret that local winters are inconsistent with their sudden frosts and thaws so I can not devote myself to XC skiing completely (how many real skiers do).

jrstevens said:
Wow that's an exciting way to eat (drink really) for a day and a half. I'm sure there's many other wheys (oops I mean ways) one can control their calorie intake so as to not go overboard.

JS

Oh, I just eat anything the day after a workout. But I make sure I drink protein powder afterwards. I don't know why I still lost lean mass after losing weight.