OGrady Wins Roubaix

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by MPCRUSHER, Apr 15, 2007.

1. MPCRUSHER

MPCRUSHER New Member

Aussie Aussie Aussie

Well done great race hell of a win.

Tags:

2. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

LOL. Make sure it is a spoiler for all the people who did not see it... ;)

3. Eagle of Toledo

Eagle of Toledo New Member

A gutsy ride and a well-deserved win, attacked with ~20KM to go and held them off by almost a minute.

Winning on the velodrome was very fitting for him. As someone who also used to ride through the Adelaide Hills (Stueys old training ground) it makes me very proud - you little beauty!!

4. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Awesome ! couldn't have happened to a nicer guy... O'Grady was in tears as he crossed the line... didn't stop crying for nearly 30 minites after the race... Riis gave me a massive hug after the race.... all class O'Grady and you should have heard the cheer from the French crowd as he won... they love him from his CA days.... did something Hincapie will never do... win ROUBAIX ! and legend spoke fluent French in the post race interview..... he said its been his dream since he was 13 to win Roubaix.... thanked the CA team for his time to learn the race.... the CSC sat around him at the post race interview... awesome...

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Agreed - great footage after the end of the stage.
    Stuey seems to be a very popular figire both within and without his team.
    He's a class act.

6. Jono L

Jono L Well-Known Member

Go Stueeyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. patch70

patch70 New Member

What he said!!!!!

8. Eagle of Toledo

Eagle of Toledo New Member

12 hours later and I am still making Leighton Hewitt-style fist pumping gestures. Man that was a huge ride from a guy with a huge heart. My first time watching P-R live, good time to start.

All we need now is for Cadel to take the TDF.

What about Baldato though? I'm the same age, heck I don't feel so old anymore...

9. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Great win. He just rode with it.

10. moggy

moggy New Member

he is all class and has been knocking on the door of a classics win all this season...........well done stuey.....you little beauty!!!!!!!!

there is no cleaner win than to ride the opposition off your wheel

Go the flying freckle!!!!

ossie,ossie,ossie!!!!!

11. sogood

sogood New Member

Great win! Received coverage on SBS and ABC in the evening news. Commercial operator Ch 9 didn't have any mention of it.

Waiting for the clips to come out on YouTube.com...

12. heinkel12

heinkel12 New Member

Channel nine reported it on their 11AM bulletin which shocked me no end!

13. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

I think there is no cleaner winner than O'Grady........ more honor than the drugged up QuickStep boys and those from the Discovery channel....

14. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Did they wheel Ray Martin out ?

15. thunder

thunder New Member

well, atleast you qualified it with "cleaner" and "winner". He could be the cleanest winner, but still doping. Just the rest of the winners are hyped.

I think this season more than others, the peloton appears cleaner apart from the Iberian peninsula.

Gaumont would have a few things to say about O'Grady's respective clean status. He said White and O'Grady partook, and Stuey was doing stuff before a timetrial. That made me suspicious, because I knew Gaumont was busted pretty early in the '04 season, and O'Grady and White only transferred to Cofidis in '04. Early 2004, few timetrials and prologues. I could not find a cross reference where Gaumont and O'Grady were on the same squad with a timetrial in it before Gaumont was busted. So Gaumont may have been making it up.

O'Grady did dedicate a stage victory in that 2004 Tour, to the busted David Millar, which was a very misguided act. They might be great mates, but that is verging on endorsing Millar, which is a small step away from endorsing one's own use.

I would like to think he is clean, and the peloton is cleaner. Boonen still has awesome sprinting legs, so he is still improving, one wonders why his form has disappeared this year. Has it anything to do with the Lefevre scandal. Any reasonable person would admit to a sneaking suspicion.

Good win by Stuey.

16. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

The only person I wanted to win more than O'Grady was Roger Hammond. To be honest, I never thought he would do it, but he did it with great class and there is nothing better than winning P-R by riding into the velodrome by yourself.

Absolutely beautiful win.

17. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

Just watched the replay on Cycling.tv/...Awesome race, awesome win!

18. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Great job for Stuart!

"I was going to win today or die trying,"
    - Stuart O'Grady

WBT, what a dork!

-

19. micron

micron New Member

superb win by O'Grady - and great to see the early break succeed - he'd been out there since 45 kms and then rode the last 30 alone to finish 'en beaute' as the French would say. And he is hugely popular in Frqance. It was one of those 'couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke' wins.

Considering what a marked man Boonen was he took his 6th place with great panache - shame there were so many riders content just to sit on his wheel...

20. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

Agreed. This is the way Hincapie should have ridden but he always followed wheels instead of taking the initiative...