Oh gods of wheel maintenance. It has been (x)years...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Jan 30, 2005.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Was washing the bike a couple of weeks ago after riding on wet roads and was noticing the amount of roadgrime that had collected around the spoke nipples and rim eyelets on my Campy Protons.
    Should i at some stage strip down the wheel and clean the innards of the wheels and is this a 'given' regular service thang?

    F"The wheels on the Bus go..."Dutch

    Tags:

  2. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    When I wash the bike, the first thing I do is have a go at this sort of gunge. I use an old paint-brush and some kerosene. It makes short work of road-grime. I start with the rims, then do the calipers, front and rear derailleurs, cranks, and around the headset with my old paintbrush (after taking chain off bike for cleaning separately), then wash with car-wash detergent and a sponge, and finally rinse with water.

    Regards,

    Suzy (who should wash her bikes more often)

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    but do you ever do em from 'inside' the wheels? should you/I??

  4. Maledicta

    Maledicta Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > suzyj Wrote:
    > > When I wash the bike, the first thing I do is have a go at this sort of
    > > gunge. I use an old paint-brush and some kerosene. It makes short
    > > work of road-grime. I start with the rims, then do the calipers, front
    > > and rear derailleurs, cranks, and around the headset with my old
    > > paintbrush (after taking chain off bike for cleaning separately), then
    > > wash with car-wash detergent and a sponge, and finally rinse with
    > > water.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Suzy (who should wash her bikes more often)

    > but do you ever do em from 'inside' the wheels? should you/I??
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    Why waste your time? Seriously? Dirty spokes? Dirty Rims? LOL.....

  5. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    Flyingdutch wrote:

    > but do you ever do em from 'inside' the wheels? should you/I??

    So you remove the rim strip, and notice there's gunk around the nipples...

    FD dude, I gotta say it, you come up with some awful good ones.

    The only time I ever remove the rim strip is when I'm replacing the rim. Then the rim, spokes, and nipples all get tossed in the bin (actually stored in the garage on account of rule 13) and a shiny new rim is laced to the hub with shiny new spokes.

    Regards,

    Suzy (slightly scared)

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Maledicta wrote:
    >>suzyj Wrote:
    >>>When I wash the bike, the first thing I do is have a go at this sort of
    >>>gunge. I use an old paint-brush and some kerosene. It makes short
    >>>work of road-grime. I start with the rims, then do the calipers, front
    >>>and rear derailleurs, cranks, and around the headset with my old
    >>>paintbrush (after taking chain off bike for cleaning separately), then
    >>>wash with car-wash detergent and a sponge, and finally rinse with
    >>>water.

    > Why waste your time? Seriously? Dirty spokes? Dirty Rims? LOL.....

    I'm with you.. I leave all that mud and road grime
    on the bike for 'resistance training effect' :)

    hippy

  7. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Wow! If cleanliness is next to godliness, you're sitting at the right hand, so to speak :)

    My guess is that the mechanic at the LBS would be left speechless if you pointed at the muck in the eyelets and said "I thought I left these here for a service!"

    Ritch.

    PS. Was this post just a ruse to reinforce the fact that you use Campy wheels? ;)

  8. GPLama

    GPLama Guest

    > Why waste your time? Seriously? Dirty spokes? Dirty Rims? LOL.....

    After riding cheap MTB's for years, I like to keep my roadie clean as
    possible.. I'm sure others are the same.. the current MTB is the
    kickaround that only gets a wash when it rains..

    cheers,
    GPL

  9. Brett

    Brett Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > but do you ever do em from 'inside' the wheels? should you/I??

    I have to admit that for my bike's first birthday I went as far as
    loosening all the spoke nipples 3 turns, cleaning the rims edge of the
    spoke holes, cleaning the spokes right down to the shiny thread then
    re-lubing and re-tightening/re-truing the wheels. The cleaning was done
    with a damp cloth so that I didn't get water/detergent/grit falling
    inside the rim. I since found that the 'insides' of the wheels were
    quite clean when I had to replace the tube when it popped after
    yesterdays race, so I wouldn't bother with the insides.

    Whether my wheel cleaning effort was overboard is hard to say, given
    that I also dis-assembled by brake calipers to clean them properly...

    In my defence, I don't generally stay home if it's raining, so my bike
    does get kinda filthy at times and will often stay filthy for weeks at a
    time

    --
    Brett

  10. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Maybe it reduces drag, like sharkskin does.
    Logically, any draggy bits will tend to be dragged off leaving only the non-draggy bits.

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    no, no,no

    I aint THAT clean. I just thought some of you better-maintenance-peoples might do this cos there was a reason for it. Like re-packing grease in hubs and stuff like that.
    Grime can stay there. I'll just washoff what I can see

    F"dirty, dirty"Dutch

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    Brett <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Whether my wheel cleaning effort was overboard is hard to say

    All you have to do is move your lips...

    Have I stumbled into aus.familyjewels by mistake?

    --
    Shane Stanley

  13. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    and there's the new zip dimpled wheels

    http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7473.0.html

  14. Brett

    Brett Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > no, no,no
    >
    > I aint THAT clean. I just thought some of you
    > better-maintenance-peoples might do this cos there was a reason for it.
    > Like re-packing grease in hubs and stuff like that.
    > Grime can stay there. I'll just washoff what I can see

    I'm not usually that clean either, it's probably just over-compensation
    for the other 364 days when I can't be stuffed cleaning it properly, if
    at all.

    --
    Brett

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    i think all your WA roadgrime gets blown over here anyway... :rolleyes:

  16. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Brass, chrome plate, s/steel - just get an old toothbrush and some HSW* and give them a scrub. The nipple seals pretty well in the eyelet, so not much gets in. I see suzyj is making yet MORE strange fluid choices to service her bike with - kero is good for soaking chains, but eventually wrecks rubber and paint if you scrub it in, and it stinks!

    M"*Hot Soapy Water - the original and the best!"H

    p.s. like all new shiny things, you lose interest after a while and give them a perfunctory clean once every so often. Like my teeth.

  17. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    mfhor wrote:

    > I see suzyj is making yet MORE strange fluid choices to
    > service her bike with

    Ya know I only do it to upset ya :)

    > kero is good for soaking chains, but eventually wrecks
    > rubber and paint if you scrub it in,

    Geez, I wasn't saying ppl should soak the poor bike in the stuff! Just that a little bit on an old paintbrush goes a long way to getting the stubborn bits off. I just dip the paintbrush in the kero that the chain's soaking in, and dab away at rims, chainwheels, cluster etc...

    > and it stinks!

    Not so bad if ya use low-stink kero.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  18. mfhor

    mfhor New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    OK. I agree. :)

    What about full strength citrus degreaser? it makes your bike smell all nice and Country Road-ish. After breathing solvent fumes in the workshop all day, I know that it gives me fewest headaches. I use low-odour turps to soak the drivetrain at home, I didn't know you could get kero that didn't smell foul.

    M "who was probably dunked in a vat of kero when he was very young, and so has been scarred for life, or something" H