Oh Bugger :-( New frame or repair?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stan Cox, May 4, 2003.

  1. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Hi All Well today I went out to watch a clubmate do a 25. He had his chain come off & wrap round his
    chainstay. It looks like it just took the paint off. I nodded sagely and pointed to my chainstay
    which I dented the same way about three years ago and said mine's alright because its steel. Riding
    home I had this clicking start up while pedalling. I checked my spokes and everything but could find
    nothing but when I got home I found my chainstay has a lovely crack going more than half way round
    it. The frame is a Columbus Neuron Fausto Coppi. Now the question is do I go for a repair or just
    curse & buy a new frame. If I go for a repair does anyone know of a good repairer in SE England? The
    downside about replacing it is that I would like to buy something really nice & I cant afford it at
    the moment.

    Stan Cox

    P.S. I do have a frame I can build up & use temporarily, its heavy but it will do for a while

    Tags:

  2. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Sun, 4 May 2003 18:30:55 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi All Well today I went out to watch a clubmate do a 25. He had his chain come off & wrap round
    >his chainstay. It looks like it just took the paint off. I nodded sagely and pointed to my
    >chainstay which I dented the same way about three years ago and said mine's alright because its
    >steel. Riding home I had this clicking start up while pedalling. I checked my spokes and everything
    >but could find nothing but when I got home I found my chainstay has a lovely crack going more than
    >half way round it. The frame is a Columbus Neuron Fausto Coppi. Now the question is do I go for a
    >repair or just curse & buy a new frame. If I go for a repair does anyone know of a good repairer in
    >SE England? The downside about replacing it is that I would like to buy something really nice & I
    >cant afford it at the moment.

    Chas Roberts is in Croydon. He can do repairs (or he can sell you a new bike).

    Tim

  3. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 4 May 2003 18:30:55 +0100, "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    > Chas Roberts is in Croydon. He can do repairs (or he can sell you a new bike).
    >

    > Tim

    Tim I have always been a fan Of Chas's work and used to work for a shop that sold lots of them. But
    yesterday my mind was all over the place & I completely forgot about him. I will call him tomorow
    for a chat & probably go for a repair. Thanks a lot for jogging my mind. All the Best

    Stan Cox