Oh, no - It's deer season again

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by AlleyGator, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. AlleyGator

    AlleyGator Guest

    Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
    and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
    another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
    and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat, make a nice
    gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway, it's become
    so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey (that's
    pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes, and I've
    seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites - but I'm
    just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    that. Something creative? Anyone?

    --
    The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
    At least now I have an excuse.

    Tags:

  2. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
    > and throw the rest away.
    >
    > I'm just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the ordinary.
    > Something creative? Anyone?

    How about you swaddle yourself in that deer skin, shove an antler up
    your ass, and lay out on the interstate while waiting for a semi to
    come along... as far as I'm concerned all of you can be thrown away.

    Sheldon

  3. AlleyGator wrote:
    > but I'm
    > just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    > ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    > that. Something creative? Anyone?
    >
    > --

    Bambi burgers? You'd eat Bambi?

  4. itsjoannotjoann wrote:
    > AlleyGator wrote:
    >
    >>but I'm
    >>just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    >>ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    >>that. Something creative? Anyone?
    >>
    >>--

    > Bambi burgers? You'd eat Bambi?

    With relish (mustard, too!).

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  5. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:

    > Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
    > and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
    > another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
    > and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat, make a nice
    > gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway, it's become
    > so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey (that's
    > pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes, and I've
    > seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites - but I'm
    > just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    > ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    > that. Something creative? Anyone?
    >
    > --
    > The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
    > At least now I have an excuse.

    I made a hunter's pie using venison topped with a fancy potato topping
    that originally is supposed to be a baked potato dish. It came out very
    nice.

  6. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:

    > itsjoannotjoann wrote:
    >
    >> AlleyGator wrote:
    >>
    >>> but I'm
    >>> just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    >>> ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    >>> that. Something creative? Anyone?
    >>>
    >>> --

    >> Bambi burgers? You'd eat Bambi?
    >>

    > With relish (mustard, too!).

    And a couple of slices of bacon :)

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (AlleyGator) wrote:

    > Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
    > and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
    > another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
    > and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat, make a nice
    > gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway, it's become
    > so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey (that's
    > pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes, and I've
    > seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites - but I'm
    > just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    > ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    > that. Something creative? Anyone?
    >
    > --
    > The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
    > At least now I have an excuse.

    I would just jerk it all. ;-)
    I know what you mean, it's possible to have TOO much deer meat in the
    freezer! Smoked deer sausage is also a good standby. A lot of folks
    around here just have the butcher make sausage out of most of it.
    --
    Om.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >
    > > itsjoannotjoann wrote:

    > >> Bambi burgers? You'd eat Bambi?
    > >>

    > > With relish (mustard, too!).
    > >

    > And a couple of slices of bacon :)

    And lettuce and tomato, on a toasted bun...
    with sauteed' sliced mushrooms.
    --
    Om.

  9. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    The other night I made a Rigatoni w/3 cheeses in the oven, and substituted
    Venison for the ground beef,,,,,and everyone went back for 2nds.
    Didn't tell the kids,,,,they asked me to make it again!

    news:[email protected]

  10. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>sarah bennett wrote:

    >>>With relish (mustard, too!).
    >>>

    >>And a couple of slices of bacon :)

    > And lettuce and tomato, on a toasted bun...
    > with sauteed' sliced mushrooms.

    and some onion.

    --

    saerah

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  11. AlleyGator wrote:
    I'm
    > just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    > ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    > that. Something creative? Anyone?

    Can it. We've been canning vennison since the 1960s, and it's really
    quite good. I like nothing more than taking a quart of canned vennison,
    adding about 1/2 pound of frozen peas, and serving the whole mess over
    mashed potatoes. Or use it to make a stew. Tendy, juicy, and
    delicious.

    If you've got steaks pan fry them and add about 1/4 cup of currant
    jelly just before they are done. Remove the steaks and deglaze the pan
    with red wine; serve the wine/jelly sauce over the steak.

    If you have lots of venison just make sausage...it's easy to do and fun
    for the whole family. We make brats each year and enjoy experimenting
    with mixtures like venison and wild rice.

    -Kiwanda

  12. Roberta

    Roberta Guest

    AlleyGator wrote:
    > Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
    > and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
    > another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
    > and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat, make a nice
    > gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway, it's become
    > so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey (that's
    > pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes, and I've
    > seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites - but I'm
    > just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    > ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    > that. Something creative? Anyone?
    >
    > --
    > The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
    > At least now I have an excuse.

    You see, and I am sooo jealous! (well depending on what area of the
    country you are in...and the deer is from) I grew up in Michigan (my
    birthday being opening day) and have always LOVED venison. I have only
    had it once since I moved away and it wasn't the same. :( For some
    reason I really never thought about the fact that deer in different
    areas of the country would taste differnt due to different diets...

