Oh, no - It's deer season again

Dave Smith wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>

>>We have always had thanksgiving dinner at noon. My parents and
>>grandparents did the same. Its tradition, and is not getting screwed
>>up because the guys want to play war in the woods while they are
>>drunk. There's 364 other days of the year they can do that nonsense.
>>
>>....snip...
>>
>>Like I said, There's 364 other days of the year they can do that
>>nonsense. I dont like the idea of killing on a holiday anyhow. My
>>Tha.... dinner takes a lot more work than drinking beer and blasting
>>guns at each other or what ever the hell they do out there.
>>

> Wow. We have some control issues happening here. Deer hunting season is short.
> There are not 364 other days to do it. It's a real bonus for a deer hunter to
> have holiday time so that he can go hunting. Deer hunting is usually a morning
> thing, or late afternoon, so he could do his hunting and be back right after
> dark, which is a good time for a nice hearty meal.

I'd say major control issues!

> But nooooooo...... you family had supper at lunch time so you have to rain on his
> parade.

She's certainly trying. I suppose if they get a dear she won't be
interested in the meat either.

> However, I draw the line at drinking and shooting. The deer hunters I know retire
> to the cabin for beverages. Only fools drink while they are hunting. If he is
> one of those guys who drinks while he hunts I wouldn't let him back in the
> trailers. Make him sleep under the porch with the hounds.

Too right!

>>Yup, thats exactly how I feel about it. I suppose they will get all
>>drunk on Christmas too. If he keeps it up, he's going to be living in
>>the corner bar with all the other drunks and huntersm and he can sleep
>>with men instead of me. I'm starting to think that maybe he's like
>>that better anyhow. I'm just waiting till he starts to bring his guns
>>to bed with him since he loves his guns and those men more than me.
>>That's when he leaves. I already threatened him.
>>

> I am starting to see why he prefers the company of his friends.

Sounds like a little jealousy mixed in with the control issues. I
wonder how they ever got together in the first place. Do you suppose it
was because of her good cooking?

> Good luck

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Sandy" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I look forward to Hunting Season,,,,,,my man works hard all year long,

and
> > he deserves to go out in the woods and play Hunter.
> > That's the week, I enjoy doing female things with my friends,

re-decorating,
> > painting a room,,,,,girl-time, shopping, etc.
> > We both need a break from each other.

> I see it the same way.
> She needs a serious wake up call!
>
> <sigh>
>
> She has no idea how good she has it.

Sounds to me like her and friends and him and friends all bloody need that -
if the guys going out and doing these things, and the women are getting so
damned ****** off at them, that neither party has talked any of it over with
the other - IOW, zero communication, just disrespect and bitter *****ing.

Shaun aRe

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>How about you swaddle yourself in that deer skin, shove an antler up
>your ass, and lay out on the interstate while waiting for a semi to
>come along... as far as I'm concerned all of you can be thrown away.
>
>Sheldon

Hi Sheldon. I almost bought the farm a while back, but now I'm in
serious remission, working part time and hope to go back full-time in
about a week for which I am very grateful - just in time for
"Thanksgiving". All of which means my mental attitude is back where
it belongs, finally. So I hope you won't be disappointed, but I won't
be taking bait any longer. I am, however, flattered that you still
find me to be a worthy target <G>. Hope you have a great holiday.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

"AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote

> Hi Sheldon. I almost bought the farm a while back, but now I'm in
> serious remission, working part time and hope to go back full-time in
> about a week for which I am very grateful - just in time for
> "Thanksgiving".

All great news! That's terrific. nancy

[email protected] (Mark D) wrote:

>Why's that Sheldon?
>I gather from this you not only hate Venison, but hate people who hunt?
>
>If so, maybe you have gotten a wrong imprssion at some point in your
>life, perhaps a bad childhhod memory that soured you against the sport,
>and those that partake in it? Honestly, I don't know?
>
>I've hunted in my younger years, pretty much small game, and Fowl, but
>never Deer Hunting, and enjoy Target, and Trap/Skeet.
>
>While I'll eat Venison if it's prepared properly, I personally dislike
>the thought also of killing Deer.... but I have no qualms about those
>that wish to, provided they do so in a legal, and responsible manner.
>Yes, there's always the clowns who give the "sport" a bad rep.

