Oh Dear ! Ford

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
I see Ford announced a loss of $1.2 billion (and that's prior to the recent hike
in oil prices) for the period Jan-March 2006.

Motor industry is going through a lot of pain.
Peugeot in Britain announced the closure of it's 2,300 people facility this week too.

Scary times.

Indeed. But if Ford & GM would make cars that weren't so shitty, they'd maybe keep a bigger hunk of their market share.

Nissan, Honda, Toyota seems to be where it's at right now.

The US maker's have also concentrated on SUV/land yachts for too long.

Nissan?, Honda?, Toyota? Screw them rice boxes. Toyota is the 4th largest manufacturer in the world and STILL can't produce anything with over 4 cylinders in it. Ford, no one NEEDS a Ford, Found-On-Road-Dead. For-Only-Retarded-Drivers. Come on guys, Chevy, losing money? Please, the biggest in the world (owning an empire of other car companies, so does Ford, but everything THEY own out ranks them), most popular sports car that IS affordable, the Corvette C6R can drive for 24 hours STRAIGHT, at over 170 average mph, and only have one or two problems. Tell me that won't have people buying GM. Caddy, wins the Speed GT, in a CTS-V. I find this thread offending, do any of you guys know ANYTHING about cars?

Yeah mopar, I know a few things about cars - like I wish I still had my '69 Satellite and '74 Barracuda, and that's about the last time when Murka made actually decent cars IMO. But even then they were engineered to break down on a regular basis to keep the parts dealers and garages in biz.

Ford's problem is a lot deeper than their product quality. Their whole business model is unworkable in modern times. Mr. Ford himself wrote that in a letter to the employees and stockholders.

GM's isn't that much different - saddled with 20th century philosophies and union problems.

And that would be Mr. Ford's opinion on the matter, which may or may not be the way the rank & file see things. Stop blaming this on the unions/workers. I'm sure Ford's managers have been compensated very handsomely over the years, much better than the rank & file.

The simple fact is that because of NAFTA, GATT, and "free" trade, US companies are in a race to the bottom - a la Wal-Mart - and US workers consequently are getting focked. The propagandists call it "globalization". It started with Clinton and has been reinforced by Bu$hCo and the GOP Congresses.

Wurm said:
And that would be Mr. Ford's opinion on the matter, which may or may not be the way the rank & file see things. Stop blaming this on the unions/workers. I'm sure Ford's managers have been compensated very handsomely over the years, much better than the rank & file.

The simple fact is that because of NAFTA, GATT, and "free" trade, US companies are in a race to the bottom - a la Wal-Mart - and US workers consequently are getting focked. The propagandists call it "globalization". It started with Clinton and has been reinforced by Bu$hCo and the GOP Congresses.

I'm not exactly blaming the unions for anything they're doing now - the problem is that Ford and the unions signed agreements years ago that obligate them to do things far into the future that they no longer can do. Neither Ford executives nor the unions nor any of their subs will benefit from Ford going under. The only benefactors will be car manufacturers who can compete in the labor market and consumer environment that we have now - because they'll have less competition.

Wurm said:
Yeah mopar, I know a few things about cars - like I wish I still had my '69 Satellite and '74 Barracuda, and that's about the last time when Murka made actually decent cars IMO. But even then they were engineered to break down on a regular basis to keep the parts dealers and garages in biz.
I'm more of a sports car fan, but my family has been Mopar fans forever...Great cars!

Mehh, Ford going bust/downsizing might force people to to buy good cars from Germnay/Japan.

Did you say GOOD car from Japan? Just kidding, they can be pretty good sometimes. Mazda, they have the only win for Japan at LeMans. Subaru, just look at the WRX, it looks like it has some serious muscle for a four cylinder, the same with the Lancer Evolutions. But all cars that come out of Germany are good. Not the best, but acceptionally good, THAT'S why I want a good quality Porsche sooo bad.:D

Eldrack said:
Mehh, Ford going bust/downsizing might force people to to buy good cars from Germnay/Japan.
Our country not supplying health insurance and the auto-companies being liable for that & pensions is what is breaking their backs. Once those items are deducted from the revenue, there is scant left for capital investment :(

davidmc said:
Our country not supplying health insurance and the auto-companies being liable for that & pensions is what is breaking their backs. Once those items are deducted from the revenue, there is scant left for capital investment :(
Zactly.

Sorry guys...I guess you do know something about cars...but for you that don't GO AWAY!!!!!

Worldwide, there is overcapacity in auto manufacturing. The weakest one will go by the boards. It looks like it may be ford that goes. After they bought Volvo and Jaguar, I wondered about their thinking. Now it appears that it's not up to par. Can you say 'bye ford'? bk

I can, I don't like that many Fords. By the way, have any of you guys heard of a:

Qvale?
Stanguilini?
Pescarolo?

mopar said:
I can, I don't like that many Fords. By the way, have any of you guys heard of a:

Qvale?
Stanguilini?
Pescarolo?
I've heard of them. They'll be the new guys on Disco's '07 team. :D

Let us get a different focus here gentlemen, gas guzzling V8's are dinosaurs, they deserve the flick, so do all motor vehicles that rely on Petrol/Gasoline whatever you like to call it.
The way of the future is Hydrogen or even Electric, non polluting, less noisy, they can go just as fast and far, it's been done in your country the USA.
GM even produced n Electric car but because of the Oil Companies pressure they were scrapped. You might ask why is this so, well the oil compnaies want us to keep using their product despite the scientific evidence that present day cars are responsible for a huge percentage of air pollution. They love the huge profits they make from selling this stuff and don't want to relinquish that control, control means power, power means control, control means money, money means power, it's a self perpetuating circle, and we are all slaves to it. Tell me we're not??
Back to cars sales, look at China, the emerging giant with more cars being sold there than anywhere else on the planet. Despite the Communist Tag, China's Administration have embraced the Western Way of Free Enterprise/Capitalism. Communism doesn't work, look at the USSR and it's demise there.
Back to cars again, there is a website in the USA that is concerned with electric cars, they convert older bangers into all electric jobs. One in particular a Datsun 1200 utility, was converted with a ten horse power electric motor, the batteries were installed under the floor of the tray, this served a twofold purpose, one it was convenient, the second it holds the back wheels down during hectic accelleration. This little Datto was taken to a drag strip and blew away a fully worked Chevy Commaro (Excuse spelling) over the quarter.
For the non believers "Google In" "Electric Cars Conversions USA" you might have to fiddle around here, maybe something like that site, have a look at what's being done by private individuals. Then think what could be achieved by the Auto Manufacturers, if they got really serious about producing cars that didn't rely on Gasoline/Petrol or the like.
Now don't get me wrong I love a gas guzzler too, well did until I sold it a couple of months ago, an LH Holden, it had a 4.2 litre Chevy, Holleys, Cams 8 into one exhaust 2.5"bore and all that big noise stuff, but it was costing me a fortune to run not only in fuel but registration and tyres. It was a good looking horse but when the money is tight one has to cut the cloth according to the way it fits.
It was the first GM car I have ever owned I usually go for FORD, however there's nothing wrong with rice burners, Mazda RX8, Subaru WRX Impressa, Toyota Supra. But if you want a really hairy drive, get into nostalgia, a GT 40 Ford, I'm informed that Ford are doing a limited production run of these, using a bit more modern technology, I drove one of those beats many years ago..but that's another story.

Cars get in the way of bikes, so why do I have a bike tire pump that depends on a car for its electricity? dagnabbit.