Oh no! The adrenaline hypothesis

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Astarloa hit the deck on the penultimate lap.

    Tags:

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Astarloa hit the deck on the penultimate lap.

    Hah! It works. I happen to know he has been reading this NG and had said he would try it

  3. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Astarloa hit the deck on the penultimate lap.
    >
    > Hah! It works. I happen to know he has been reading this NG and had said
    he
    > would try it

    Well then - since I'm the one who came up with the hypothesis, Astarloa's victory makes up for my
    incorrect prediction regarding Van Moorsel-Zilgaard and the hour record.

    Andy ("never a candyass") Coggan

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Astarloa hit the deck on the penultimate lap.
    > >
    > > Hah! It works. I happen to know he has been reading this NG and had said
    > he
    > > would try it
    >
    > Well then - since I'm the one who came up with the hypothesis, Astarloa's victory makes up for my
    > incorrect prediction regarding Van
    Moorsel-Zilgaard
    > and the hour record.
    >
    > Andy ("never a candyass") Coggan

    I don't think so. When did you publish it?

  5. "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > Astarloa hit the deck on the penultimate lap.
    > >
    > > Hah! It works. I happen to know he has been reading this NG and had said
    > he
    > > would try it
    >
    > Well then - since I'm the one who came up with the hypothesis, Astarloa's victory makes up for my
    > incorrect prediction regarding Van Moorsel-Zilgaard and the hour record.
    >
    > Andy ("never a candyass") Coggan

    I thought Davis Phinney was the ultimate example of the Adrenaline Hypothesis.

  6. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > I thought Davis Phinney was the ultimate example of the Adrenaline
    Hypothesis.

    He did lots of crashing and winning, but I do not recall it happening in the same races.

  7. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Hah! It works. I happen to know he has been reading this NG and had
    said
    > > he
    > > > would try it
    > >
    > > Well then - since I'm the one who came up with the hypothesis,
    Astarloa's
    > > victory makes up for my incorrect prediction regarding Van
    > Moorsel-Zilgaard
    > > and the hour record.
    > >
    > > Andy ("never a candyass") Coggan
    > >

    > I don't think so. When did you publish it?

    The Adrenaline Hypothesis? I postulated it in the thread on Van Moorsel-Zilgaard's new record, to
    explain why she did what I'd predicted she couldn't do.

    Andy Coggan

  8. "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > said
    > > > he
    > > >
    > > > Well then - since I'm the one who came up with the hypothesis,
    > Astarloa's
    > > > victory makes up for my incorrect prediction regarding Van
    > > Moorsel-Zilgaard
    > > > and the hour record.
    > > >
    > > > Andy ("never a candyass") Coggan
    > > >

    > > I don't think so. When did you publish it?
    >
    > The Adrenaline Hypothesis? I postulated it in the thread on Van Moorsel-Zilgaard's new record, to
    > explain why she did what I'd predicted
    she
    > couldn't do.

    Dumbass -

    Nick Burns did an earlier one that related to intentionally throwing oneself down on the ground to
    gain an advantage (Armstrong at (Luz Ardiden, I believe))

    One of the more ridiculous theories I've heard, even for rbr.

  9. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > > > I don't think so. When did you publish it?
    > >
    > > The Adrenaline Hypothesis? I postulated it in the thread on Van Moorsel-Zilgaard's new record,
    > > to explain why she did what I'd predicted
    > she
    > > couldn't do.
    >

    > Dumbass -
    >
    > Nick Burns did an earlier one that related to intentionally throwing
    oneself
    > down on the ground to gain an advantage (Armstrong at (Luz Ardiden, I believe))
    >
    > One of the more ridiculous theories I've heard, even for rbr.

    That is correct.

  10. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns

    > > > The Adrenaline Hypothesis? I postulated it in the thread on Van Moorsel-Zilgaard's new record,
    > > > to explain why she did what I'd predicted
    > > she
    > > > couldn't do.
    > >

    > > Dumbass -
    > >
    > > Nick Burns did an earlier one that related to intentionally throwing
    > oneself
    > > down on the ground to gain an advantage (Armstrong at (Luz Ardiden, I believe))
    > >
    > > One of the more ridiculous theories I've heard, even for rbr.
    >
    > That is correct.

    Really? What makes your heart beat fast and your senses sharp? What makes you do things you might
    not otherwise do, like lift a car off a person, or win a bike race? Does your heart rate increase
    when you hear the bell with one lap to go?

    There was a fairly successful downhill ski racer on the US team a few years ago that liked to leave
    her warmup clothes on until the very last second before her starts just so she could induce a a bit
    of panic trying to get herself ready in time for her start.

    -WG

  11. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:121020032241099879%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    predicted
    > > > she
    > > >

    > > > Dumbass -
    > > >
    > > > Nick Burns did an earlier one that related to intentionally throwing
    > > oneself
    > > > down on the ground to gain an advantage (Armstrong at (Luz Ardiden, I believe))
    > > >
    > > > One of the more ridiculous theories I've heard, even for rbr.
    > >
    > > That is correct.
    >
    > Really? What makes your heart beat fast and your senses sharp? What makes you do things you might
    > not otherwise do, like lift a car off a person, or win a bike race? Does your heart rate increase
    > when you hear the bell with one lap to go?
    >
    > There was a fairly successful downhill ski racer on the US team a few years ago that liked to
    > leave her warmup clothes on until the very last second before her starts just so she could induce
    > a a bit of panic trying to get herself ready in time for her start.
    >
    > -WG

    Tell Henry. I said "that is correct" about his attribution to me.

