Oh Nooo!

Mette

Guest
Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain wasn't
as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-25) I was
biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking weight was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I
even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every day, but since I had been so
good, I just needed to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred
grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...

Mette
117/119/108

Hi Mette,

You mentioned that you know not to weigh yourself every day, so don't worry too much about this
"gain". I can weigh myself right now, eat breakfast, wait two hours, and weigh myself again and I
can guarantee that the scale will tell me that I'm two pounds heavier. So did I gain 2 lbs. by
eating breakfast? Will those 2 lbs. still be there when I weigh myself on my "official" weigh in day
next week if I stick to my points? Of course not. :)

Your weight fluctuates on a daily (even hourly, sometimes) basis for a million different reasons.
Maybe you gained a bit of water (due to anything from salt in your diet to muscles retaining water
after a good workout). Regardless, don't let it discourage you and try not to weigh yourself more
than once a week. As you've learned, it can't be very misleading and definitely not encouraging!
Average out your weight loss over a longer period of time (it always seems more positive to me to
think that I've lost 1 lb./week for a month rather than lost 2 lbs. week one, gained 1 lb. week two
etc.). A gain this week might be compensated by a loss next week, and so on. Also, take your
measurements once a month. It's amazing how sometimes the scale doesn't move but the inches are
still coming off (especially when you're exercising on a regular basis).

Cheers, Petal

"Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
> first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
> wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
> 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking
weight
> was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every
> day, but since I had been so good, I just
needed
> to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred

> grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
>

> Mette
> 117/119/108

LOL! Sorry Mette, don't mean to laugh, but you seem to know where you went wrong anyway ... get off
that stinkin' scale! <G> Yup, don't weigh in every day, unless you can emotionally handle whatever
will be thrown in your direction. It took me a LONG time before I could do that. My guess is that
the 2 pounds is water. If you ate *whatever* on new years day, it may not show up on the scale
immediately. I hate to say how many times I have heard (and had it happen to me) people say they ate
cake, cookies, chips, binged, etc. and lost weight during the week ... then were surpised the
following week when the scales moved up. Weight gain and loss happens over time - scales may not
show immediate results of those indescretions, and bingeing results can take a few weeks to show
true scale results.

Just hang in there and continue on with your good days - results will show, but give it some time.
In the meantime ... step away from the scale. <G> If you don't think you can stay off the scale, you
might consider moving it to an inconvenient location where it won't call out your name so loudly.
Mine went into the basement ... out of my line of vision.

Joyce WW starting weight: 228.8 - 2/5/02 current weight: 129.4 total loss: 99.4 Lifetime: 4/4/03

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:14:50 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
>first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain wasn't
>as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-25) I
>was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking weight was UP TWO POUNDS!
>What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every day, but since I
>had been so good, I just needed to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few
>hundred grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
>

>Mette
>117/119/108

hang in there, the exercise may have caused you to retain water, and as for
weighing, it is only bad if you let it upset you. If you can use it as a
tool to help then there is nothing wrong with it, good luck, Lee

Mette wrote:
> Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
> first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
> wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
> 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking weight was UP TWO
> POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every day, but
> since I had been so good, I just needed to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at
> least a few hundred grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
>

> Mette
> 117/119/108

Keep working at it, Keep drinking your water and by the end of the week you should see things moving
in the correct direction. Steady.

Connie

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/210.5/155 RAFL 218/210.5/198.5

Me too! I'm up a few points, but not bad. And I'm back on track. So will you!

"Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
> first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
> wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
> 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking
weight
> was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every
> day, but since I had been so good, I just
needed
> to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred grams...downwards. I
> did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
>

> Mette
> 117/119/108

Aww shoot, Mette.. I'm sorry for your gain. Better luck next week! :)

--

~Kristin O~
272/242.6/172

Here's our FAQ: http://www.didian.com/asdww/ and welcome notice:
http://www.geocities.com/welcomenotice/index.html

"Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
> first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
> wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
> 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking
weight
> was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every
> day, but since I had been so good, I just
needed
> to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred grams...downwards. I
> did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
>

> Mette
> 117/119/108

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:14:50 +0100, "Mette" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
>first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain wasn't
>as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-25) I
>was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking weight was UP TWO POUNDS!
>What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every day, but since I
>had been so good, I just needed to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few
>hundred grams...downwards. I did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...

It could be the exercise you did is causing your muscles to retain water. Keep eating well,
exercising and drink enough water and I'm sure you'll see a much nicer number at your next
weigh-in :)

--
Erin in NZ
125/90/75 kgs

RafL goal 180.6lbs (82 kilos)

"It is not the mountain we conquer, it is ourselves" Sir Edmund Hilary

Probably water due to eating too much salt. It'll be gone soon.
--
Brenda
209/176/150 NYNY goal 160

"Mette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well, the day after NYE I ate chips, candy and whatever to clean out the kitchen. Friday was my
> first weigh in day and it looked pretty good, all things into consideration - my weight gain
> wasn't as bad as I thought at least. So Friday I did my points at 19 points total (my range is 18-
> 25) I was biking for 20 minutes and really doing nicely. Today my freaking
weight
> was UP TWO POUNDS! What? I even felt thinner when I woke up! I know, I know - don't weigh in every
> day, but since I had been so good, I just
needed
> to see some movement right away (as I usually do) - at least a few hundred grams...downwards. I
> did see movement, but a real bummer - sigh...
>

> Mette
> 117/119/108

It took me decades to realize that weight fluctuations are absolutely, totally normal. Sometimes
after a day like you've described, my scale will show a drop in weight. Sometimes, my scale will
spike. There are just so many variables, some of which are out of our awareness and some of which
are out of our control. Physiology is part science, part mystery. Keeping your focus on your goals
and your overall progress will help you get past the frustration of a single disappointing WI.

Prairie Roots