Oh Great and Mighty Puncture Deities.

Tamyka Bell

Guest
What a morning! I only got to uni at 1000h, two hours after leaving
for my 30min commute. Seriously. I spent the last 10 minutes in the
bike
room, putting on my new bidon cages, and mounting my new pump.

I bought a new pump because my old pump was broken. I found out the old
pump was broken because I got a puncture on Stanley St. I checked, and
there was a small piece of glass wedged in a small crack in the tyre. I
dug it out, and a pinprick of daylight came through, but I didn't want
to waste $5 in my tyre for a pinprick, so I just put some old tube in
there.

When I went to pump up the new tube, I couldn't get it much past about
20psi. So I walked back to Planet Cycle at Woolloongabba, hoping to use
their pump, and instead discovered that while opening at 0830h on
weekdays, they don't open at all on Monday.

Back to the handpump. I took the tube out again just to make sure there
were no holes hiding anywhere, but it seemed okay, so I tried again to
pump it up - without success. Just when I thought I would never make it
to uni, a handsome knight in shining armour rolled up on his shiny
steed, and asked if I needed a hand. I asked if he had a decent pump...
and then noticed he was in Planet Cycle kit, and he offered me use of
the shop pump. Saved!

I believe Ben was there to meet a Very Important Cyclist(TM) who had
Seat Clamp Problems(TM) with his very nice Bianchi, but he saved my day
anyway, and I promised to go back and buy something sometime!

Paulie-AU wrote:
> Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

Expensive and wasteful (1 use, and throw away).
don't do it, Tam :)

Paulie-AU wrote:

> Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

And I use them in races. But I don't use them when training or
commuting, because they are a bit eco-unfriendly (wastage of the
cannister, etc) and unnecessary when time doesn't matter so much. Plus
they are quite expensive, given that a good pump costs $30 and lasts...
well, lasts a lot longer than the **** pump that I broke ;) I have a
new pump now, same as the one on my other bike, so I know it'll work. (I
know, I could just use one pump, but I always end up leaving it on the
wrong bike). I suppose it's cheaper for those with immediate contacts ;)

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
Paulie-AU wrote:

> Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

And I use them in races. But I don't use them when training or
commuting, because they are a bit eco-unfriendly (wastage of the
cannister, etc) and unnecessary when time doesn't matter so much. Plus
they are quite expensive, given that a good pump costs $30 and lasts...
well, lasts a lot longer than the **** pump that I broke ;) I have a
new pump now, same as the one on my other bike, so I know it'll work. (I
know, I could just use one pump, but I always end up leaving it on the
wrong bike). I suppose it's cheaper for those with immediate contacts ;)

Tam
But it is so much eeeefort. I patch my tubes so recover some of the cost there :D. Essentially, when on the side of the road I am allergic to pumping up a tire. The cost is annoying, wastage also. Bike pumps look ugly on the bike :eek: . So vain I know

Bleve said:
Paulie-AU wrote:
> Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

Expensive and wasteful (1 use, and throw away).
don't do it, Tam :)

If you are riding a road bike with tires that need 120psi in the tires the CO2 bulbs are the way to go. I have yet to find a small had pump that can get any where near 100psi and service station pumps will only give you 90psi at best (the electronic ones only give you 70psi). Ad to that I hate spending time on the side of the road chewing into my riding time.

The cartridges are recyclable so if you only get one puncture every once and a while they are quite economical

jcjordan wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> > Paulie-AU wrote:
> > > Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

> > Expensive and wasteful (1 use, and throw away).
> > don't do it, Tam :)

> If you are riding a road bike with tires that need 120psi in the tires
> the CO2 bulbs are the way to go. I have yet to find a small had pump
> that can get any where near 100psi and service station pumps will only
> give you 90psi at best (the electronic ones only give you 70psi). Ad
> to that I hate spending time on the side of the road chewing into my
> riding time.

I have a topeak pocket rocket DX, that I can easily get to 120psi (it's
rated to 160).

I have so few punctures that I lose very little time inflating tyres
anyway. At home I have a proper trackpump.

Paulie-AU wrote:

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
> > Paulie-AU wrote:
> > >
> > > Lotte and I recommend CO2 bulb thingos. Small and easy

> > And I use them in races. But I don't use them when training or
> > commuting, because they are a bit eco-unfriendly (wastage of the
> > cannister, etc) and unnecessary when time doesn't matter so much. Plus
> > they are quite expensive, given that a good pump costs $30 and lasts...
> > well, lasts a lot longer than the **** pump that I broke ;) I have a
> > new pump now, same as the one on my other bike, so I know it'll work.
> > (I
> > know, I could just use one pump, but I always end up leaving it on the
> > wrong bike). I suppose it's cheaper for those with immediate contacts
> > ;)
> >
> > Tam

> But it is so much eeeefort. I patch my tubes so recover some of the
> cost there :D. Essentially, when on the side of the road I am allergic
> to pumping up a tire. The cost is annoying, wastage also. Bike pumps
> look ugly on the bike :eek: . So vain I know

You could keep the pump in your jersey pocket. Or get Lotte to carry it
for you hahahaha! Just don't ever, ever get caught out with mismatched
tyres...

Tam

Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> writes:

> You could keep the pump in your jersey pocket. Or get Lotte to carry it
> for you hahahaha! Just don't ever, ever get caught out with mismatched
> tyres...

