Oh Nooo!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mette, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Mette

    Mette Guest

    Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
    first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain wasn't
    as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-25) I was
    biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking weight was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I
    even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every day, but since I had been so
    good, I just needed to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred
    grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...

    Mette
    117/119/108

    Tags:

  2. Petal

    Petal Guest

    Hi Mette,

    You mentioned that you know not to weigh yourself every day, so don't worry too much about this
    "gain". I can weigh myself right now, eat breakfast, wait two hours, and weigh myself again and I
    can guarantee that the scale will tell me that I'm two pounds heavier. So did I gain 2 lbs. by
    eating breakfast? Will those 2 lbs. still be there when I weigh myself on my "official" weigh in day
    next week if I stick to my points? Of course not. :)

    Your weight fluctuates on a daily (even hourly, sometimes) basis for a million different reasons.
    Maybe you gained a bit of water (due to anything from salt in your diet to muscles retaining water
    after a good workout). Regardless, don't let it discourage you and try not to weigh yourself more
    than once a week. As you've learned, it can't be very misleading and definitely not encouraging!
    Average out your weight loss over a longer period of time (it always seems more positive to me to
    think that I've lost 1 lb./week for a month rather than lost 2 lbs. week one, gained 1 lb. week two
    etc.). A gain this week might be compensated by a loss next week, and so on. Also, take your
    measurements once a month. It's amazing how sometimes the scale doesn't move but the inches are
    still coming off (especially when you're exercising on a regular basis).

    Cheers, Petal

    "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
    > first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
    > wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
    > 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking
    weight
    > was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every
    > day, but since I had been so good, I just
    needed
    > to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred

    > grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
    >

    > Mette
    > 117/119/108

  3. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    LOL! Sorry Mette, don't mean to laugh, but you seem to know where you went wrong anyway ... get off
    that stinkin' scale! <G> Yup, don't weigh in every day, unless you can emotionally handle whatever
    will be thrown in your direction. It took me a LONG time before I could do that. My guess is that
    the 2 pounds is water. If you ate *whatever* on new years day, it may not show up on the scale
    immediately. I hate to say how many times I have heard (and had it happen to me) people say they ate
    cake, cookies, chips, binged, etc. and lost weight during the week ... then were surpised the
    following week when the scales moved up. Weight gain and loss happens over time - scales may not
    show immediate results of those indescretions, and bingeing results can take a few weeks to show
    true scale results.

    Just hang in there and continue on with your good days - results will show, but give it some time.
    In the meantime ... step away from the scale. <G> If you don't think you can stay off the scale, you
    might consider moving it to an inconvenient location where it won't call out your name so loudly.
    Mine went into the basement ... out of my line of vision.

    Joyce WW starting weight: 228.8 - 2/5/02 current weight: 129.4 total loss: 99.4 Lifetime: 4/4/03

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:14:50 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
    >first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain wasn't
    >as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-25) I
    >was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking weight was UP TWO POUNDS!
    >What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every day, but since I
    >had been so good, I just needed to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few
    >hundred grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
    >

    >Mette
    >117/119/108

  4. hang in there, the exercise may have caused you to retain water, and as for
    weighing, it is only bad if you let it upset you. If you can use it as a
    tool to help then there is nothing wrong with it, good luck, Lee
    Mette <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
    > first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
    > wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
    > 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking
    weight
    > was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every
    > day, but since I had been so good, I just
    needed
    > to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred grams...downwards. I
    > did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
    >

    > Mette
    > 117/119/108

  5. Connie Walsh

    Connie Walsh Guest

    Mette wrote:
    > Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
    > first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
    > wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
    > 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking weight was UP TWO
    > POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every day, but
    > since I had been so good, I just needed to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at
    > least a few hundred grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
    >

    > Mette
    > 117/119/108

    Keep working at it, Keep drinking your water and by the end of the week you should see things moving
    in the correct direction. Steady.

    Connie

    --

    Cheers,

    Connie Walsh

    241.5/210.5/155 RAFL 218/210.5/198.5

  6. Limeyno1

    Limeyno1 Guest

    Me too! I'm up a few points, but not bad. And I'm back on track. So will you!

    "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
    > first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
    > wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
    > 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking
    weight
    > was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every
    > day, but since I had been so good, I just
    needed
    > to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred grams...downwards. I
    > did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
    >

    > Mette
    > 117/119/108

  7. Kristin

    Kristin Guest

    Aww shoot, Mette.. I'm sorry for your gain. Better luck next week! :)

    --

    ~Kristin O~
    272/242.6/172

    Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
    http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

    "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
    > first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
    > wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
    > 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking
    weight
    > was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every
    > day, but since I had been so good, I just
    needed
    > to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred grams...downwards. I
    > did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
    >

    > Mette
    > 117/119/108

  8. Erin Marsh

    Erin Marsh Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:14:50 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
    >first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain wasn't
    >as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-25) I
    >was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking weight was UP TWO POUNDS!
    >What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every day, but since I
    >had been so good, I just needed to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few
    >hundred grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...

    It could be the exercise you did is causing your muscles to retain water. Keep eating well,
    exercising and drink enough water and I'm sure you'll see a much nicer number at your next
    weigh-in :)

    --
    Erin in NZ
    125/90/75 kgs

    RafL goal 180.6lbs (82 kilos)

    "It is not the mountain we conquer, it is ourselves" Sir Edmund Hilary

  9. Probably water due to eating too much salt. It'll be gone soon.
    --
    Brenda
    209/176/150 NYNY goal 160

    "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
    > first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
    > wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
    > 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking
    weight
    > was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every
    > day, but since I had been so good, I just
    needed
    > to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred grams...downwards. I
    > did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
    >

    > Mette
    > 117/119/108

  10. It took me decades to realize that weight fluctuations are absolutely, totally normal. Sometimes
    after a day like you've described, my scale will show a drop in weight. Sometimes, my scale will
    spike. There are just so many variables, some of which are out of our awareness and some of which
    are out of our control. Physiology is part science, part mystery. Keeping your focus on your goals
    and your overall progress will help you get past the frustration of a single disappointing WI.

    Prairie Roots