Oh I Love Bike Rage

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Uphill Downhill, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. As I was cycling home last night, with the sun shinning I went the long way. It is 27 miles very
    hilly and I was blasting along.

    Pumped up with adrenaline I turned into the home straight, round a corner(?) into a narow lane. As I
    started down it a black taxi came towards me, didn't slow and left me the narowest of gaps to speed
    through. His window was open, and as I went past I called called him a ( ) and took a swing at his
    wing mirror smashing the housing. Ohhh it made me so happy, I was looking forward to him giving
    chase but either I lost him at the next few turnings or he didn't come after me.

    Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    Tags:

  2. Lee

    Lee Guest

    "Uphill DownHill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    all 3 at the same time

    right - he should have given you more space wrong - you shouldnt have reacted agressively to it mad
    - all the black cabs will be lookin for you now to hunt you down!

  3. Uphill DownHill wrote:

    > His window was open, and as I went past I called called him a ( ) and took a swing at his wing
    > mirror smashing the housing.
    >
    > Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    Whilst I sympathise with your frustration, criminal damage is unacceptable and will further inhibit
    cycling from getting the good name it deserves.

    --
    Dnc

  4. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Uphill DownHill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > As I was cycling home last night, with the sun shinning I went the long way. It is 27 miles very
    > hilly and I was blasting along.
    >
    > Pumped up with adrenaline I turned into the home straight, round a
    corner(?)
    > into a narow lane. As I started down it a black taxi came towards me, didn't slow and left me the
    > narowest of gaps to speed through. His window was open, and as I went past I called called him a (
    > ) and took a swing at his
    wing
    > mirror smashing the housing. Ohhh it made me so happy, I was looking forward to him giving chase
    > but either I lost him at the next few turnings or he
    didn't
    > come after me.

    I would have stuck with the verbals. Although it's tempting to do what you did, there is a lot of
    risk involved with striking a car, especially one coming towards to you. Deliberately smashing a
    mirror might have sparked off an incident when he would turn round and deliberately ram you, or you
    might get done for damaging his car.

    Tempting though it is, I would practice some witty and barbed comments to use in these situations
    and just live with the fact that these ignorant boneheads exist. It's a good job they do- it makes
    the rest of us look brilliant ;-)

  5. Michael Kent

    Michael Kent Guest

    Uphill DownHill wrote:

    As I started down it a black taxi came towards me,
    > didn't slow and left me the narowest of gaps to speed through. His window was open, and as I went
    > past I called called him a ( ) and took a swing at his wing mirror smashing the housing. Ohhh it
    > made me so happy, I was looking forward to him giving chase but either I lost him at the next few
    > turnings or he didn't come after me.
    >

    > Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    Sorry I thought you said. As I started down it a black taxi came towards me, didn't slow and left me
    the narowest of gaps to speed through. His window was open, and as I went past I called called him a
    ( ) and started to go past the amount of room was so little that my arm touched his wing mirror
    inflicting some damage. I stopped to apologise but he sped off.
    :)

    --
    Michael Kent There are only 10 types of people in this world those who understand binary and those
    who don't. [email protected] Remove Shaggy's friend to reply

  6. Stephen \

    Stephen \ Guest

    Uphill DownHill wrote:
    > As I was cycling home last night, with the sun shinning I went the long way. It is 27 miles very
    > hilly and I was blasting along.
    >
    > Pumped up with adrenaline I turned into the home straight, round a corner(?) into a narow lane. As
    > I started down it a black taxi came towards me, didn't slow and left me the narowest of gaps to
    > speed through. His window was open, and as I went past I called called him a ( ) and took a swing
    > at his wing mirror smashing the housing. Ohhh it made me so happy, I was looking forward to him
    > giving chase but either I lost him at the next few turnings or he didn't come after me.
    >

    > Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    I think you were "right" to have a go although at yours and his speed probably a bit "mad". Still he
    got what he deserved.