    Anyway - I would give anything to have GOOD venison stocked in my
    freezer in all it's forms :)

    Roberta (in VA)

  13. hob

    hob Guest

    "itsjoannotjoann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > AlleyGator wrote:
    > > but I'm
    > > just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    > > ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    > > that. Something creative? Anyone?
    > >
    > > --

    > Bambi burgers? You'd eat Bambi?

    It would be a gourmet meal - a unique flavor -

    If you look carefully at Bambi's alleged parents, he was a freak of nature -

    his mother was a deer, and his father was no buck deer - dad looks a lot
    like a wapiti

  14. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] wrote:

    > On 23 Nov 2005 00:51:02 -0600, "Bob Terwilliger"
    > <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:
    >
    > >Shirley wrote:
    > >
    > >> I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
    > >> fed to the dogs only.

    > >Cold-pack it and send it to me. I love the stuff.

    > Yuck !!!!
    > >

    > >> What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they have deer hunting during
    > >> the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I prepare a nice Thanksgiving
    > >> dinner, all our friends come over and all the men leave to go hunting
    > >> (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all I see of my husband on this
    > >> holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out the door armed with a handful
    > >> of guns and lots of beer. I end up spending the holiday with all the
    > >> wives and that one guy who are all really fed up with the guys leaving
    > >> each year. We spend the whole day waiting for them to come back.

    > >Can't you think of any party games? Seems like this would be a perfect time
    > >for Naked Mazola Twister. And what's stopping you from boozing it up while
    > >they're gone? Only thing better than Naked Mazola Twister is DRUNKEN Naked
    > >Mazola Twister.

    > If I could find one, all us women would go to a strip club. That
    > would show the guys.

    Create your own.
    Hire a few...
    --
    Om.

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I look forward to Hunting Season,,,,,,my man works hard all year long, and
    > he deserves to go out in the woods and play Hunter.
    > That's the week, I enjoy doing female things with my friends, re-decorating,
    > painting a room,,,,,girl-time, shopping, etc.
    > We both need a break from each other.

    I see it the same way.
    She needs a serious wake up call!

    <sigh>

    She has no idea how good she has it.
    --
    Om.

  16. Shirley replied:

    >> Why not PLAN to have dinner after dark? If you know that they're not
    >> going to be back until after dark, isn't it STUPID to make a banquet that
    >> is ready hours and hours too early? If I were in your bitter worn-out
    >> shoes (and GOD am I glad I'm not!) I'd plan to have dinner ready around 8
    >> PM. That ought to be enough time for the hunters to get cleaned up and
    >> have some nibbles with cocktails before dinner starts. And with wives
    >> like you, I'm sure they NEED those cocktails.

    > We have always had thanksgiving dinner at noon. My parents and
    > grandparents did the same. Its tradition, and is not getting screwed
    > up because the guys want to play war in the woods while they are
    > drunk. There's 364 other days of the year they can do that nonsense.

    Oh, so you value a tradition that comes from your PARENTS (not HIS family, I
    note) more than you value your marriage. Nice.

    There are *not* 364 other days in deer-hunting season, nor are there 364
    days when all his friends have time off from work. I'd chuck your
    tradition; I see no value in it. When you marry, you're supposed to form a
    NEW family with your husband. I see that you haven't, nor do you intend to.

    Deal with the situation as it *is*, not as how you *wish* it were.

    >> C'mon, li'l lady, don't be that way...you just don't understand huntin'.
    >> There *are* reasons for the dates applied to the various hunting seasons,
    >> but you wouldn't know about that kind of ecology or forestry; all YOU
    >> care about is your precious Thanksgiving dinner, which you DELIBERATELY
    >> turn into a martyr-fest.

    > Like I said, There's 364 other days of the year they can do that
    > nonsense.

    Like I said, BULLSHIT! (Okay, I paraphrased a bit...) You just want to feel
    sorry for yourself, but you don't have a leg to stand on.

    > I dont like the idea of killing on a holiday anyhow. My
    > Tha.... dinner takes a lot more work than drinking beer and blasting
    > guns at each other or what ever the hell they do out there.

    There's another problem with your attitude. I cook elaborate meals on
    holidays because I *enjoy* doing it. It's almost like I'm performing on
    stage. Rather than embracing the opportunity to showcase your skills,
    you've turned it into drudgery. You've turned what SHOULD be an occasion of
    social and familial warmth into a bitch session. Shame on you!

    >> Sounds like you have a terrific marriage going there.

    > I married my husband to be WITH me. Not to be alone on a holiday. I
    > thought holidays were a time to be with family.

    He comes home for dinner, doesn't he? There's your family time, right there!

