Oh... My... GOD!!!

Katra

Guest
Ok, playing around with cooking Sunday dinner as usual... I try to cook more expensive items as a
treat as a general rule.

Tonight was seafood stir fry.

Included the following:

Sea scallops medium salad shrimp (that have more flavor as SMALL salad shrimp have NO flavor IMHO)
Sliced fresh mushrooms more fresh mushrooms cut in half 1 whole chopped white onion 1 whole chopped
purple onion a large bud of fresh grated ginger a generous sprinkle of powdered garlic a dollop of
low sodium soy sauce

'twas good iniitially, but too much liquid from the fresh mushrooms.

Dad got the (turns out good) idea of adding some port wine prior to letting it cook down...

Oh_my_god.

Mom had taught me to use a bit of sugar anyway to enrich savory recipe's...

The port addition was, like, heaven. ;-d

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra wrote:

> Ok, playing around with cooking Sunday dinner as usual... I try to cook more expensive items as a
> treat as a general rule.
>
> Tonight was seafood stir fry.
>
> Included the following:
>
> Sea scallops medium salad shrimp (that have more flavor as SMALL salad shrimp have NO flavor IMHO)
> Sliced fresh mushrooms more fresh mushrooms cut in half 1 whole chopped white onion 1 whole
> chopped purple onion a large bud of fresh grated ginger a generous sprinkle of powdered garlic a
> dollop of low sodium soy sauce
>
> 'twas good iniitially, but too much liquid from the fresh mushrooms.
>
> Dad got the (turns out good) idea of adding some port wine prior to letting it cook down...
>
> Oh_my_god.
>
> Mom had taught me to use a bit of sugar anyway to enrich savory recipe's...
>
> The port addition was, like, heaven. ;-d
>
> K.

Mine was simple: flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt, toppings. Homemade pizza; simple and quick, and
the kids had fun.

Rich

Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:59:14 -0600, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Sea scallops medium salad shrimp (that have more flavor as SMALL salad shrimp have NO flavor IMHO)
>Sliced fresh mushrooms more fresh mushrooms cut in half 1 whole chopped white onion 1 whole chopped
>purple onion a large bud of fresh grated ginger a generous sprinkle of powdered garlic

Powdered garlic in stir-fry? Sheesh - What a whimp.

>a dollop of low sodium soy sauce

A good oyster sauce is imperative for most any stirfry.

>'twas good iniitially, but too much liquid from the fresh mushrooms.

Straw mushrooms kick butt.

>Dad got the (turns out good) idea of adding some port wine prior to letting it cook down...

Sherry works too (or rice wine).

I had really spicy fried smelts with a mayo-sriracha dipping sauce and brussels sprouts.

-sw

Katra <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ok, playing around with cooking Sunday dinner as usual... I try to cook more expensive items as a
> treat as a general rule.
>
> Tonight was seafood stir fry.
>
> Included the following:
>
> Sea scallops medium salad shrimp (that have more flavor as SMALL salad shrimp have NO flavor IMHO)

Was that you in line next to me at the seafood counter at Winco in Tigard, OR? If not you and some
total stranger ate a meal with the same ingredients last night...;)

-L.

In article <[email protected]>,
Richard Periut <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Ok, playing around with cooking Sunday dinner as usual... I try to cook more expensive items as
> > a treat as a general rule.
> >
> > Tonight was seafood stir fry.
> >
> > Included the following:
> >
> > Sea scallops medium salad shrimp (that have more flavor as SMALL salad shrimp have NO flavor
> > IMHO) Sliced fresh mushrooms more fresh mushrooms cut in half 1 whole chopped white onion 1
> > whole chopped purple onion a large bud of fresh grated ginger a generous sprinkle of powdered
> > garlic a dollop of low sodium soy sauce
> >
> > 'twas good iniitially, but too much liquid from the fresh mushrooms.
> >
> > Dad got the (turns out good) idea of adding some port wine prior to letting it cook down...
> >
> > Oh_my_god.
> >
> > Mom had taught me to use a bit of sugar anyway to enrich savory recipe's...
> >
> > The port addition was, like, heaven. ;-d
> >
> > K.
> >

> Mine was simple: flour, water, yeast, sugar, salt, toppings. Homemade pizza; simple and quick, and
> the kids had fun.
>
> Rich

<smiles> Ok. :)

K.

--

Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:59:14 -0600, Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Sea scallops medium salad shrimp (that have more flavor as SMALL salad shrimp have NO flavor
> >IMHO) Sliced fresh mushrooms more fresh mushrooms cut in half 1 whole chopped white onion 1 whole
> >chopped purple onion a large bud of fresh grated ginger a generous sprinkle of powdered garlic
>
> Powdered garlic in stir-fry? Sheesh - What a whimp.

