Oh - and now it begins

Well surprise,surprise,surprise this race really isn't over (he said with sarcasm).
Who would have thought?

By the way I was very happy to see Beloki entering the finish with the first group, Armstrong, Ullrich etc. He is still afraid of the descents as he was the last man of the group on the way down, but he did not lose any time to the big guys. BRAVO for this man!!

I was happy to see Beloki too. It was terrible watching him struggle after the crash. He's better now, and everyone was questioning his placement on the Tour squad.

I was also wondering if everyone here remembers the day before L'Alpe d'Huez in 2001. He hadn't felt to well the day before and the most part of the stage to L'Alpe, but I know everyone has seen what he did to everyone else on the climb.

Phil and Paul both said that the Discovery team had used the gears they have been using on the flats, not their mountain gears. I think they'll be back tomorrow no problem. Lance was the only one who used different gears.

I´m sure Bruyneel is not happy now... What happened to those guys... Popovych, Savoldelli, Azevedo, etc were all dropped... Maybe what happened is that when Vino attacked Armstrong he could match Vino and the others couldn´t, since Armstrong is more explosive than the others. Or maybe there was a tatical error because Discovery guys weren´t ahead of the peloton as they usually are in mountain days, putting the pace they want. 1st there were 2 or 3 Balleares guys there, after Vino jumped and then we saw a mix of climbers in the chasing group.

Or maybe those guys are old, tired from a Giro and busts.

Hopefully Discovery does well tomorrow and Armstrong trows a punch in his rivals.;)

MJtje said:
And did you see Ullrich taking LA back to Vino! That was a stupid mistake from Ulle........he should have waited and eventually LA had to follow Vino.................tactics still not good from Ulle!
When Vinokourov attacked, Armstrong had to counter and Ullrich stayed in the wheel of Armstrong.

Ullrich chased Basso who had placed an attack and Armstrong then was in the wheel of Ullrich, but Ullrich didn´t chase Vinokourov. (at least this was the way it appeared to me)

I too was very surprised that Armstrong was all alone on the last climb and it was great to finally watch Kloden, Vinokourov and Ullrich put the pressure on Armstrong after all these years.

However the real mountains still have to come and it looked bad for Armstrong at a certain moment in the tour of 2003 too and he still came through and won it, so it is too early to draw any real conclusions from today.

I really hope Ullrich can win this tour. :cool:

With the difference that he had a amazing team in 2003.................hopefully his team will be ready the next week. I still find it hard to imagine that they didn't peak right............a popo, azevedo, beltran, rubiera should all be up there with LA.

Hopefully there ferrari engines:cool: will work tomorrow again..............

Watch_be said:
When Vinokourov attacked, Armstrong had to counter and Ullrich stayed in the wheel of Armstrong.

Ullrich chased Basso who had placed an attack and Armstrong then was in the wheel of Ullrich, but Ullrich didn´t chase Vinokourov. (at least this was the way it appeared to me)

I too was very surprised that Armstrong was all alone on the last climb and it was great to finally watch Kloden, Vinokourov and Ullrich put the pressure on Armstrong after all these years.

However the real mountains still have to come and it looked bad for Armstrong at a certain moment in the tour of 2003 too and he still came through and won it, so it is too early to draw any real conclusions from today.

I really hope Ullrich can win this tour. :cool:

MJtje said:
With the difference that he had a amazing team in 2003.................hopefully his team will be ready the next week. I still find it hard to imagine that they didn't peak right............a popo, azevedo, beltran, rubiera should all be up there with LA.

Did anyone notice when Lance was taking his food out of his musette and the camera focussed on him that he threw away two items of food? Is this normal?

MJtje said:

Is it possible that the ProTour requirement of fielding a credible team in all of the year's early events have caused some DSC riders to have peaked too early?

Jep sometimes riders don't need that sort of food.........and then they throw it away. Weening also did that on the last climb. Because every kilogram less counts......lol!

