O'Groats to Lands End via bridle paths - possible?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Petal Puss, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Petal Puss

    Petal Puss Guest

    I am an Australian interested in walking John O'Groats to Lands End. I have done four trips to
    Britain and absolutely love walking the UK country side. Is it possible to walk End to End via
    bridle paths and walking paths only? How long is the average walk duration? Any good web sites where
    I can get info? Thanks Jo

    Tags:

  2. Reid

    Reid Guest

    Following up to petal puss

    >Is it possible to walk End to End via bridle paths and walking paths only?

    there's a book of a chap doing this, he's written several walking books, John something? Someone
    will know!
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
    etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-

  3. Reid

    Reid Guest

    Following up to Reid

    >Following up to petal puss
    >
    >>Is it possible to walk End to End via bridle paths and walking paths only?
    >
    >there's a book of a chap doing this, he's written several walking books, John something? Someone
    >will know!

    Clare, Clear?

    This isnt it but:- "http://www.mayfair.u-net.com/walk.html" says this Land's End to John o'Groats -
    A Choice of Footpaths for Walking the Length of Britain" - Andrew McCloy, £6.99 Hodder & Stoughton
    (1995) 0-340-63750-1. An excellent place to continue your preparation for the Walk. Also available
    in Hardback, but don't bother because you'll probably want to take it with you. The book
    details three routes from Land's End, including the masochistic Easterly route via Newmarket
    and Lincoln. Also includes an Appendix on Equipment and Preparation (although not as good as
    this page!), and a comprehensive Bibliography (better than this page).
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
    etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-
    walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  4. Druidh

    Druidh Guest

    [email protected] (petal puss) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am an Australian interested in walking John O'Groats to Lands End. I have done four trips to
    > Britain and absolutely love walking the UK country side. Is it possible to walk End to End via
    > bridle paths and walking paths only? How long is the average walk duration? Any good web sites
    > where I can get info? Thanks Jo

    Well, as far a Scotland is concerned, there are a couple of well-known footpaths which would get you
    from Inverness to Glasgow - the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way. Both have a (very) little
    road walking, but on quiet roads. From the Glasgow to the Border, there have been a number of
    suggestions. Try "Walking the Watershed" (TacIT press) and a book called "Scotland's Hill Tracks"
    from the Scottish Rights of Way society for a variety of other routes, many of which could be used.

    ON the other hand, why not have a look at http://www.jbutler.org.uk/e2e/ssw/index.shtml if you want
    it all planned for you. .

  5. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?

    These may help as well http://www.ldwa.org.uk/

    http://www.fatbadgers.co.uk/Britain/longdist.htm

    and this is pretty good for filling in the gaps http://www.xs4all.nl/~keizee/index.html

    "Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Following up to petal puss
    >
    > >Is it possible to walk End to End via bridle paths and walking paths only?
    >
    > there's a book of a chap doing this, he's written several walking books, John something? Someone
    > will know!
    > --
    > Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
    > etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <--
    you can email [email protected] this site
    > Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all,
    it's a spamtrap

  6. Reid

    Reid Guest

  7. Duncan Gray

    Duncan Gray Guest

    "druidh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (petal puss) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am an Australian interested in walking John O'Groats to Lands End. I have done four trips to
    > > Britain and absolutely love walking the UK country side. Is it possible to walk End to End via
    > > bridle paths and walking paths only? How long is the average walk duration? Any good web sites
    > > where I can get info? Thanks Jo
    >
    > Well, as far a Scotland is concerned, there are a couple of well-known footpaths which would get
    > you from Inverness to Glasgow - the West Highland Way and the Great Glen Way. Both have a (very)
    > little road walking, but on quiet roads. From the Glasgow to the Border, there have been a number
    > of suggestions. Try "Walking the Watershed" (TacIT press) and a book called "Scotland's Hill
    > Tracks" from the Scottish Rights of Way society for a variety of other routes, many of which could
    > be used.

    Hamish Browns Book From the Pennines to the Highlands (ISBN 1-874027-37-4) gives a 13 day route
    connecting the Pennine and West Highland Ways

    --
    Duncan Gray

    homepage - www.duncolm.co.uk also www.mountaineering-scotland.org.uk The Mountaineering Council
    of Scotland

  8. Petal Puss

    Petal Puss Guest

    Thank you everyone for your input. I have had a quick look at your book and site suggestions
    and they look like they will get me on my way. Thanks again - maybe I'll see you out walking
    one day!! Jo

  9. Stuart Mann

    Stuart Mann Guest

    Reid <[email protected]er.co.uk> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Following up to Bryan Hall
    >
    >>Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?
    >
    > that's it, thanks.

    There's also "Journey through Britain" by John Hillaby - which was my nightly reading many years ago
    whilst cycling end-to-end.

    I couldn't remember the title so I did a Google search and came up with this site
    http://www.landsendjohnogroats.com - it looks like an excellent resource, with an extensive booklist
    including one book by urw-contributor Chris Townsend.

    Enjoy planning your trip! You'll see some wonderful and varied scenery - but if that is your main
    objective I suggest that you select your route with that in mind rather than taking the shortest
    possible line.

    Stuart

  10. Reid

    Reid Guest

    Following up to Stuart Mann

    >>>Turn Right at Land's End - John N Merrill ?
    >>
    >> that's it, thanks.
    >
    >There's also "Journey through Britain" by John Hillaby - which was my nightly reading many years
    >ago whilst cycling end-to-end.

    or rather that's it :-S Perhaps I read them both?
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
    etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-
    walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  11. Bryan Hall

    Bryan Hall Guest

    Ah .... John Hillaby - that was the other name!

    Wrote possibly one of the most heart wrenching books on walking I've ever read, following the death
    of his wife. Title escapes me know - so what was that one Mike?

    "Reid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Following up to Stuart Mann

    > >> that's it, thanks.
    > >
    > >There's also "Journey through Britain" by John Hillaby - which was my nightly reading many years
    > >ago whilst cycling end-to-end.
    >
    > or rather that's it :-S Perhaps I read them both?
    > --
    > Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
    > etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <--
    you can email [email protected] this site
    > Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all,
    it's a spamtrap

  12. Reid

    Reid Guest

    Following up to Bryan Hall

    >Wrote possibly one of the most heart wrenching books on walking I've ever read, following the death
    >of his wife. Title escapes me know - so what was that one Mike?

    "Walking through Love" IIRC. I tried Goggle but found nothing quickly.
    --
    Mike Reid "Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso Walking, Wasdale, Thames path, London
    etc "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" <-- you can email [email protected] this site Spain, food and walking "http://www.fell-
    walker.co.uk" <-- [email protected] all, it's a spamtrap

  13. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:12:24 +0000, Reid <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Following up to Bryan Hall
    >
    >>Wrote possibly one of the most heart wrenching books on walking I've ever read, following the
    >>death of his wife. Title escapes me know - so what was that one Mike?
    >
    >"Walking through Love" IIRC. I tried Goggle but found nothing quickly.

    Journey through Love, I think.

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

  14. Reid

    Reid Guest

    Following up to Paul Rooney

    >>"Walking through Love" IIRC. I tried Goggle but found nothing quickly.
    >
    >Journey through Love, I think.

    no wonder it wouldn't Google!
    "www.traveldirectorynet.co.uk/books/JON/0094602905_Journey_Through_Love.html"