Fresh garlic just, well, does not agree with me. :p I had to give it up. I taste it in my saliva
for about 24 hours after using it. I'll sweat it too. Ick! Roasted garlic paste works ok tho'.

> >a dollop of low sodium soy sauce
>
> A good oyster sauce is imperative for most any stirfry.

I have some. I'll have to try that. ;-)

> >'twas good iniitially, but too much liquid from the fresh mushrooms.
>
> Straw mushrooms kick butt.

Fresh or canned? I use the canned a lot from My Thanh on North Lamar. Fresh sliced are better than
canned. Fresh sliced oyster mushrooms from central market are the gods too, but they are about
$9.00 per lb.

> >Dad got the (turns out good) idea of adding some port wine prior to letting it cook down...
>
> Sherry works too (or rice wine).

Rice wine (Saki) sux IMHO, tastes like oatmeal, but I'll go with cream sherry. ;-) Similar
flavor to Port.

> I had really spicy fried smelts with a mayo-sriracha dipping sauce and brussels sprouts.
>
> -sw

GOD I hate brussel sprouts! Used to love them as a kid, but I've developed a real hatred of
those things. ;-P Made some anyway with baby carrots for dad last week and he enjoyed them
steamed with butter.

I'll use Brocolli and Cauliflower crowns ok, or savoy cabbage, chard, celery, etc. in their place!

Kat

--

[email protected] (-L.) wrote:

> Katra <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<KatraMungBean-
> [email protected]>...
> > Ok, playing around with cooking Sunday dinner as usual... I try to cook more expensive items as
> > a treat as a general rule.
> >
> > Tonight was seafood stir fry.
> >
> > Included the following:
> >
> > Sea scallops medium salad shrimp (that have more flavor as SMALL salad shrimp have NO
> > flavor IMHO)
>
> Was that you in line next to me at the seafood counter at Winco in Tigard, OR? If not you and some
> total stranger ate a meal with the same ingredients last night...;)
>
> -L.

I guess great minds and all that... ;-) I was in line late yesterday afternoon at the San
Marcos HEB. <G>

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 19:51:25 -0600, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Straw mushrooms kick butt.
>
>Fresh or canned? I use the canned a lot from My Thanh on North Lamar. Fresh sliced are better
>than canned.

Canned, of course. I prefer the taste and texture of canned straw mushrooms over any fresh button or
white mushroom in Asian cusines. Fresh shitakes are good, too, and getting pretty cheap now days.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 19:51:25 -0600, Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >> Straw mushrooms kick butt.
> >
> >Fresh or canned? I use the canned a lot from My Thanh on North Lamar. Fresh sliced are better
> >than canned.
>
> Canned, of course. I prefer the taste and texture of canned straw mushrooms over any fresh
> button or white mushroom in Asian cusines. Fresh shitakes are good, too, and getting pretty
> cheap now days.
>

> -sw

Ok, providing you can get Shitake to taste like something other than burnt tire rubber. :p So far,
I've not had much luck so any hints would be appreciated.

Fresh Shitake are still not cheap. $9.00 per lb. at Central Market. They used to be $7.00 per lb.
Where are you getting them cheap? I can buy really good shrimp or snow crab for that price instead!

I agree about the canned Straw Mushrooms. They are yummy no matter what you do to them, while canned
golden mushrooms are like eating rubber spagettig. Ick!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<[email protected]>,,<

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 20:54:36 -0600, Katra
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Fresh Shitake are still not cheap. $9.00 per lb. at Central Market. They used to be $7.00 per lb.
>Where are you getting them cheap? I can buy really good shrimp or snow crab for that price instead!

I can get them at some HEB's for $4.50-$5.00. You have to get them when they first come out though
(within the first week). Sometimes they sit on the shelves too long.

I don't know how you're getting them to taste like rubber. They taste mighty fine to me.
Now...Saffron.. *that* tastes like rubber, to me at least.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>,
Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 20:54:36 -0600, Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Fresh Shitake are still not cheap. $9.00 per lb. at Central Market. They used to be $7.00 per lb.
> >Where are you getting them cheap? I can buy really good shrimp or snow crab for that price
> >instead!
>
> I can get them at some HEB's for $4.50-$5.00. You have to get them when they first come out though
> (within the first week). Sometimes they sit on the shelves too long.
>
> I don't know how you're getting them to taste like rubber. They taste mighty fine to me.
> Now...Saffron.. *that* tastes like rubber, to me at least.
>
> -sw

Must be genetic in the taste buds. ;-) Saffron tastes fine to me..... Similar to turmeric.

Fresh oyster 'shrooms are still a wunderful treat! Sauteed in salt free butter.

My favorite tho' is still marinated grilled Portabello.

K.