oh [excrement]!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. Claire

    Claire Guest

    I was a little late coming in to work today, when I had the joy of
    being hit by a seagull, just five blocks from the office. Ew. I just
    kept the helmet on until I started the shower, then quickly took it
    off, and plunged the foam hat under the force of the hot water. Then I
    put my head in, and rinsed well and good before putting the rest of
    myself in the stall.

    Upside, this is only the second time it's happened since I started
    riding daily near the waterfront.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/Welcome.htm

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Claire wrote:
    > I was a little late coming in to work today, when I had the joy of
    > being hit by a seagull, just five blocks from the office. Ew. I just
    > kept the helmet on until I started the shower, then quickly took it
    > off, and plunged the foam hat under the force of the hot water. Then I
    > put my head in, and rinsed well and good before putting the rest of
    > myself in the stall.
    >
    > Upside, this is only the second time it's happened since I started
    > riding daily near the waterfront.

    Somewhere there's a big ol' bird telling its friends about getting hit by
    fast-moving round plastic hard thing.

    Bill "I was just flying along..." S.

  3. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Claire wrote:
    :: I was a little late coming in to work today, when I had the joy of
    :: being hit by a seagull, just five blocks from the office. Ew. I just
    :: kept the helmet on until I started the shower, then quickly took it
    :: off, and plunged the foam hat under the force of the hot water. Then
    :: I put my head in, and rinsed well and good before putting the rest of
    :: myself in the stall.
    ::
    :: Upside, this is only the second time it's happened since I started
    :: riding daily near the waterfront.

    Ew, bird bombings. I've yet to get hit.

  4. Diablo Scott

    Diablo Scott Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > Claire wrote:
    > :: I was a little late coming in to work today, when I had the joy of
    > :: being hit by a seagull, just five blocks from the office. Ew. I just
    > :: kept the helmet on until I started the shower, then quickly took it
    > :: off, and plunged the foam hat under the force of the hot water. Then
    > :: I put my head in, and rinsed well and good before putting the rest of
    > :: myself in the stall.
    > ::
    > :: Upside, this is only the second time it's happened since I started
    > :: riding daily near the waterfront.
    >
    > Ew, bird bombings. I've yet to get hit.

    Not on my bike, just walking along and I got bombed on the INSIDE of my
    EYEGLASSES! There's like 2mm of space between my eyebrow and the lens
    and the pigeon (I think) nailed it right down the middle and splatted
    most of the inside surface. Now that's disgusting.

  5. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > Claire wrote:
    >> I was a little late coming in to work today, when I had the joy of
    >> being hit by a seagull, just five blocks from the office. Ew. I just
    >> kept the helmet on until I started the shower, then quickly took it
    >> off, and plunged the foam hat under the force of the hot water. Then
    >> I put my head in, and rinsed well and good before putting the rest of
    >> myself in the stall.
    >>
    >> Upside, this is only the second time it's happened since I started
    >> riding daily near the waterfront.

    > Somewhere there's a big ol' bird telling its friends about getting
    > hit by fast-moving round plastic hard thing.
    >
    > Bill "I was just flying along..." S.

    Ooops. Guess I misread. (Thought you got hit by the bird's BODY and not
    its... Ewwww.)

    Bill "there's my mistake for '06" S.

  6. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Claire wrote:

    (snip)
    .... I had the joy of being hit by a seagull ... Ew.

    I just HATE it when that happens. ;-)
    Really though, my condolences, Claire. That ranks (heh!) up there with hosing
    grass wads off bike tires and discovering, by the smell of the splatter all over
    one's front, that the largest wads of grass were mostly dog poop.

    Was the "stuff" hot? Birds have pretty high body temp. IMHO this increases the
    "eew" factor of getting slimed by a bird.

    --
    Michael

  7. catzz66

    catzz66 Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > I just HATE it when that happens. ;-)
    > Really though, my condolences, Claire. That ranks (heh!) up there with hosing
    > grass wads off bike tires and discovering, by the smell of the splatter all over
    > one's front, that the largest wads of grass were mostly dog poop.

    This points out at least one advantage of slicks. Not much adheres to
    them for very long.

  8. John Calnan

    John Calnan Guest

    Claire wrote:
    > Warm Regards,

    *Warm regards*, indeed!

  9. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Diablo Scott wrote:
    :: Roger Zoul wrote:
    ::: Claire wrote:
    ::::: I was a little late coming in to work today, when I had the joy of
    ::::: being hit by a seagull, just five blocks from the office. Ew. I
    ::::: just kept the helmet on until I started the shower, then quickly
    ::::: took it off, and plunged the foam hat under the force of the hot
    ::::: water. Then I put my head in, and rinsed well and good before
    ::::: putting the rest of myself in the stall.
    :::::
    ::::: Upside, this is only the second time it's happened since I started
    ::::: riding daily near the waterfront.
    :::
    ::: Ew, bird bombings. I've yet to get hit.
    :::
    :::
    ::
    :: Not on my bike, just walking along and I got bombed on the INSIDE of
    :: my EYEGLASSES! There's like 2mm of space between my eyebrow and the
    :: lens and the pigeon (I think) nailed it right down the middle and
    :: splatted most of the inside surface. Now that's disgusting.

    oh MAN.

  10. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

    "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Ew, bird bombings. I've yet to get hit.

    Roger, this is just like a post which brags that you haven't had a flat.

    You are tempting fate, and fate often yields to temptation. ;)

  11. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Mike Kruger" wrote: Roger, this is just like a post which brags that you
    haven't had a flat. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Would you rather have a flat or a splat?

