Oh no! The adrenaline hypothesis

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. My completely unscientific observation is that stress brings better performance. My best result in
    years was two summers ago after having an argument with my wife rushing out the door late for a crit
    showing up about 40 minutes prior to the start without being pre-reg then finding out I'd left my
    jersey out of my race bag. My wife grudgingly brought it to me minutes before the start. I won two
    primes, solo bridged up to the winning break and took home third.

    This year after having a very stressful work week I had a Sunday afternoon race near my office I
    was at work for a few hours prior trying to complete a difficult project. I left with time to
    arrive and halfway there realized I'd made an error on the email I'd just sent. Rushed back to the
    office, fixed it and again got to the race about 30 min prior. 10 min warm-up stressed as hell and
    raced great.

    Few weeks ago, my daughter had a very bad Saturday morning. Major attitude to her parents and we had
    a major confrontation almost not letting her play that day. She went out and scored two goals in the
    first half - and she's not usually an offensive power.

    Use your stress wisely.

    Mark VandenBerghe

    "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Perhaps you should try out Mr. Burns' brilliant hypothesis then:
    > >
    > > Throw yourself onto the ground at the end of warm-up.
    > >
    > I think this hypothesis needs a bit of reworking before people will be willing to volunteer as
    > study subjects.
    >
    > I'm going to stick with my "running late" version. I'll let you know how many races I win.
    >
    > Jeff (this'll work out cheaper than the altitude tent)

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My completely unscientific observation is that stress brings better performance. My best result in
    > years was two summers ago after having an argument with my wife rushing out the door late for a
    > crit showing up
    about
    > 40 minutes prior to the start without being pre-reg then finding out I'd left my jersey out of my
    > race bag. My wife grudgingly brought it to me minutes before the start. I won two primes, solo
    > bridged up to the
    winning
    > break and took home third.
    >
    > This year after having a very stressful work week I had a Sunday afternoon race near my office I
    > was at work for a few hours prior trying to complete
    > difficult project. I left with time to arrive and halfway there realized I'd made an error on the
    > email I'd just sent. Rushed back to the office, fixed it and again got to the race about 30 min
    > prior. 10 min warm-up stressed as hell and raced great.
    >
    > Few weeks ago, my daughter had a very bad Saturday morning. Major
    attitude
    > to her parents and we had a major confrontation almost not letting her
    play
    > that day. She went out and scored two goals in the first half - and she's not usually an
    > offensive power.
    >
    > Use your stress wisely.
    >
    > Mark VandenBerghe
    >

    > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Perhaps you should try out Mr. Burns' brilliant hypothesis then:
    > > >
    > > > Throw yourself onto the ground at the end of warm-up.
    > > >
    > > I think this hypothesis needs a bit of reworking before people will be willing to volunteer as
    > > study subjects.
    > >
    > > I'm going to stick with my "running late" version. I'll let you know how many races I win.
    > >
    > > Jeff (this'll work out cheaper than the altitude tent)

  3. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Mark VandenBerghe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My completely unscientific observation is that stress brings better performance.

    Nobody believes me. I am selling a service where I will call you up on your hands-free cellular
    during the closing kilometers if a race and I will tell you an authentic story to scare the crap out
    of you and guarantee your best possible result.

    Either that or pop some (bio-equivalent) deer adrenaline. Available as a beverage supplement or fast
    acting sub-lingual tablets.

  4. Donald Munro

    Donald Munro Guest

    Jeff Jones wrote:
    > Running late seems to be the best one for me. I get plenty of practice whenever I try to meet the
    > Schelde bunch in the morning, because no matter what I end up being a couple of minutes late. It's
    > good though because they go a bit too slowly on the outward leg (and it's bad form to attack
    > then), so I can go at my own pace, catch them just before the end then be nicely warmed up for the
    > "race" back to Gent.

    Does all this extra adrenaline mean you win almost as many training rides as the late lamented
    ronde champ ?

  5. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Donald Munro" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > Jeff Jones wrote:
    > > Running late seems to be the best one for me. I get plenty of practice whenever I try to meet
    > > the Schelde bunch in the
    morning,
    > > because no matter what I end up being a couple of minutes late. It's
    good
    > > though because they go a bit too slowly on the outward leg (and it's bad form to attack then),
    > > so I can go at my own pace, catch them just before
    the
    > > end then be nicely warmed up for the "race" back to Gent.
    >
    > Does all this extra adrenaline mean you win almost as many training rides as the late lamented
    > ronde champ ?

    Of course - I learned a lot from his teachings. 19 "canal sprints" this season as of today, but
    nowhere near a real race victory :) The fact I keep track of this is disquieting. Actually Wouter
    Weylandt is the king of the Schelde. He even puts his arms up when he wins. It's all in good fun,
    believe me.

    cheers, Jeff

  6. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:16:09 +1000, "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Actually Wouter Weylandt is the king of the Schelde. He even puts his arms up when he wins.

    Cool. Tell him he should call himself "Philly Drives Ride Champ" like the good riders in the US do.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  7. "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Of course - I learned a lot from his teachings. 19 "canal sprints" this season as of today, but
    > nowhere near a real race victory :) The fact I
    keep
    > track of this is disquieting. Actually Wouter Weylandt is the king of the Schelde. He even puts
    > his arms up when he wins.

    Dumbass -

    Damn. Belgium has Masters Fatties too.

    This is more evidence of the corrupting influence of American culture. It must be the soap operas.

  8. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    > "Jeff Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Of course - I learned a lot from his teachings. 19 "canal sprints" this season as of today, but
    > > nowhere near a real race victory :) The fact I
    > keep
    > > track of this is disquieting. Actually Wouter Weylandt is the king of
    the
    > > Schelde. He even puts his arms up when he wins.
    >
    > Dumbass -
    >
    > Damn. Belgium has Masters Fatties too.

    I won't argue with that, but Wouter's actually an U23 rider:

    http://search.cyclingnews.com/cgi-bin/htsearch?restrict=;exclude=;config=htd
    ig;method=and;format=builtin-long;words=wouter%20weylandt;page=1

    hmm, just spotted something that needs fixing...

    Jeff

  9. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Mark VandenBerghe wrote:
    > My completely unscientific observation is that stress brings better performance. My best result in
    > years was two summers ago after having an argument with my wife rushing out the door late for a
    > crit showing up about 40 minutes prior to the start without being pre-reg then finding out I'd
    > left my jersey out of my race bag. My wife grudgingly brought it to me minutes before the start. I
    > won two primes, solo bridged up to the winning break and took home third.

    The only time I have ever lapped the field (doing 80% of the work with one other rider) I had
    to chase for 5 laps to catch back on following a crash. Put another half a lap on them before
    the finish.