Oh man, I can't believe it! I'm the proud papa of a new Trek 5200.

ClemmonsHoo

May 6, 2004
I can't wait for it to get in (has to be shipped from CA). I
tested a Giant TCR Comp 1 - nice and light, sporty, but kinda rough; a Specialized Roubaix - very smooth, beautiful crank, but lousy stock wheels for a $2500 bike; a Litespeed Solano - very pretty, smooth as butter, incredible wheelset, but I did notice the loss of power transfer when I really stood on it; a Fuji Team Superlight - that thing is a 15lb rocketship, but it would beat my skinny butt up on a 40+ mile ride (not what I'm looking for). The Trek was just the best compromise between all of those, and I really, really like the LBS. Ken's Bike Shop in Winston-Salem - I just can't say enough about those guys!

Oh yeah, I also got to ride a Colnago C40 w/Record 10. What a sweet ride. It was a 2 year old, like-new bike that their regional distributor used as his show bike - almost no miles on it. They had it for $2800 and it was my size. I thought about it, but the color was just not to my taste.

Originally posted by ClemmonsHoo
I can't wait for it to get in (has to be shipped from CA). I
tested a Giant TCR Comp 1 - nice and light, sporty, but kinda rough; a Specialized Roubaix - very smooth, beautiful crank, but lousy stock wheels for a $2500 bike; a Litespeed Solano - very pretty, smooth as butter, incredible wheelset, but I did notice the loss of power transfer when I really stood on it; a Fuji Team Superlight - that thing is a 15lb rocketship, but it would beat my skinny butt up on a 40+ mile ride (not what I'm looking for). The Trek was just the best compromise between all of those, and I really, really like the LBS. Ken's Bike Shop in Winston-Salem - I just can't say enough about those guys!

Oh yeah, I also got to ride a Colnago C40 w/Record 10. What a sweet ride. It was a 2 year old, like-new bike that their regional distributor used as his show bike - almost no miles on it. They had it for $2800 and it was my size. I thought about it, but the color was just not to my taste.

Congrats on your new acquisition!! How would you compare the Colnago C40 and the tREK 5200?

The price difference is only $300 right?

Originally posted by Rudy
Congrats on your new acquisition!! How would you compare the Colnago C40 and the tREK 5200?

The price difference is only $300 right?

The Trek rode better than the C40. The C40 was sweet though with that Record 10 groupo, and only slightly lighter. The thing that turned me off was the paint scheme on the C40 - all black with yellow graphics everywhere. Still, if I was set on getting a Colnago I'd have jumped all over that deal.

The price dif was $500 because my LBS gave me a great deal on the 5200 for coming back to them (I had told them that I had to go test the other bikes before making a decision).

Awesome. I bought my new 5200 a little over a month ago. I love it!!! What color did you get? I got the blue, team color one.

Originally posted by ClemmonsHoo
The Trek rode better than the C40. The C40 was sweet though with that Record 10 groupo, and only slightly lighter. The thing that turned me off was the paint scheme on the C40 - all black with yellow graphics everywhere. Still, if I was set on getting a Colnago I'd have jumped all over that deal.

The price dif was $500 because my LBS gave me a great deal on the 5200 for coming back to them (I had told them that I had to go test the other bikes before making a decision).

the Trek rides better than the C40? wow!!

In what way is it better? can you be a bit more specific?

Thanks

Originally posted by skillit
Awesome. I bought my new 5200 a little over a month ago. I love it!!! What color did you get? I got the blue, team color one.

I got the nude carbon. Both colors are great though.

Originally posted by Rudy
the Trek rides better than the C40? wow!!

In what way is it better? can you be a bit more specific?

Thanks

They both had similar geometry, but the 5200 absorbed more road buzz than the C40. Don't get me wrong, the C40 is excellent, but the Trek seemed like it would be more comfortable on a longer ride. Maybe that means the C40 would be a wee more efficient power-wise, I'm not sure.