Oh no! Another ride report!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, Jun 27, 2005.

  1. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    Keen students of this group might remember a week or two back I posted
    asking for advice regarding how far Young People could be expected to
    ride, as I was organising a weekend along the South Downs Way for my
    Scouts. Much useful info was gathered (and acted on) and this weekend
    saw the trip itslef take place.

    We had to abandon the idea of Youth Hostelling as the ones we had
    lined up were fully booked so I looked at various Scout campsites.
    Unfortunately these were full too, but one of the scout troops
    involved let us camp in the grounds of their hut (hats off to 3rd/5th
    Lancing). We opted for a support car, as he was required to carry the
    tents - it just wasn't practical on this first outing to have the
    Scouts carry their own kit.

    Usual faffing around led to a delated start, so finally at 11:10 on
    Saturday a group of 6 Scouts (10-13) and 3 adults set off from outside
    Lewes prison (trivia fans: my great grandfather was Governor there) up
    the bridleway to Blackcap. When I rode the route myself, I covered
    Lewes to Shoreham in 2h 15min. It took us 1 hour to get up Blackcap, a
    whole 4km from the start. I began to wonder if I'd over estimated
    their abilities. The next leg was quicker, as we were going along
    rather than up andwe were soon at Ditchling Beacon, for a water refill
    stop and ice cream.

    Onward and a bit of upward, the next objective being Jack and Jill
    windmills. Although we were riding right on the edge of the Downs, the
    weather meant the view wasn't that great, which was a shame. We were
    soon descending alongside the golf course to Pyecombe, when one of the
    lads had a puncture. We did a bit of group teaching, including Helen
    Vecht's advice to "eat something before you start to fix it". Underway
    again and we were climbing the hill up from Pyecombe, seeing a pair of
    buzzards and a kestrel. Most of the party walked up most of the hills
    except yours truly, one of the other adults and an indestructible lad
    of 12 on an Apollo double bounce machine made of Depleted Uranium.
    It's not about the bike.

    The lad who punctured had clouted his knee at the same time and was in
    a bit of difficulty, so we strapped it up and phoned the support car,
    who met us at Saddlescombe. As it was about two o'clock we took a
    lunch stop then completed the climb upto Devil's Dyke for a loo stop.

    The next section went nice and quickly and we were soon down by the
    River Adur. Whizz down the coast link and over the old toll bridge to
    the edge of the "oldest airport in the country" and wiggle alongside
    Lancing College to the scout hut. Tents were soon (FSVO soon) up and
    dinner on. Wine for grown ups eased the muscles, a game of football
    for the YP did the same for them. We had a route planning session for
    te next day, with two options under consideration, long and short.
    Then bed. And sleep.

    Up early the next day, bacon sandwiches, bread and jam, cornflakes for
    brekko and we were on our way. Unfortunately the injured lad hadn't
    recovered overnight, so carried on as navigator for the support car.
    We made very good time heading north up the Downs Link and were at
    Copsale, our lunch stop and route descision point by 12:30. Everyone
    agreed to go for the long option and cycle back to Crawley rather than
    finish at Christs Hospital. Some well behaved riding on quiet lanes,
    then up through St Leonards Forest, more lanes then heading towards
    Tilgate Forest, when "ting" I ran over a bit of debris as I coasted
    down hill. Or did I? Trying to pedal going up a slight rise and All
    Was Not Well. A look at the rear mech revealed a 50% deficiency in the
    jockey wheelcomplement, as the bolt had come loose and thewheel falen
    out. Bizarre. And only 10 minutes from home. I considered shortening
    the chain, but decided to coast/walk/try to pedal home instead. We
    arrived back at 15:30, some more tired than others, all pleased with
    the achievement, all had a great time.

    TSIF:

    Saturday distance 38km
    Sunday distance 48km
    Riding time Saturday, inc stops: 6:20
    Riding time Sunday, inc stops: 5:00

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Tim Hall wrote:
    > Keen students of this group might remember a week or two back I posted
    > asking for advice regarding how far Young People could be expected to
    > ride, as I was organising a weekend along the South Downs Way for my
    > Scouts. Much useful info was gathered (and acted on) and this weekend
    > saw the trip itslef take place.

    Well done! sounds like a good time was had by all.

    ...d

  3. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    Following on from Tim Hall's message. . .

    [Comprehensive ride report snipped]

    Good to hear everything went OK on the day.

    So what hot tips have you got for others and what, if anything, would
    you do differently next time?

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the bottom fell out of the bucket business
    [email protected]

  4. daren

    daren Guest

    Well done Tim,

    Did you pump then full of biscuits? My top kiddy tip is chocolate
    bourbons in the back pocket. About one every other mile or so.
    Chocolate taste and no melting. Kids burn fuel so fast that tired and
    hungry is always a Bad Thing (TM).

    Was the support car Red or Yellow, and who stood up through the
    sunroof?
    regards

    Daren
    --
    remove outer garment for reply

  5. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:23:58 +0100, Peter Fox
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Following on from Tim Hall's message. . .
    >
    >[Comprehensive ride report snipped]
    >
    >Good to hear everything went OK on the day.
    >
    >So what hot tips have you got for others and what, if anything, would
    >you do differently next time?

    Hmm, tips:

    Make sure the bikes are checked thoroughly before hand. We did, even
    so I missed a not hard enough rear tyre which allowed/contributed to
    the snake bite puncture.

    Ensure all going are aware of how far it is and that it can be a
    challenging ride.

    Take time to enjoy the scenery and wild life.

    Water. Make sure everyone keeps drinking. As it happened it wasn't a
    particularly hot day, but even so we shifted a fair amount.

    Don't let the group spread out _too far_. Have regular regrouping
    stops/rests.

    Snacks: We used tracker bars with chocolate bits in them, plus
    banananananas. Tracker bars don't melt quite as much as regular
    chocolate bars. These were freely available from my bar bag.

    Changes for next time:

    Try and do it self contained. Rooting round in the garage I realised
    I've got 4 unused racks. I've got a Bob Yak too. If I can educate the
    Scouts to carry less kit we could be on for cycle camping, although
    I'll need more panniers.

    Tim