  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Uphill DownHill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > As I was cycling home last night, with the sun shinning I went the long way. It is 27 miles very
    > hilly and I was blasting along.
    >
    > Pumped up with adrenaline I turned into the home straight, round a
    corner(?)
    > into a narow lane. As I started down it a black taxi came towards me, didn't slow and left me the
    > narowest of gaps to speed through. His window was open, and as I went past I called called him a (
    > ) and took a swing at his
    wing
    > mirror smashing the housing. Ohhh it made me so happy, I was looking forward to him giving chase
    > but either I lost him at the next few turnings or he
    didn't
    > come after me.
    >

    > Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    I would say that you acted like a knob.

  8. Garry B

    Garry B Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 14:31:18 +0100, "Uphill DownHill" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As I was cycling home last night, with the sun shinning I went the long way. It is 27 miles very
    >hilly and I was blasting along.
    >
    >Pumped up with adrenaline I turned into the home straight, round a corner(?) into a narow lane. As
    >I started down it a black taxi came towards me, didn't slow and left me the narowest of gaps to
    >speed through. His window was open, and as I went past I called called him a ( ) and took a swing
    >at his wing mirror smashing the housing. Ohhh it made me so happy

    Should have plunged a steel blade deep into his heart, you'd have been floating in heaven for a
    few hours.

    >Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    Nah, none of them.

    Garryb

  9. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Uphill DownHill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > As I was cycling home last night, with the sun shinning I went the long way. It is 27 miles very
    > hilly and I was blasting along.
    >
    > Pumped up with adrenaline I turned into the home straight, round a
    corner(?)
    > into a narow lane. As I started down it a black taxi came towards me, didn't slow and left me the
    > narowest of gaps to speed through. His window was open, and as I went past I called called him a (
    > ) and took a swing at his
    wing
    > mirror smashing the housing. Ohhh it made me so happy, I was looking forward to him giving chase
    > but either I lost him at the next few turnings or he
    didn't
    > come after me.
    >

    > Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    Understandable in the heat of the moment but not clever. Besides anything else you could have
    damaged yourself. ;-)

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

  10. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > > Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    Riding a cycle does not give you moral superiority or immunity from the law. You have deliberately
    damaged the property of someone else, ought to be ashamed of having to resort to using profanities,
    and not boast about actions that bring cyclists into disrepute. I certainly wouldn't want to be
    associated with cyclists who relish confrontation with car users. By all means be assertive but
    abusive, violent behaviour does not do the cycling community any favours.

    Hang your head in shame.

  11. dailuggs

    dailuggs New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    senior dickhead!

    do you think that will make him more aware to leave more room for us cyclists in the future- no, in fact he'll be worse toward us and so will al his cabbie m8's

    thank god i live no where near you!

  12. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > senior dickhead!

    When you've engaged both of your brain cells you might be able to conduct a polite exchange
    of opinion.

    > thank god i live no where near you!

    And I'm glad I don't share your petri dish.

  13. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Uphill DownHill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > As I was cycling home last night, with the sun shinning I went the long way. It is 27 miles very
    > hilly and I was blasting along.
    >
    > Pumped up with adrenaline I turned into the home straight, round a
    corner(?)
    > into a narow lane. As I started down it a black taxi came towards me, didn't slow and left me the
    > narowest of gaps to speed through. His window was open, and as I went past I called called him a (
    > ) and took a swing at his
    wing
    > mirror smashing the housing. Ohhh it made me so happy, I was looking forward to him giving chase
    > but either I lost him at the next few turnings or he
    didn't
    > come after me.
    >

    > Was I right, wrong, bad or mad?

    From your description it is not clear that you had the priority. However, presuming you had clear
    priority (which is often not the case in narrow lanes, you should perhaps review whether your riding
    position was correct to indicate clearly to the driver that you considered he should be giving way.
    See Cyclecraft for advice.

    Likewise, given that you considered it safe enough to 'speed through' this 'narrowest of gaps' and
    yet still had the time and presence of mind to both verbally abuse the driver and inflict criminal
    damage on his vehicle suggests there was sufficient room.