I hunt, but I don't hunt deer anymore. My son is the fanatic there.
Call me a wuss, but I know I just can't shoot a deer again. I don't
know why - guess I've become soft. However, if you lived here where
the deer are thicker than flies, you'd be hopinig SOMEONE kills a few
thousand of them. The car/deer accident numbers are off the charts
here. In the last 5 years, we have personally had 4 insurance claims
for the same. One of them, the deer came through the windshield and
put my son in the hospital. Turn out of my driveway and head down the
country road just after dawn or before dusk - both sides of the road
look like a deer farm. I usually stop mowing the field next to the
house just before fall arrives. It provides cover for them, and most
any evening, I can step out the front door, walk 20 feet left, shine a
light and see dozens of pairs of eyes looking at me - all of them
bedded down for the night, right out in the field - and we're infested
with coyotes, but AFAIK they have never attacked any of them in the
field. Also, while people hunt deer just off the way and behind the
treeline, they can't shoot deer in the field next to my house. First
of all, the distance rule is involved and secondly, everyone around
here knows I don't allow it and it's posted. A few friends come here
and that's it. My son doesn't even hunt here, he goes to a different
county, because a friend has a few thousand acres, and it's a much
nicer place to go to and spend some time relaxing. A garden is
impossible here. Two times, I have had does leap the fence into the
immediate yard where the dogs stay, panic, and totally destroy my
fence trying to get out. I think they're beautiful, but they're also
just short of vermin sometimes.

--

"Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote:

>All great news! That's terrific. nancy

Thank you Nancy. You're like a breath of fresh air most of the time.
Have a great Thanksgiving.

--

AlleyGator wrote:

> I hunt, but I don't hunt deer anymore. My son is the fanatic there.
> Call me a wuss, but I know I just can't shoot a deer again. I don't
> know why - guess I've become soft. However, if you lived here where
> the deer are thicker than flies, you'd be hopinig SOMEONE kills a few
> thousand of them. The car/deer accident numbers are off the charts
> here. In the last 5 years, we have personally had 4 insurance claims
> for the same. One of them, the deer came through the windshield and
> put my son in the hospital.

For such timid creatures, they sure are dangerous. We have had two cars
seriously damaged within 100 yards of our house after colliding with deer.
Didn't do any good for the poor creatures either. There was one killed about
500 yards down the road the other day. I know two guys who have totalled
their cars while driving from her to Winnipeg through Michigan, one guy who
totalled two cars hitting deer in Florida, and a few years ago a friend was
seriously hurt in Virginia while he was driving his mother down to Florida.
The deer came right through the windshield and broke 6 of his teeth. I
spent a year and a half working on a highway crew and we used to pick up
dead deer almost every day.

I have come close to hitting a few deer myself. When travelling on country
roads at night I always use my high beams because you have a better chance
of spotting the glow in their eyes at a distance. Never relax when deer gets
off the road. They almost always travel in groups, so when one gets off the
road another is likely to follow it.

Moose are even more of a hazard than deer. They are about four times larger,
and when struck by a car they tend to fall ont he hood and then through the
windshield. One of the scariest driving experiences I ever had was driving
down an big hill and around a corner on a rainy road and spotted a bull
moose at the side of the road.

A friend of mine had a beautiful house on the side of a mountain on
Vancouver Island. He had a nice garden but the local deer population kept
eating all the flowers.

Well, as I said, Sheldon, or anyone else is entitled to their views,
whatever they may be.

I've personally seen unethical practices partaken by hunters, like
tresspassing with no regards for other's property, and once even seen a
family of 8 march through the woods 100' apart, walking through like
they were police on the search for a fugitive killer.

This family I speak of though were extremely poor at the time, so I do
understand their desperation in that they needed the food for
substinance, and not for bragging rights, or a Trophy Mount hanging on
their wall.
Mark

Mark wrote:

> Well, as I said, Sheldon, or anyone else is entitled to their views,
> whatever they may be.

Sheldon's reply to AlleyGator had exactly NOTHING to do with the ethics of
hunting. Sheldon simply mounts a personal attack on AlleyGator every chance
he gets, because Sheldon is a piece of ****.

Bob

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "AlleyGator" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Don't get me wrong - venison is OK. But now we've got one butchered
>> and in the freezer and I'm sure the first of December there will be
>> another one. As far as I'm concerned, you can take out the
>> tenderloin and throw the rest away. Cook it sliced up in bacon fat,
>> make a nice gravy with the fat, stock and cream - oh, yeah. Anyway,
>> it's become
>> so boring - deer steaks, deer burgers, deer chili, deer jerkey
>> (that's pretty good). I don't want to solicit hundreds of recipes,
>> and I've seen a few listed in game recipes on a couple of web sites
>> - but I'm
>> just curious if anyone has a venison recipe that is way out of the
>> ordinary - not part of the above list, or a stew or anything like
>> that. Something creative? Anyone?

