Oh no, vasectomy time!

ghostpedal

Jul 26, 2004
Well, I'm about to have a vasectomy. My main concern is how it is going to effect my cycling and training. Hardly anyone I talk to understands why I would be worried about cycling, but hey, it's who I am. I work hard on my training and am somewhat concerned about the effect of the vasectomy. Anyone have any comments, suggestions, warnings, good news?

Hi

I am under pressure from the missus on the vasectomy front and will probably be joining you soon. Will be interested to hear responses to your questions.

Can't offer any help at the moment but I can offer sympathy as I know I will have the same concerns!:eek: :eek:

Oh boy, are you guys going to hurt! You can forget about riding the bike for a while.

When I had mine they stuck several needles into the area with novacain or something to numb up the area. Then they punctured the scrotum with something like a hole punch that you would use in an office to turn regular paper into notebook paper. Then it got worse. They used something that looked very much like an extra large sewing needle to pull the vasdeferens out of their former home and burned the ends so that approximately 6 inches was removed so they couldn't grow back together. It was a quick procedure and is considered outpatient. And there is absolutely no dignity in having two complete strangers (Dr. & nurse) ripping out your fully exposed reproductive system. No dignity at all.

My right testicle seemed to do fine most of the time. However, my left testicle felt like I had racked myself on a bicycle bar for 3 weeks and had all of the accompanying nausea to go with it. I was squeamish for about 6 months and had to be very careful about sitting down too fast so that I wouldn't injur the boys.

Everybody heals up differently but there is no way I could have ridden a bike for at least a month. Wouldn't have even tried. Enjoy!

darrenf said:
Hi

I am under pressure from the missus on the vasectomy front and will probably be joining you soon. Will be interested to hear responses to your questions.

Can't offer any help at the moment but I can offer sympathy as I know I will have the same concerns!:eek: :eek:
OUCH! Me too...(I am currently crossing my legs.)

You guys are making me feel sore already! I know I was dreaming, but I wanted a reply like "oh, don't worry about it, you'll barely feel it and be back on the bike in two or three days". No such luck, huh? I guess I'll overtrain before the procedure so I can use that time to rest and recover.

Plan on a week out of the saddle and the next week as a tentative light week. Also talk to your doc about the procedure and pain mitigation.

I had a local with sedative but fell asleep minutes after being on the table. I took Perc for a day and a half and then a few days of OTC meds. The "squeeze" faded away and in ten days I didn't even notice. I may have been the lucky one.

One bit of advice, don't complain or expect sympaty from your wife. It ain't gonna happen.

It took me about two weeks to feel comfortable enough in the saddle to ride again. No riding at all the first week post-op. By three-four weeks, it was a total non-issue. YMMV.

If you are in a committed relationship, and either don't want children, or have had all you're going to have, a vasectomy the best thing you can do. Its a hell of lot easier than the female equivalent (tubal ligation), and doesn't carry the long-term health risks associated with the Pill.
Bonus: Sex becomes a hell of a lot more spontaneous when you (or more importantly, your wife and/or girlfriend), are not worried about procreating.

Bonus: Sex becomes a hell of a lot more spontaneous when you (or more importantly, your wife and/or girlfriend), are not worried about procreating.
At last. An upside:D

gjmalcyon said:
Nothing kills spontanaety like being out of condoms :D

I will be riding down the v-trail soon as well...

darrenf said:
At last. An upside:D
Um...yeah. As long as you have some restraint and aren't spontaneous with the wrong person.

Otherwise it's like giving a child a loaded weapon....so to speak. :p

Had mine snipped at the end of September. Wasn't to bad, actually had quite a blast in theatre. The injections in the scrotum are the worst after that it's the humiliation factor that takes priority but it is a personal issue and depends on you.
I was lying on the table "observing" the procedure when the doctor got an emergency call from the ward regarding an earlier patient that was having an allergic reaction in the ward. He told the ward that he would call someone to go and have a look. He asked the theatre sister to look up the doctors' number on his mobile/cell, but the old sister didn’t know how to "operate" (excuse the pun) his fancy phone and there was no-one else around so I took the phone looked up the number and called the other doctor. The sister has in the meantime left the theatre to go and fetch something so there we were; the doctor cutting, burning away at my b*#s; the sister assisting him down there (both scrubbed up and sterile); and me lying there watching what the doctor is doing holding his cell phone against his ear so that he can speak to his colleague. It was quite a sight to see. :D
Back to the thread, I was uncomfortable for a couple of days and felt ready to go riding again about 10 days after the procedure but didn't want to take a chance so started riding again after 3 weeks. I took it very easy for a week and gradually worked up the intensity, it is now 5 weeks and I'm riding as I did before. Just take it easy in the when you start again.

