Oh God, Not Another Tubeless Tyre Question... Good ideas for patching?

Westie

Guest
OK, I didn't really choose tubeless as such. The bike came with the Crossmax UST wheelset. Whether
or not it was a good idea doesn't matter. It's done. I have tubeless. I now have tubeless tyres with
many tiny holes in them. It's to the point where it needs fixing.

I have googled and I know about Stan's, I know about Slime, I know about Stan's and Slime causing a
mess. I know about pinch flats, and I know about putting tubes into my tubeless tyres. I know about
superglue. But no where can I find any good ideas on how to patch or repair punctures in tubeless
tyres. I really don't want Stan's or Slime, and will be really annoyed if I have to use tubes in my
tubeless tyres.

Has anyone any thoughts on this repair method before I start jamming things in tiny holes. I have
already, successfully, patched a large thorn hole with superglue with the neeedle and thread method.

1. Inflate tyre to reasonable pressure.
2. Proceed as for repairing normal tube by immersing in water and looking for bubbles.
3. Upon identification of hole, accurately insert a pin or needle with thread into the hole.
4. Continue until all holes have been plugged.
5. Deflate and remove tyre from rim.
6. From the inside, locate pins. If it is a needle, locate needle and pull through until the cotton
is in the hole.
7. Put drop of super glue on pin or thread.
8. Remove pin or thread by pulling from the outside of the tyre.
9. Remount and inflate patched tyre.

It's either that, or bloody tubes. Stupid tyres.

Any help muchly appreciated.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Westie wrote:
> Snip interesting technique of patching a tire

From what I heard you just patch it with normal tube patches and glue from the inside. I'm still
waiting for my first flat so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I carry a spare tube and
selfadhesive patches, just to make sure I can always get home.

--
Perre

I too have not had my first tubeless flat, but do carry a tube just in case.

I do remember being shown how to fix a flat circa 1962. It was the summer of `62, I was 6 yrs old,
ready to spin a wrench with the 9 - 14 year olds in the neighborhood. The older kids were fixing a
flat tube, with a kit that had a cheese grater or sandpaper, after a using it a little bit of the
glue was used.....spread out just a bit larger than the patch that was going to be placed.

And quickly a match or ligher was lit and the glue was ignited, it began to bubble and flame, and
just when you could see the edges of the wet area begining to dry up, and you could see that the
glue and tube were quite hot, the flame was blown out and all in one motion the patch was applied to
the hot glue, Vulcanized!

I'm not saying that that technique will work w/Tubelss, but I'll be trying it before I throw a
perfectly good tire away that has a large thorn hole.

Also, I've used quarts of Super glue in my modeling days, I've found that it sticks to cotton quite
well but that on other surfaces, especially flexible ones, it can just crack off.

There are different grades as basically, thin, med, and thick. I like the thin with accelerator that
you can spray on before and just after applying super glue it makes for better adhesion and near
instant drying. There is also orderless and it's special accelerator that is used for styro-foam.
I'm not sure if any of these will work.

What about 5min epoxy? That stuff sticks to just about everything. Or, how'a bout Shoe Goo, that too
sticks to everything. Both of these are relatively flexible.

HTH

JeffP......

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Westie wrote:
> > Snip interesting technique of patching a tire
>
> From what I heard you just patch it with normal tube patches and glue from the inside. I'm still
> waiting for my first flat so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I carry a spare tube and
> selfadhesive patches, just to make sure I can always get home.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Westie wrote:
> > Snip interesting technique of patching a tire
>
> From what I heard you just patch it with normal tube patches and glue from the inside. I'm still
> waiting for my first flat so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I carry a spare tube and
> selfadhesive patches, just to make sure I can always get home.

Supposedly, you have to clean the inside of the tire at the repair point with some solvent like
toluene. So that the glue and patch will stick properly. And don't sand the spot first! IIRC, there
was an article in one of the bike rags about this. I'm too lazy to look it up, tho'.
--
Jonesy

"JeffP" <[email protected]> had this to say
news:[email protected]

> I too have not had my first tubeless flat, but do carry a tube just in case.
>
> I do remember being shown how to fix a flat circa 1962. It was the summer of `62, I was 6 yrs old,
> ready to spin a wrench with the 9 - 14 year olds in the neighborhood. The older kids were fixing a
> flat tube, with a kit that had a cheese grater or sandpaper, after a using it a little bit of the
> glue was used.....spread out just a bit larger than the patch that was going to be placed.
>
> And quickly a match or ligher was lit and the glue was ignited, it began to bubble and flame, and
> just when you could see the edges of the wet area begining to dry up, and you could see that the
> glue and tube were quite hot, the flame was blown out and all in one motion the patch was applied
> to the hot glue, Vulcanized!

