Oh no, not again!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just Zis Guy, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Sitting on the train this AM I looked at the frame of my
    Stinger and saw a large fatigue crack running about 1/4 of
    the way around the tube, just ahead of the headset - exactly
    where it failed last time (and in greatly fewer miles).

    "Disappointed" doesn't come close.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  2. >"Disappointed" doesn't come close.

    So what are you going to do?

    Cheers, helen s

    --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get
    correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune h*$el*$$e**-
    nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**[email protected]$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 08 Mar 2004 19:09:37 GMT, [email protected]
    (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >So what are you going to do?

    I have spoken with Darth Ian and we are taking the matter up
    with the directors at Optima. I have said that I am not
    prepared to accept another replacement frame, as two
    identical failures indicates unfitness for purpose.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  4. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> writes:
    > Sitting on the train this AM I looked at the frame of my
    > Stinger and

    I thought it was your bent that had this problem. You got
    *that* on a train, or have I got my wires crossed?

    > "Disappointed" doesn't come close.

    Upgrade! To, say, something on special offer at Tescos.

    IGMC.

    --
    Nick Kew

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? posted ...

    > Sitting on the train this AM I looked at the frame of
    > my Stinger and saw a large fatigue crack running about
    > 1/4 of the way around the tube, just ahead of the
    > headset - exactly where it failed last time (and in
    > greatly fewer miles).
    >
    > "Disappointed" doesn't come close.

    Hmmm .. not great news.

    I'd guess that they'll probably offer you (yet) another
    frame but if I were you, I'd seriously consider getting my
    money back and trying a different flavour .. 'Fit for
    purpose' is a great tool when applied correctly .. ;)

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

  6. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > On 08 Mar 2004 19:09:37 GMT, [email protected]
    > (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message <[email protected]
    > m22.aol.com>:
    >
    > >So what are you going to do?
    >
    > I have spoken with Darth Ian and we are taking the matter
    > up with the directors at Optima. I have said that I am not
    > prepared to accept another replacement frame, as two
    > identical failures indicates unfitness for purpose.

    I would be expecting a recall of all frames. there is
    clearly a design failure taht could prove lethal.

    What a shame. I feel for you.

    John B

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Sorry, didn't mean to echo what you just posted .. I replied
    before I had read the rest of the thread, with Helens'
    comments and your reply .. ;)

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 19:26:53 +0000, [email protected] (Nick Kew)
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >> Sitting on the train this AM I looked at the frame of my
    >> Stinger and

    >I thought it was your bent that had this problem. You got
    >*that* on a train, or have I got my wires crossed?

    Yes, I was taking the 'bent on the train.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  9. "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On 08 Mar 2004 19:09:37 GMT, [email protected]
    > (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message <[email protected]
    > m22.aol.com>:
    >
    > >So what are you going to do?
    >
    > I have spoken with Darth Ian and we are taking the matter
    > up with the directors at Optima. I have said that I am not
    > prepared to accept another replacement frame, as two
    > identical failures indicates unfitness for purpose.

    No no no, it means you are _too_ fit for the purpose of
    riding this bike ;-). It's obviously not up to the stresses
    you are able to put through it. It needs a more slightly
    built rider, like me, for instance. Not that I'm attracted
    to the Dark Side, mind, but if you like, when you've managed
    to sort out a replacement frame, I could take it off your
    hands for a modest (very modest, I'm afraid) sum... ;-).

    Rich

  10. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    > Sitting on the train this AM I looked at the frame of
    > my Stinger and saw a large fatigue crack running about
    > 1/4 of the way around the tube, just ahead of the
    > headset - exactly where it failed last time (and in
    > greatly fewer miles).
    >
    > "Disappointed" doesn't come close.
    >
    > --
    > Guy

    How many miles did it last?

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Sitting on the train this AM I looked at the frame of my
    > Stinger and saw a large fatigue crack running about 1/4 of
    > the way around the tube, just ahead of the headset -
    > exactly where it failed last time (and in greatly fewer
    > miles)....

    Does the Optima Stinger have the same gussets in this area
    that the second generation Baron has (after numerous
    failures at this point on the first generation)? I would ask
    Optima for a replacement frame that is reinforced in the
    main tube/head tube junction or a refund if that is not
    available.

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 01:04:17 GMT, "Mark Leuck" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]_s03>:

    >How many miles did it last?

    Under 1,000

    --
    Guy
    ===

  13. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 19:57:51 -0600, Tom Sherman
    <[email protected]>:

    >Does the Optima Stinger have the same gussets in this area
    >that the second generation Baron has

    No.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  14. > 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    > Washington University

    My local policestation has a nice feature - they trade
    "used" helmets in for new, and hang the smashed ones in the
    entrance hall. Enough statistic for
    me.

    Flame start..

    Torben

  15. Frobnitz

    Frobnitz Guest

    > Sitting on the train this AM I looked at the frame of
    > my Stinger and saw a large fatigue crack running about
    > 1/4 of the way around the tube, just ahead of the
    > headset - exactly where it failed last time (and in
    > greatly fewer miles).
    >
    > "Disappointed" doesn't come close.

    I really can't imagine your pain - if either of my bikes
    were taken away I'd be gutted.

    Hope you get it sorted with minimal screaming, shouting and
    quoting "Sale of Goods act 1979 (as amended)"

  16. McBain_v1

    McBain_v1 New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2004
    That sounds terrible stuff, especially if this is your second frame and the same fault has manifested itself. Have you received any explanation as to how this could come about?

  17. Blean of the first order, though part of me is wondering
    what you're doing to the poor beast! Cosimo -whose frame is
    a first generation no-reinforced model - has about 1500
    miles of racing on the clock and has so far not borken
    [grabs at colleague Rita's David Beckham poster as nearest
    available alternative to wood].

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  18. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 01:04:17 GMT, "Mark Leuck"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]_s03>:
    >
    > >How many miles did it last?
    >
    > Under 1,000

    That's appalling. I hope for your sake and theirs they
    manage to come up with a satisfactory offer. It's a very
    public failure in a rather limited marketplace after all.

    --
    Dave...

  19. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Torben Scheel wrote:

    > My local policestation has a nice feature - they trade
    > "used" helmets in for new, and hang the smashed ones in
    > the entrance hall. Enough statistic for
    > me.

    Maybe I should take mine round - I dropped it one day (from
    about 3 feet) and a chunk broke off. I've had better luck
    with eggs...

    James

  20. On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:09:31 +0100, Torben Scheel
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    >> Washington University
    >
    > My local policestation has a nice feature - they trade
    > "used" helmets in for new, and hang the smashed ones in
    > the entrance hall. Enough statistic for
    > me.
    >
    > Flame start..

    Okay. That's not a statistic it's a collection of
    broken helmets.

    Colin