    I doubt that any of this will sink in, but in truth, you haven't come up
    with a single thing that I consider a valid complaint.

    Bob

  17. Mark D

    Mark D Guest

    How about you swaddle yourself in that deer skin, shove an antler up
    your ass, and lay out on the interstate while waiting for a semi to come
    along... as far as I'm concerned all of you can be thrown away.
    Sheldon
    ======================================

    Why's that Sheldon?
    I gather from this you not only hate Venison, but hate people who hunt?

    If so, maybe you have gotten a wrong imprssion at some point in your
    life, perhaps a bad childhhod memory that soured you against the sport,
    and those that partake in it? Honestly, I don't know?

    I've hunted in my younger years, pretty much small game, and Fowl, but
    never Deer Hunting, and enjoy Target, and Trap/Skeet.

    While I'll eat Venison if it's prepared properly, I personally dislike
    the thought also of killing Deer.... but I have no qualms about those
    that wish to, provided they do so in a legal, and responsible manner.
    Yes, there's always the clowns who give the "sport" a bad rep.

    I parenthesize the word sport, as I myself actually don't see the sport
    in shooting a Deer with a High power rifle, or shotgun with slugs.
    It would truly be a sport if the Deer was maybe shooting back?

    Truth is, in many states without hunting, the overpopulation of Deer
    would be unbelieveable.
    Way more deer would actually die from disease, than from hunting. Even
    states that you wouldn't suspect hold vast numbers of Deer population,
    let's say like West Virginia.
    I read one year 48,000 animals were killed, and the state was still
    overrun.

    I respect your opinon Sheldon, and you're entitled to it. As I mentioned
    earlier, for those who do so legally, and responsibly, I have no
    problems with. If you eat any other meat, it's essentially the same
    thing, except the slaughterhouses, and butcher is making it painless for
    you. Mark

  18. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-11-24, Mark D <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I respect your opinon Sheldon......

    Well, that pretty much shoots your credibility all to Hell.

    nb

  19. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > We have always had thanksgiving dinner at noon. My parents and
    > grandparents did the same. Its tradition, and is not getting screwed
    > up because the guys want to play war in the woods while they are
    > drunk. There's 364 other days of the year they can do that nonsense.
    >
    > ....snip...
    >
    > Like I said, There's 364 other days of the year they can do that
    > nonsense. I dont like the idea of killing on a holiday anyhow. My
    > Tha.... dinner takes a lot more work than drinking beer and blasting
    > guns at each other or what ever the hell they do out there.

    Wow. We have some control issues happening here. Deer hunting season is short.
    There are not 364 other days to do it. It's a real bonus for a deer hunter to
    have holiday time so that he can go hunting. Deer hunting is usually a morning
    thing, or late afternoon, so he could do his hunting and be back right after
    dark, which is a good time for a nice hearty meal.

    But nooooooo...... you family had supper at lunch time so you have to rain on his
    parade.

    However, I draw the line at drinking and shooting. The deer hunters I know retire
    to the cabin for beverages. Only fools drink while they are hunting. If he is
    one of those guys who drinks while he hunts I wouldn't let him back in the
    trailers. Make him sleep under the porch with the hounds.

    > Yup, thats exactly how I feel about it. I suppose they will get all
    > drunk on Christmas too. If he keeps it up, he's going to be living in
    > the corner bar with all the other drunks and huntersm and he can sleep
    > with men instead of me. I'm starting to think that maybe he's like
    > that better anyhow. I'm just waiting till he starts to bring his guns
    > to bed with him since he loves his guns and those men more than me.
    > That's when he leaves. I already threatened him.

    I am starting to see why he prefers the company of his friends.

    Good luck

  20. Shaun aRe

    Shaun aRe Guest

    "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
    > and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
    > another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the tenderloin
    > and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat, make a nice
    > gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway, it's become
    > so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey (that's
    > pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes, and I've
    > seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites - but I'm
    > just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
    > ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
    > that. Something creative? Anyone?

    1) Take whole dressed cuts and roasts of venison, plus the trimmed choicest
    offal, and wrap each piece individually in sterile muslin cloths, and leave
    refrigerated until excess surface moisture is no longer present - the meat
    should feel dry to the touch.

    2) Unwrap each piece, then wrap once more but in /fresh/ pieces of muslin.

    3) Place into a spotlessly clean, sturdy cardboard box or clean plywood case
    into which has been placed about a pound of *dried* salt, split 8 ways into
    small muslin wraps evenly distributed around the box/case, making certain
    there is no room for the meats to jostle.

    4) Immediately Fed-Ex Overnite or similar the cased meats to me here in
    England.

    5) Sit back with a large glass of something gorgeous and feel the immense
    and soul filling satisfaction that comes with gifting generously to someone
    appreciative.

    Shaun aRe