    Striking his wing mirror seems to me to have been particularly foolish in a confined space. It will
    inevitably have adversely affected your control of your bike and could have resulted in you being
    pulled under a moving vehicle.

    Why would putting yourself at risk and causing criminal damage to another road user's vehicle make
    you 'so happy'? Can I suggest you need to modify your riding behaviour. Being 'pumped up with
    adrenaline' (and testosterone by the sound of things) is not good when in control of a vehicle
    (including a bicycle) where a cool, calm and collected approach is almost always the safest.

    Why were you disappointed that he didn't come after you? This seems akin to the mentality of
    joyriders who steel cars and then taunt the police into giving chase. What were you hoping for? A
    further altercation where you could have punched his lights out?

    Wrong, bad and stupid would be my analysis based on your description.

  14. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "VERNON LEVY" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > senior dickhead!
    >
    > When you've engaged both of your brain cells you might be able to conduct
    > polite exchange of opinion.
    >
    > > thank god i live no where near you!
    >
    > And I'm glad I don't share your petri dish.

    Err, I think dailuggs was ranting about Uphill Downhill, not you. It's just that he replied to the
    wrong post.

  15. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4qg6b.2321$1%[email protected]...

    > "VERNON LEVY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >

    > > > senior dickhead!
    > >
    > > When you've engaged both of your brain cells you might be able to
    conduct
    > > polite exchange of opinion.
    > >
    > > > thank god i live no where near you!
    > >
    > > And I'm glad I don't share your petri dish.
    > >

    > Err, I think dailuggs was ranting about Uphill Downhill, not you. It's just that he replied to the
    > wrong post.

    Lets redirect my venom towards Uphill Downhill then...

    Hadn't had my early morning coffee to kick start my comprehension skills.

  16. Pk

    Pk Guest

    Michael Kent wrote:
    > Sorry I thought you said. As I started down it a black taxi came towards me, didn't slow and left
    > me the narowest of gaps to speed through. His window was open, and as I went past I called called
    > him a ( ) and started to go past the amount of room was so little that my arm touched his wing
    > mirror inflicting some damage. I stopped to apologise but he sped off. :)

    A friend who used to ride horses found an extended leg that scraped the strirrup down the side of a
    too close car an very effective weapon!

    pk

  17. In news:[email protected], Uphill DownHill <[email protected]> typed:

    > was open, and as I went past I called called him a ( ) and took a swing at his wing mirror
    > smashing the housing. Ohhh it made me so happy, I was looking forward to him giving chase but
    > either I lost him at the next few turnings or he didn't come after me.

    Well I can see *why* you did it - and guess you may consider yourself big enough to deal with any
    reprisals - but remember taxi drivers have radios; and often their "own ways" of dealing with
    things. It appears that one chap up the road from me fell foul of this - and received a few rounds
    from a .22 in his internal organs...

    Also *you* might get away with this - the taxi guy may take it out on the *next* cyclist - is
    *that* fair?

    Alex

  18. dailuggs

    dailuggs New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    yup it was directed to uphill downhill, sorry if i caused offence even thought it seems to be resolved anyhow

  19. Sue

    Sue Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, dailuggs <[email protected]> writes

    >do you think that will make him more aware to leave more room for us cyclists in the future- no, in
    >fact he'll be worse toward us and so will al his cabbie m8's

    Maybe. More likely he heard the bang and found his mirror had broken, thought he'd hit the cyclist
    and made himself scarce. A motor driver in a narrow space isn't normally looking out of the side
    window, so he could easily have been unaware that he'd been hit deliberately. Maybe he will be more
    careful in future, you never know.
    --
    Sue ]:(:)

  20. Vernon Levy

    Vernon Levy Guest

    > yup it was directed to uphill downhill, sorry if i caused offence even thought it seems to be
    > resolved anyhow

    All is forgiven :)