> 1) Take whole dressed cuts and roasts of venison, plus the trimmed
> choicest offal, and wrap each piece individually in sterile muslin
> cloths, and leave refrigerated until excess surface moisture is no
> longer present - the meat should feel dry to the touch.
>

> 2) Unwrap each piece, then wrap once more but in /fresh/ pieces of
> muslin.
>

> 3) Place into a spotlessly clean, sturdy cardboard box or clean
> plywood case into which has been placed about a pound of *dried*
> salt, split 8 ways into small muslin wraps evenly distributed around
> the box/case, making certain there is no room for the meats to jostle.
>

> 4) Immediately Fed-Ex Overnite or similar the cased meats to me here
> in England.
>

> 5) Sit back with a large glass of something gorgeous and feel the
> immense and soul filling satisfaction that comes with gifting
> generously to someone appreciative.
>
> HTH ',;~}~
>

> Shaun aRe

Hear hear! Except it doesn't need to be shipped to England... the southern
US will do nicely. Just don't smoke the meat, I don't care for it that way
:)

Jill

Jill wrote about venison:

> Just don't smoke the meat, I don't care for it that way :)

Me neither, it takes me *hours* to get the bong cleaned out.

Bob

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Jill wrote about venison:
>
> > Just don't smoke the meat, I don't care for it that way :)

> Me neither, it takes me *hours* to get the bong cleaned out.
>
> Bob

<cough> Remind me not to be drinking when I read your posts. ;-)
Damned near choked to death!
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

Go to www.allrecipes.com or www.epicurious.com --both websites have
venison recipes.

Also, NRA website has a wild game cookbook.

[email protected] wrote:
> I hate venison and will not eat it. It's disgusting meat and should be
> fed to the dogs only. What really angers me is here in Wisconsin they
> have deer hunting during the week of, and on Thanksgiving day. So, I
> prepare a nice Thanksgiving dinner, all our friends come over and all
> the men leave to go hunting (except one guy that dont hunt). So, all
> I see of my husband on this holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out
> the door armed with a handful of guns and lots of beer.

Anyone who drinks and hunts should be shot. That's a deadly
combination and completely disrespectful to the wildlife, not to
mention the other hunters.
-L.

In article <[email protected]>,
"-L." <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:

> > I see of my husband on this holiday is a flash of blaze orange fly out
> > the door armed with a handful of guns and lots of beer.

> Anyone who drinks and hunts should be shot. That's a deadly
> combination and completely disrespectful to the wildlife, not to
> mention the other hunters.

There's nothing wrong with drinking and hunting. Just don't do them at
the same time.

:-(

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

"-L." <[email protected]> wrote:
>Anyone who drinks and hunts should be shot. That's a deadly
>combination and completely disrespectful to the wildlife, not to
>mention the other hunters.
>-L.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Guns and alcohol are a deadly
combination. Many years ago, when I was in college, a local "town"
friend used to take me hunting (oftentimes just "shooting" at targets
and such) on his dad's land which was a little over 600 acres. It was
fun and relaxing. Then I began to notice his behavior changeing, and
finally caught him pulling out a bottle of Jack Daniels and taking a
swig. That was it - I had no where else to go shoot, but I'll be
danged if I was going to hang around a drunk guy with a gun. Never
talked to him again. Actually, I did talk to him once and he tried to
apologize, but I value my life too much. I had no reason to believe
he would stop drinking. He showed up at the house I lived in drunk
and holding a bottle while my parents were visiting, for cryin out
loud. I think he was a confirmed alcoholic at age 20. Sad.

--
The Doc says my brain waves closely match those of a crazed ferret.
At least now I have an excuse.

I marinated the round steaks in Italion salad dressing overnight, then
bread the steaks, and brown in oil. Finish baking them with marinara
sauce with mozzarela cheese.

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 05:39:30 GMT, Rhonda Anderson wrote:

>I dunno. If, on what is supposed to be a family holiday (from everything
>I'm told), my husband and male _guests_ took off somewhere else, came
>home drunk, expected the food heated up for them, and complained that it
>took too long, _every_ year, I don't think I'd be any too happy either.
>
>Rhonda Anderson
>Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

If every year, the men go hunting,why does she prepare dinner at noon.
It would seem to me that after all these years, and discussions about
his hunting, she would learn to have dinner at 8 P.M.

And seeing as he is part of the "Family Holiday" he (and the other
hunters) should have a say in the timing of the day.

I think that this woman has a control problem. My EX wife had a
similar problem.