Oh bother

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by the black rose, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. It looks like the 2005 bikes won't be out in August. More like
    November. I only waited until now because the new bikes were supposed
    to be out this month. If I'd seriously tried to get an '04, I could
    have bought one last month, but at this point, the bike shops are down
    to the last pickings and the manufacturers aren't making any more '04 bikes.

    Oh bother, said Pooh.

    So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
    season. I found this out, came home, stole the last Spaten (straight
    from Munich) out of the fridge, and drank it while pouting, and I'm
    still feeling peevish about it.

    I WANNA NEW BIKE, DAGNABBIT!!!!

    *whine*

    *mutter*

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  2. Paul Bauer

    Paul Bauer Guest

    What were you looking for?

    Paul

    "the black rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > It looks like the 2005 bikes won't be out in August. More like November.
    > I only waited until now because the new bikes were supposed to be out this
    > month. If I'd seriously tried to get an '04, I could have bought one last
    > month, but at this point, the bike shops are down to the last pickings and
    > the manufacturers aren't making any more '04 bikes.
    >
    > Oh bother, said Pooh.
    >
    > So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
    > season. I found this out, came home, stole the last Spaten (straight from
    > Munich) out of the fridge, and drank it while pouting, and I'm still
    > feeling peevish about it.
    >
    > I WANNA NEW BIKE, DAGNABBIT!!!!
    >
    > *whine*
    >
    > *mutter*
    >
    > -km
    >
    > --
    > the black rose
    > proud to be owned by a yorkie
    > http://community.webshots.com/user/blackrosequilts

  3. On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:09 GMT, the black rose
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >It looks like the 2005 bikes won't be out in August. More like
    >November. I only waited until now because the new bikes were supposed
    >to be out this month. If I'd seriously tried to get an '04, I could
    >have bought one last month, but at this point, the bike shops are down
    >to the last pickings and the manufacturers aren't making any more '04 bikes.
    >
    >Oh bother, said Pooh.
    >
    >So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
    >season. I found this out, came home, stole the last Spaten (straight
    >from Munich) out of the fridge, and drank it while pouting, and I'm
    >still feeling peevish about it.

    That's rather excessive--!

    The last time I did anything like that was when my friend (obbike: he
    was a junior XC mountainbike racer as a schoolboy) got his draft
    papers from the Bundeswehr. He and I drank for several days on end,
    in the hopes that his resting blood alcohol level would get up high
    enough to render him unfit for military service.

    >I WANNA NEW BIKE, DAGNABBIT!!!!

    Back to the matter at hand: if the shops are down to their last few,
    you'll be in a great position to get a deal on whatever they've got
    left. It's worth going round and asking....that's how I got my nice
    bike.

    -Luigi

    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
    Photos, Rants, raves

  4. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > Back to the matter at hand: if the shops are down to their last few,
    > you'll be in a great position to get a deal on whatever they've got
    > left. It's worth going round and asking....that's how I got my nice
    > bike.
    >
    > -Luigi

    What he said is true: a friend of mine found a 2003 Specialized Allez for
    $1600 this way about 2 months ago.

    Pat in TX

  5. Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:09 GMT, the black rose
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>It looks like the 2005 bikes won't be out in August. More like
    >>November. I only waited until now because the new bikes were supposed
    >>to be out this month. If I'd seriously tried to get an '04, I could
    >>have bought one last month, but at this point, the bike shops are down
    >>to the last pickings and the manufacturers aren't making any more '04 bikes.
    >>
    >>Oh bother, said Pooh.
    >>
    >>So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
    >>season. I found this out, came home, stole the last Spaten (straight

    >>from Munich) out of the fridge, and drank it while pouting, and I'm

    >>still feeling peevish about it.

    > That's rather excessive--!

    Drinking one beer is excessive? Sure, it was the last one, but geez.

    > Back to the matter at hand: if the shops are down to their last few,
    > you'll be in a great position to get a deal on whatever they've got
    > left. It's worth going round and asking....that's how I got my nice
    > bike.

    Eh, I'm pretty familiar with what's left. Trust me, there aren't any
    bikes left small enough for me, much less women specific.

    I wanted to try stuff. I was hoping to find something women's specific
    (I'm short-waisted, I need a shorter top tube), for the road but with
    relaxed geometry for extended rides, and as light as I can afford. But
    there's nothing to try, and nothing coming in until November.

    Beats me how bike shops stay in business if you can't buy a bike in
    August, ferpetesake.

    *sigh*

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  6. On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 22:56:49 GMT, the black rose
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:09 GMT, the black rose
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>It looks like the 2005 bikes won't be out in August. More like
    >>>November. I only waited until now because the new bikes were supposed
    >>>to be out this month. If I'd seriously tried to get an '04, I could
    >>>have bought one last month, but at this point, the bike shops are down
    >>>to the last pickings and the manufacturers aren't making any more '04 bikes.
    >>>
    >>>Oh bother, said Pooh.
    >>>
    >>>So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
    >>>season. I found this out, came home, stole the last Spaten (straight

    >>>from Munich) out of the fridge, and drank it while pouting, and I'm

    >>>still feeling peevish about it.

    >> That's rather excessive--!

    >Drinking one beer is excessive? Sure, it was the last one, but geez.

    *blinks*

    Oh!

    Somehow, I read "Spatlese" instead. 30cl of beer is one thing; 75 cl
    of wine is quite another. And it was many bottles of really quite
    good Spatlese that my buddy had brought from home that we were
    drinking.

    >> Back to the matter at hand: if the shops are down to their last few,
    >> you'll be in a great position to get a deal on whatever they've got
    >> left. It's worth going round and asking....that's how I got my nice
    >> bike.

    >Eh, I'm pretty familiar with what's left. Trust me, there aren't any
    >bikes left small enough for me, much less women specific.
    >
    >I wanted to try stuff. I was hoping to find something women's specific
    >(I'm short-waisted, I need a shorter top tube), for the road but with
    >relaxed geometry for extended rides, and as light as I can afford. But
    >there's nothing to try, and nothing coming in until November.

    That's funny. The shop down the road from me has a lot of very small
    road bikes hanging around.

    Local supply and demand. It's a killer.

    -Luigi

    >Beats me how bike shops stay in business if you can't buy a bike in
    >August, ferpetesake.
    >
    >*sigh*
    >
    >-km

  7. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:09 GMT,
    <[email protected]>, the black rose
    <[email protected]> lamented, in part:

    >So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
    >season.

    Season?

    If need be, get studded tires for that hybrid. It's your winter bike!

    http://www.icebike.org/
    --
    zk

  8. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writes:
    > Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:45:09 GMT,
    > <[email protected]>, the black rose
    > <[email protected]> lamented, in part:
    >
    >>So I'm stuck with this ding-danged heavy hybrid for the rest of the
    >>season.

    > Season?
    >
    > If need be, get studded tires for that hybrid. It's your winter bike!
    >
    > http://www.icebike.org/

    The last snowfall we had, I tried winterizing my Sekine mixte.
    Lowered the saddle, stuck some non-violent plastic flattie pedals
    on 'er, let some air out of the 27" IRC tires, etc.

    Y'know what? I ain't heavy enough to ride on ice & snow.
    Hell, you're probably even lighter. How do you manage?
    But, y'know those newfangled skimboard things? I bet
    those would be a blast, hanging 10 down Little Mountain.

    Maybe it's a valid tactic to gain weight (if you can)
    over the winter, just to get some traction. Maybe
    poutine & nanaimo bar is the answer.

    cheers, & I don't really like poutine but I do like beaver tails,
    Tom