  12. Peter Keller

    Peter Keller Guest

    On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 13:48:14 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:

    > Ew, bird bombings. I've yet to get hit.

    Try in the countryside during magpie nesting season --

    Peter

    --
    No Microsoft involved. Certified virus free --

  13. I was up on top of a local butte, where vultures rest in dead
    trees. These birds seem decidedly unafraid of people and let them come
    right up to the trees. A teenage nitwit decided to climb up toward
    them. I warned him, knowing what would come. Then, one of the vultures
    dropped its beak and tossed his lunch all over the guy's head. You can
    imagine what had been on the menu and the guy's reaction. And, I got it
    all on videotape.

    Steve McDonald

  14. max

    max Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote:

    > I was up on top of a local butte, where vultures rest in dead
    > trees. These birds seem decidedly unafraid of people and let them come
    > right up to the trees. A teenage nitwit decided to climb up toward
    > them. I warned him, knowing what would come. Then, one of the vultures
    > dropped its beak and tossed his lunch all over the guy's head. You can
    > imagine what had been on the menu and the guy's reaction. And, I got it
    > all on videotape.
    >
    > Steve McDonald

    that definitely qualifies for submittal to one of those stupidest video
    shows.

    ..max

  15. max wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Steve McDonald) wrote:
    >
    > > I was up on top of a local butte, where vultures rest in dead
    > > trees. These birds seem decidedly unafraid of people and let them come
    > > right up to the trees. A teenage nitwit decided to climb up toward
    > > them. I warned him, knowing what would come. Then, one of the vultures
    > > dropped its beak and tossed his lunch all over the guy's head. You can
    > > imagine what had been on the menu and the guy's reaction. And, I got it
    > > all on videotape.
    > >
    > > Steve McDonald

    > that definitely qualifies for submittal to one of those stupidest video
    > shows.
    >
    > .max

    Not 'cycling related, but funny.

    Many years ago I was attending a Navy training course in San Diego.
    The school building was a 4 story Gov't monstrosity in the shape of an
    open square, the center being an concrete coutyard. Part of the 4th
    floor was a patio with vending machines, which the students used as a
    lounge. When the students were not using the patio, the seagulls
    utilized it as a cafeteria.

    Every Friday morning, the students would assemble in the coutyard for
    formal inspection, complete with weekly guest dignitary acting as the
    Inspecting Officer. On this fateful morning, the I/O was a 3-Star
    Admiral, in full Dress Blue regalia. No sooner does the 3-star slide
    up to look me (at the time, a lowly Seaman) over, than one of the 4th
    floor gulls decides to let one fly. The free falling fourth story
    feces hit the crest of the Admirals hat, splattered over the gold
    braided brim (it's real gold, and very expensive), and began to drip
    down his chest, fouling the five or six rows of ribbons. The only
    reaction from the Admiral was the explosive uttering of the epithet "Oh
    SHIT!".

    I still have the scar in my lower lip where I bit almost though to keep
    from laughing.

  16. H M Leary

    H M Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Johhny Two Pedals" <[email protected]> wrote:

    snip

    > Not 'cycling related, but funny.
    >
    > Many years ago I was attending a Navy training course in San Diego.
    > The school building was a 4 story Gov't monstrosity in the shape of an
    > open square, the center being an concrete coutyard. Part of the 4th
    > floor was a patio with vending machines, which the students used as a
    > lounge. When the students were not using the patio, the seagulls
    > utilized it as a cafeteria.
    >
    > Every Friday morning, the students would assemble in the coutyard for
    > formal inspection, complete with weekly guest dignitary acting as the
    > Inspecting Officer. On this fateful morning, the I/O was a 3-Star
    > Admiral, in full Dress Blue regalia. No sooner does the 3-star slide
    > up to look me (at the time, a lowly Seaman) over, than one of the 4th
    > floor gulls decides to let one fly. The free falling fourth story
    > feces hit the crest of the Admirals hat, splattered over the gold
    > braided brim (it's real gold, and very expensive), and began to drip
    > down his chest, fouling the five or six rows of ribbons. The only
    > reaction from the Admiral was the explosive uttering of the epithet "Oh
    > SHIT!".
    >
    > I still have the scar in my lower lip where I bit almost though to keep
    > from laughing.

    Rank does have its priveleges!

    HAND

  17. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Leo Lichtman wrote:
    :: "Mike Kruger" wrote: Roger, this is just like a post which brags
    :: that you haven't had a flat. (clip)
    :: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    :: Would you rather have a flat or a splat?

    I'd take a flat any day.....on second thought, maybe not!

  18. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Mike Kruger wrote:
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    :::
    ::: Ew, bird bombings. I've yet to get hit.
    :::
    :: Roger, this is just like a post which brags that you haven't had a
    :: flat.
    ::
    :: You are tempting fate, and fate often yields to temptation. ;)

    I never thought of it like that. I guess this weekend fate might frown upon
    me (or spit on me). Poor stupid me. Poo-poo.

  19. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "H M Leary" wrote: (clip) Rank does have its priveleges!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep! The gull outranked the admiral.

  20. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > Ooops. Guess I misread. (Thought you got hit by the bird's BODY and not
    > its... Ewwww.)

    I had understood that Claire was hit by an actual bird too. Still, I
    don't imagine getting splatted with seagull poop is all that pleasant.

    I was in Seattle yesterday. I saw one bike (parked, with pogies on the
    handlebars although the weather was pleasant and 50 F), and no
    seagulls.

    RFM