Oh Dear!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tom Crispin, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:
    > I don't know if these sorry features have been posted here before.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/lllmt

    The first one is mostly sound. (I'll remain quiet on the obvious). Not
    as nicely laid out and presented as some I have seen...

    > http://tinyurl.com/rkk4b

    "I was a numpty and fell off my bike whilst wearing a helmet".

    Moral: "Don't be a numpty?" er.. not quite the conclusions they came
    to. Maybe that bang on the head did something or maybe they sell
    helmets..

    ...d

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:
    > I don't know if these sorry features have been posted here before.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/lllmt
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/rkk4b

    Given that Halfords sell helmets and they include links to their helmet
    sales page, I think a letter to the ASA is called for.

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  4. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 23:23:23 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> http://tinyurl.com/rkk4b

    >Given that Halfords sell helmets and they include links to their helmet
    >sales page, I think a letter to the ASA is called for.

    Perhaps they'll be persuaded to change this:

    "One morning, I was cycling at full pelt along a bus lane and pulled
    out to overtake a car that was illegally parked. I didn't notice that
    its owner was still inside. By the time she opened the door, it was
    too late for me to brake or swerve. I slammed into the door, flew over
    my handlebars and bounced off a stationary car in the lane to my
    right, coming to a somewhat inelegant landing on the uneven tarmac.

    "My recollection of events is understandably blurry. But my one
    over-riding memory was thinking, as the back of my head bounced on the
    road, "That would really have hurt if I wasn't wearing a helmet."

    "In fact, other than a few bruised ribs, some grazes and a bent front
    wheel, no major damage was done at all. Some kind drivers and a
    shopkeeper helped me to the roadside and dragged my scuffed and
    twisted bike onto the pavement for me. As I gradually regained my
    breath and sipped at the obligatory cup of tea, I speculated as to
    what might have happened had I not been wearing a helmet.

    To this:

    "One morning, I was cycling at full pelt along a bus lane and pulled
    out to overtake a car that was illegally parked. I didn't notice that
    its owner was still inside. By the time she opened the door, I was
    passing the vehicle with plenty of space to spare. I thanked my lucky
    stars that I had the foresight to take a National Standards Training
    course which taught me to pass any parked car with a door's width.

    "My recollection of events is still sharp. But my one over-riding
    memory was thinking, as I passed safely by, "That would really have
    hurt if I hadn't had the training."

    "I was still mildly shaken at what could have been when I arrived at
    work and this gave me an excuse for the obligatory cup of tea. I
    speculated as to what might have happened had I not had the National
    Standards training.

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tom Crispin wrote:

    > To this:
    >
    > "One morning, I was cycling at full pelt along a bus lane and pulled
    > out to overtake a car that was illegally parked. I didn't notice that
    > its owner was still inside. By the time she opened the door, I was
    > passing the vehicle with plenty of space to spare. I thanked my lucky
    > stars that I had the foresight to take a National Standards Training
    > course which taught me to pass any parked car with a door's width.
    >
    > "My recollection of events is still sharp. But my one over-riding
    > memory was thinking, as I passed safely by, "That would really have
    > hurt if I hadn't had the training."
    >
    > "I was still mildly shaken at what could have been when I arrived at
    > work and this gave me an excuse for the obligatory cup of tea. I
    > speculated as to what might have happened had I not had the National
    > Standards training.

    Ah but he was probably cycling in a cycle facility the Local Authority
    had thoughtfully provided such as this one in Cambridge:
    http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/37/images/cover.jpg

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  6. Tom Crispin wrote:
    > I don't know if these sorry features have been posted here before.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/lllmt
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/rkk4b

    Ah yes, Halfords, that well-known 'safety conscious' purveyor of speed
    camera evasion equipment...

  7. Tony Raven <[email protected]> writes:

    > Ah but he was probably cycling in a cycle facility the Local
    > Authority had thoughtfully provided such as this one in Cambridge:
    > http://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/37/images/cover.jpg

    I think this is possibly the most eloquent photograph for pointing
    out the problem:

    http://www.bikexprt.com/massfacil/cambridge/program/images/CentSqDeath.jpg

    (In context,
    http://www.bikexprt.com/massfacil/cambridge/doorzone/laird1.htm).

    Brendan
    --
    Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
    Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

  8. spindrift

    spindrift Guest

    Brendan Halpin wrote:

    > I think this is possibly the most eloquent photograph for pointing
    > out the problem:

    Oh no, that's awful.

  9. Would I be cynical if I thought that the photo used on the latter of
    the two linked pages was perhaps a rather "leading" image to use?
    Vulnerable, skinny-looking cyclist surrounded by huge, scary motor
    vehicles - I mean just think what might happen if he didn't have that
    nice safe helmet on!

    They say sex sells; well when it comes to cycle helmets, it appears
    that simple use of perspective sells.

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Francis Barton wrote:
    > Would I be cynical if I thought that the photo used on the latter of
    > the two linked pages was perhaps a rather "leading" image to use?
    > Vulnerable, skinny-looking cyclist surrounded by huge, scary motor
    > vehicles - I mean just think what might happen if he didn't have that
    > nice safe helmet on!

    Not cynical, accurate. It isn't so much what you see but how you see
    it. I presume you have looked at the 'factsheet' produced
    collaboratively and seen the reasoning behind use of certain pictures.
    Now imagine using the Halfords style of picture (but of a child) on the
    front cover instead of the existing shot - would that really inspire
    confidence?

    The training picture is the only one which includes a car, and that is
    deliberately subdued behind a cyclist,

    > They say sex sells; well when it comes to cycle helmets, it appears
    > that simple use of perspective sells.

    It is perception - if cycling is dangerous I need safety gear. If I
    want to sell safety gear I need to make cycling look dangerous.

    ...d

  11. Tom Crispin

    Tom Crispin Guest

    On 27 Apr 2006 03:34:12 -0700, "David Martin"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The training picture is the only one which includes a car, and that is
    >deliberately subdued behind a cyclist,

    Not deliberate - it was a fluke!