This is exactly what I learned in the early 70's myself. And it serves me wel to this very day. Back
then I thought the older kids were full of ****...but nearly 35 yrs later, it still is effective :)

Haven't seen the need for tubeless yet, I just think the technology isn't all that....yet.

Dave

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> FlyingCoyote wrote:
> > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> It's to the point where it needs fixing. But no where can I find any good ideas on how to patch
> >> or repair punctures in tubeless tyres.
> >
> > Tried tubeless tire patches? http://edenbicycles.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=259&SKU=PK2580
> >

> They're sure charging enough. Three patches for $16.99 ???
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

I'm pretty sure that price is wrong. I'd call or email. I've bought the same patches from them and
they were closer to $7 or $8 I think.

--

FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

--

FlyingCoyote wrote:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> FlyingCoyote wrote:

>>> Tried tubeless tire patches? http://edenbicycles.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=259&SKU=PK2580
>>>

>> They're sure charging enough. Three patches for $16.99 ???
>>
>> --
>> Perre
>>
>> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
>>

> I'm pretty sure that price is wrong. I'd call or email. I've bought the same patches from them and
> they were closer to $7 or $8 I think.

That'd be more in line with what the other brands, Park Tools etc were selling for. Since you've
bought some can you tell the difference? Ie between these and regular patch material for tubes.

--
Perre

"Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> That'd be more in line with what the other brands, Park Tools etc were selling for. Since you've
> bought some can you tell the difference? Ie between these and regular patch material for tubes.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

The tubeless tire patches seem to be a little beefier. Not sure if there's anything different about
the material or adhesive.

I'd tried regular tube patches first since they are cheaper (and often free at events and such) and
they usually didn't hold for long, and didn't work at all on anything bigger than a pinhole. On
anything other than tiny pin holes the patch would blow out of the tire after inflating.

--

FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

--

FlyingCoyote" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:j%[email protected]...
> The tubeless tire patches seem to be a little beefier. Not sure if there's anything different
> about the material or adhesive.
>
> I'd tried regular tube patches first since they are cheaper (and often
free
> at events and such) and they usually didn't hold for long, and didn't work at all on anything
> bigger than a pinhole. On anything other than tiny pin holes the patch would blow out of the tire
> after inflating.
>
> --

A description of the patches states:

"Designed specifically for repairing tubeless tires, with a patch compound formulated to provide a
longer lasting bond with the tire. Wider patch design makes mounting a snap."

--

FlyingCoyote http://boarsgut.com

--

In news:[email protected],
Jonesy <[email protected]> typed:
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Westie wrote:
>>> Snip interesting technique of patching a tire
>>
>> From what I heard you just patch it with normal tube patches and glue from the inside. I'm still
>> waiting for my first flat so I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I carry a spare tube and
>> selfadhesive patches, just to make sure I can always get home.
>
> Supposedly, you have to clean the inside of the tire at the repair point with some solvent like
> toluene. So that the glue and patch will stick properly. And don't sand the spot first! IIRC,
> there was an article in one of the bike rags about this. I'm too lazy to look it up, tho'.

http://www.tireservicecentral.com/Product%20Catalog/Tire_Patch_Items/Tire_Pa
tches___Chemicals/tire_patches___chemicals_3.htm

It was MBA that had the article. It scairt me from tubeless tires forever. This stuff is extremely
toxic and flammable. It basically involved donning rubber gloves and respirator (J/K), scrubbing
the inside of the tyre with the buffer, apply the patch and clamp in place the blocks of wood and
a c-clamp.

Mike - I'm 'sticking' with tubes.

Westie wrote: Well, the super glue hasn't worked. The holes are no bigger so that's good ;-) Tubes
for now, Slime or Stans when I find it.
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

JeffP said...

> Also, I've used quarts of Super glue in my modeling days, I've found that it sticks to cotton
> quite well but that on other surfaces, especially flexible ones, it can just crack off.

Super glue does work well for closing the punctures in tubeless tires. The holes stay closed. For
tubeless punctures, I patch the inside with a normal patch and super glue the hole closed from
the outside.