OK, I went for my consultation yesterday afternoon. I talked to the doctor about my concerns with cycling, and he said he has had many cyclists back on their bike within 3-4 days. I was skeptical, but then he explained that I would have to wear a jock under my bike shorts, and stay out of an aero tuck, but it really shouldn't be much of a problem. He said the incisions are small and well away from the area that makes contact with a bike saddle. While in no way was this guy a cycling expert, but my questions were answered quickly and confidently. While I am still leery about time off, I am definitely going to have it done (Nov 12). I will post back with results (no, not the graphic ones, just the cycling related ones). Wish me luck!

Lazy legs said:
Had mine snipped at the end of September. Wasn't to bad, actually had quite a blast in theatre. The injections in the scrotum are the worst after that it's the humiliation factor that takes priority but it is a personal issue and depends on you.
I was lying on the table "observing" the procedure when the doctor got an emergency call from the ward regarding an earlier patient that was having an allergic reaction in the ward. He told the ward that he would call someone to go and have a look. He asked the theatre sister to look up the doctors' number on his mobile/cell, but the old sister didn’t know how to "operate" (excuse the pun) his fancy phone and there was no-one else around so I took the phone looked up the number and called the other doctor. The sister has in the meantime left the theatre to go and fetch something so there we were; the doctor cutting, burning away at my b*#s; the sister assisting him down there (both scrubbed up and sterile); and me lying there watching what the doctor is doing holding his cell phone against his ear so that he can speak to his colleague. It was quite a sight to see. :D
Back to the thread, I was uncomfortable for a couple of days and felt ready to go riding again about 10 days after the procedure but didn't want to take a chance so started riding again after 3 weeks. I took it very easy for a week and gradually worked up the intensity, it is now 5 weeks and I'm riding as I did before. Just take it easy in the when you start again.
INJECTIONS IN THE WHAT????!!!!BURNING THE WHAT?????!!!!:eek:

mommy.....:(

My girlfriend cooked a lavish meal for me and then ghoulishly raised this theme about vasectomies and how men should bear some responsibility on that front. Well, she had no chance persuading me in that direction. I think the old "coitus interruptus" is prefectly O.K. once you get into the swing of things.

ghostpedal said:
Well, I'm about to have a vasectomy. My main concern is how it is going to effect my cycling and training. Hardly anyone I talk to understands why I would be worried about cycling, but hey, it's who I am. I work hard on my training and am somewhat concerned about the effect of the vasectomy. Anyone have any comments, suggestions, warnings, good news?

Doctor Morbius said:
My right testicle seemed to do fine most of the time. However, my left testicle felt like I had racked myself on a bicycle bar for 3 weeks and had all of the accompanying nausea to go with it. I was squeamish for about 6 months and had to be very careful about sitting down too fast so that I wouldn't injur the boys.

I think I am gonna be sick. it reminds me of when I pinched my nipple between these two boxes while a customer was talking to me. I think I turned green. it made me sick to my guts for a week and a month after was bad.

Doctor Morbius said:
Oh boy, are you guys going to hurt! You can forget about riding the bike for a while.

I think i feel i'll, im sending your mail to the missus, also been under pressure to get the snip.
I've had my share of operations, but that sounded brutal, all i know is if your gonna play with my 'gonads' and it's not for pleasure you better be making sure im asleep.

I've suddenly become the king of procrastination.

D :eek:

DarrylZ said:
I think i feel i'll, im sending your mail to the missus, also been under pressure to get the snip.
I've had my share of operations, but that sounded brutal, all i know is if your gonna play with my 'gonads' and it's not for pleasure you better be making sure im asleep.

I've suddenly become the king of procrastination.

D :eek:

Don't be such a sissy, look at your own signature on your posts, looks like you prefer to b hurtin'. :D