So running mis-matched tires is daggy? I run a Conti Gatorskin on the
rear 'cause that's the most p*nc%ure proof tire I've used and a Schwalbe
Stelvio Plus on the front 'cause that's nice and grippy for stopping.
Reason for my dagginess :-D

FWIW I use a Topeak RoadMorph, have for the last three years. 120 with
ease, less than a minute of pumping. Big though, halfway between a
jersey pump and a frame pump.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Euan wrote:

> Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>You could keep the pump in your jersey pocket. Or get Lotte to carry it
>>for you hahahaha! Just don't ever, ever get caught out with mismatched
>>tyres...

> So running mis-matched tires is daggy? I run a Conti Gatorskin on the
> rear 'cause that's the most p*nc%ure proof tire I've used and a Schwalbe
> Stelvio Plus on the front 'cause that's nice and grippy for stopping.
> Reason for my dagginess :-D

It can be a big deal. Some motorcycle tire combinations can be lethal
But I 'think' she means missmatched valves :)

Dave

I have generally found any pump that can get up to 120psi either takes forever or is so large that it wont fit in my Jersey pocket

I'm a bit worried about the p*ncture gods at the moment. On my usual commute home, there is an area where some wetland park is being created along the Swan River. The bike path in the area is currently partitioned off with high cyclone fence barriers. I've noticed recently that a collection of dead tubes has been started to be displayed on the cyclone fence at one point. Makes me wince every time I go through there. I've been thinking of sacrificing a small child there, but that might just make the problem go elsewhere.

SteveA

"But I 'think' she means missmatched valves :) "
<snip>

No - she means mismatched tyres. Lotte has a real thing about it. And
don't even START about disc brakes... *laughs*

Abby

Kathy wrote:

> It can be a big deal. Some motorcycle tire combinations can be lethal
> But I 'think' she means missmatched valves :)

Had that recently. The thread on the value stem of the new tube didn't
match the thread on the floor pump, and the old bike pump threw its
washer down deep in the tube.. Had to retrieve the old cheapy pump to
inflate it, then visit a on-holiday bicycle shop to buy another good
hand pump (updated the Zefal HP really)

First time I've ever been caught out like that. I suspec that the floor
pump threads are worn.

Absent Husband wrote:
> "But I 'think' she means missmatched valves :) "
> <snip>
>
> No - she means mismatched tyres. Lotte has a real thing about it. And
> don't even START about disc brakes... *laughs*
>
> Abby

Well there probably are bad combos,as there certainly are in
motorcycles.. But I would have thought it hard to get an actually
dangerous combination on a pushy.. given on 700cs the width and profile
is fairly limited.

Still someone will prove me wrong I expect.

I can tell you on a VF500 you want a seriously sticky front tire and a
rear tire thats got a harder centre and sticky sides. ANd throw the
front tire away early :(

Dave

Terry Collins wrote:

> Kathy wrote:
>

>>It can be a big deal. Some motorcycle tire combinations can be lethal
>>But I 'think' she means missmatched valves :)

> Had that recently. The thread on the value stem of the new tube didn't
> match the thread on the floor pump, and the old bike pump threw its
> washer down deep in the tube.. Had to retrieve the old cheapy pump to
> inflate it, then visit a on-holiday bicycle shop to buy another good
> hand pump (updated the Zefal HP really)
>
> First time I've ever been caught out like that. I suspec that the floor
> pump threads are worn.

My bloody floor pump has died. I pulled it apart to sus it out. (as I
have before. Put it back together with lots of grease.,. expecting the
seals were leaking and it would now at least sort of work. NADA

Bugger

Stole Ians. WIll have to buy one but. THe sod will steal it back

Dave

Kathy <[email protected]> writes:

> Stole Ians. WIll have to buy one but. THe sod will steal it back

But that would actually enatil getting out for a ride *meow*
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Kathy wrote:
> Terry Collins wrote:
>
> > Kathy wrote:
> >

> >>It can be a big deal. Some motorcycle tire combinations can be lethal
> >>But I 'think' she means missmatched valves :)

> > Had that recently. The thread on the value stem of the new tube didn't
> > match the thread on the floor pump, and the old bike pump threw its
> > washer down deep in the tube.. Had to retrieve the old cheapy pump to
> > inflate it, then visit a on-holiday bicycle shop to buy another good
> > hand pump (updated the Zefal HP really)
> >
> > First time I've ever been caught out like that. I suspec that the floor
> > pump threads are worn.
> >

> My bloody floor pump has died. I pulled it apart to sus it out. (as I
> have before. Put it back together with lots of grease.,. expecting the
> seals were leaking and it would now at least sort of work. NADA

We regularly fix pista/serfas track pumps. They last forever and cost
about $75.

Euan wrote:
> Kathy <[email protected]> writes:
>

>>Stole Ians. WIll have to buy one but. THe sod will steal it back

> But that would actually enatil getting out for a ride *meow*

Ohhhhh I am SOOOOO going to forward that to him :)

Dave

Bleve wrote:

> Kathy wrote:
>
>>Terry Collins wrote:

>>>Had that recently. The thread on the value stem of the new tube didn't
>>>match the thread on the floor pump, and the old bike pump threw its
>>>washer down deep in the tube.. Had to retrieve the old cheapy pump to
>>>inflate it, then visit a on-holiday bicycle shop to buy another good
>>>hand pump (updated the Zefal HP really)
>>>
>>>First time I've ever been caught out like that. I suspec that the floor
>>>pump threads are worn.
>>>

>>My bloody floor pump has died. I pulled it apart to sus it out. (as I
>>have before. Put it back together with lots of grease.,. expecting the
>>seals were leaking and it would now at least sort of work. NADA

> We regularly fix pista/serfas track pumps. They last forever and cost
> about $75.

And u can get spares?

Dave