Ullefan said:
Did anyone notice when Lance was taking his food out of his musette and the camera focussed on him that he threw away two items of food? Is this normal?

Well only Padrnos and Delli should maybe have a hard time, because they allready did the Giro. But the rest of the team is only for LA and the tour, so they hardly did any races before the tour. They knew that allready in january..........I still think it was a rare off-day!

strummer_fan said:
Is it possible that the ProTour requirement of fielding a credible team in all of the year's early events have caused some DSC riders to have peaked too early?

Three of Armstrong's teammates finished the stage nearly a minute behind him, and the five others were a whopping 2:30 back.

``We have some talking to do tonight,'' Armstrong said. ``There's a lot of bruised egos on our team and we have to try and recover.''

So who is LA referring to?? Musette have you allready seen that quote:p

MJtje said:
Jep sometimes riders don't need that sort of food.........and then they throw it away. Weening also did that on the last climb. Because every kilogram less counts......lol!
Conspiracy theorists could argue he was throwing away some juice? :p

Other than his team not being around, I didn't think the was the "disaster" that many folks claim. Lance obviously let Kloden go, and was only worried about Ullrich/Vino/Basso. Those guys gained nothing on him today time wise. So long as he stayed in the pack with these guys he was fine. This ride was basically Ulrich's back yard growing up, I'm sure he's done that one before.

Interesting, but not disasterous.....

L

Lonnie Utah said:
Other than his team not being around, I didn't think the was the "disaster" that many folks claim. Lance obviously let Kloden go, and was only worried about Ullrich/Vino/Basso. Those guys gained nothing on him today time wise. So long as he stayed in the pack with these guys he was fine. This ride was basically Ulrich's back yard growing up, I'm sure he's done that one before.

L
Oh yeah Lance will still win the tour though. :rolleyes:

Lol, dude it's obvious you react on each days results! When LA passed Ullrich in the proloque you started the thread 'what's wrong with Jan' and you said things like 'Ulle will lose again, will he ever learn'.... And now all of a sudden LA is out........youre a joke!! Do you even follow the sport or do you only follow the TDF!

Ullefan said:
Oh yeah Lance will still win the tour though. :rolleyes:

MJtje said:
Lol, dude it's obvious you react on each days results! When LA passed Ullrich in the proloque you started the thread 'what's wrong with Jan' and you said things like 'Ulle will lose again, will he ever learn'.... And now all of a sudden LA is out........youre a joke!! Do you even follow the sport or do you only follow the TDF!
You're a joke for not understanding why Jan always finishes high in the sprints. :cool:
I've never said that Lance look's 'out' once.

Pff the question WHY: because that's obvious, if you stay near the front you won't crash fast..........that's the only reason!

People noticed that he handled his bike pretty good in sprints........then I merely said he lead-out Zabel a few times in the past......which means he can deal with all the pushing, hitting etc amongst riders in a sprint!

Not more, no less............

Ullefan said:
You're a joke for not understanding why Jan always finishes high in the sprints. :cool:
I've never said that Lance look's 'out' once.

Lonnie Utah said:

L
Not disastrous you say.....!! What IS disastrous is Discovery Channel getting dropped on a cat 2 stage. LA will never be able to ward of attacks from the 'elite bunch' that we saw today.

996vtwin said:
LA will never be able to ward of attacks from the 'elite bunch' that we saw today.
Great! That would force LA to attack himself and we will have much entertaiment. The old rule, when you can not wacth all your rivals, then attack yourself!!!!!!!!

Lonnie Utah said:

L
I could not agree more. One bad day and suddenly everyone is screaming, "Lance and Discovery are done!" It's the first day in the mountains after a hard week on the flats with a lot of time out front for Discovery. Most said this team is BETTER than any other in past Hx. We shall soon see. Heh, at least we have a little excitement going...Look for a nice recovery for Discovery. LOL I couldn't resist.