  12. warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<121020032241099879%[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns
    > <[email protected]> wrote:

    > she
    > > >

    > > > Dumbass -
    > > >
    > > > Nick Burns did an earlier one that related to intentionally throwing
    > oneself
    > > > down on the ground to gain an advantage (Armstrong at (Luz Ardiden, I believe))
    > > >
    > > > One of the more ridiculous theories I've heard, even for rbr.
    > >
    > > That is correct.
    >
    > Really? What makes your heart beat fast and your senses sharp? What makes you do things you might
    > not otherwise do, like lift a car off a person, or win a bike race? Does your heart rate increase
    > when you hear the bell with one lap to go?
    >
    > There was a fairly successful downhill ski racer on the US team a few years ago that liked to
    > leave her warmup clothes on until the very last second before her starts just so she could induce
    > a a bit of panic trying to get herself ready in time for her start.

    Very interesting...

    I'm a pianist, and I've been performing so long (14 of my 20 years) that I no longer get nervous,
    and the performances suffer as a result. I might be able to use this theory to my advantage...

    -Sonarrat.

  13. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Sonarrat Citalis
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm a pianist, and I've been performing so long (14 of my 20 years) that I no longer get nervous,
    > and the performances suffer as a result. I might be able to use this theory to my advantage...

    Have someone turn the key on middle C right before you go on.

  14. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Sonarrat Citalis wrote: .

    > Very interesting...
    >
    > I'm a pianist, and I've been performing so long (14 of my 20 years) that I no longer get nervous,
    > and the performances suffer as a result. I might be able to use this theory to my advantage...
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    Very odd considering that many pro musicians take beta-blockers for the opposite reason.

  15. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:121020032241099879%[email protected]...

    > Really? What makes your heart beat fast and your senses sharp? What makes you do things you might
    > not otherwise do, like lift a car off a person, or win a bike race? Does your heart rate increase
    > when you hear the bell with one lap to go?
    >
    > There was a fairly successful downhill ski racer on the US team a few years ago that liked to
    > leave her warmup clothes on until the very last second before her starts just so she could induce
    > a a bit of panic trying to get herself ready in time for her start.

    Interesting, although I doubt many athletes would do it deliberately. Astarloa was impressive in
    getting back to the front so quickly after his crash.

    Anecdotally, some of the best races I've had were ones where something has gone wrong before the
    start, e.g. a puncture 5 mins before start time, or merely running late. Running late seems to be
    the best one for me. I get plenty of practice whenever I try to meet the Schelde bunch in the
    morning, because no matter what I end up being a couple of minutes late. It's good though because
    they go a bit too slowly on the outward leg (and it's bad form to attack then), so I can go at my
    own pace, catch them just before the end then be nicely warmed up for the "race" back to Gent.

    Jeff

  16. "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Anecdotally, some of the best races I've had were ones where something has gone wrong before
    > the start,

    <snip>

    Dumbass -

    Perhaps you should try out Mr. Burns' brilliant hypothesis then:

    Throw yourself onto the ground at the end of warm-up.

  17. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Anecdotally, some of the best races I've had were ones where something has gone wrong before
    >> the start,
    >

    > <snip>
    >

    > Dumbass -
    >

    > Perhaps you should try out Mr. Burns' brilliant hypothesis then:
    >

    > Throw yourself onto the ground at the end of warm-up.

    Come on Henry, you know that won't work. You have to hire a member of your crew to surprise you at
    a strategic point in the race and knock you on your ass. Make sure the team car has the spare
    ready too.

  18. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    > > > The Adrenaline Hypothesis? I postulated it in the thread on Van Moorsel-Zilgaard's new record,
    > > > to explain why she did what I'd
    predicted
    > > she
    > > > couldn't do.

    > > Dumbass -
    > >
    > > Nick Burns did an earlier one that related to intentionally throwing
    > oneself
    > > down on the ground to gain an advantage (Armstrong at (Luz Ardiden, I believe))
    > >
    > > One of the more ridiculous theories I've heard, even for rbr.
    >
    > That is correct.

    Ah. Well, to paraphrase the great John Holloszy: I can either read r.b.r., or I can write r.b.r.,
    but I can't be expected to do both.

    Chris' prior postulation of "The Adrenaline Hypothesis" will be acknowledged in my final paper with
    a Note Added In Proof.

    Andy Coggan

  19. "Andy Coggan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Astarloa hit the deck on the penultimate lap.
    > >
    > > Hah! It works. I happen to know he has been reading this NG and had said
    > he
    > > would try it
    >
    > Well then - since I'm the one who came up with the hypothesis, Astarloa's victory makes up for my
    > incorrect prediction regarding Van
    Moorsel-Zilgaard
    > and the hour record.
    >
    > Andy ("never a candyass") Coggan

    Does this finally explain Jan's crash in the ITT at the TdF ?

    -T

  20. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    > Perhaps you should try out Mr. Burns' brilliant hypothesis then:
    >
    > Throw yourself onto the ground at the end of warm-up.

    I think this hypothesis needs a bit of reworking before people will be willing to volunteer as
    study subjects.

    I'm going to stick with my "running late" version. I'll let you know how many races I win.

    Jeff (this'll work out cheaper than the altitude tent)