Oh what a ride!, and a Tour of Wessex question

krys

Guest
Hi guys....just had to share :) as today I had the most, most, most amazing
ride.

After days of good weather when I was handicapped by half term and children,
when cyclists seen passing made me yearn to be out there, with both envy and
jealousy, this afternoon I finally managed so to be.

The weather was perfect. Winter sun, blue sky from horizon to horizon, and
no wind to speak of. That odd quality of afternoon light that gives a
crystal clarity to everything. Fresh, but thanks to Aldi's cheap yet
perfectly functional kit I was toasty enough. First try out for the new
winter gloves and socks, which worked out fine (with the trews and jacket
already worn in!). Practically no traffic too - evidenced by the fact that
I actually didn't have to uncleat to cross the A38 at Rooksbridge. Just the
usual circuit from, but one with so many highlights.

The unobtrusive stick that suddenly takes flight across the rhyme by you,
and with large and slow beating wings plays a game of "chase the heron" with
you, clearly unaware that flying in a parallel course to you at the same
speed is not perhaps the best way to escape.
The lapwings grazing in a field. The swans elegantly flying across the
road.
The flock of starlings disturbed from their roadside tree roost, and flying
off in sync over and around you, a little like being stuck in some kind of
moving Escher picture.
The flash of colour as the kingfisher you disturb goes, flighter plane
style, shooting down the rhyme, beating you by speed as well as beauty.
The slowly lowering sun that leaves you cycling with your own shadow for
company, cast up on the wall and hedges as you fly by.
Stunning views.
The smell of bonfires starting with smoke that just hangs in the air.
Literally laughing out loud as each next thing grabs you, and there were so
many of them.
The sense of wellbeing as your body does what it does and does it well.
Really annoying the traffic on the slightly wiggly/bad vision Wedmore -
Cheddar road (mostly downhill) by cycling at c 26mph and being too fast for
them to overtake easily. Well - it amused me!
I can't describe how beautiful and special it was. By the time I got home
my face ached from smiling so much :) I only did 28 miles, it was only a
couple of hours - on the exercise front it was unremarkable - but as rides
go, it may qualify as my best ever :)

NB - a rhyme is a small stream/ditch which is part of how the water levels
are managed hereabouts. Think st"ream" for pronounciation purposes.

Thanks for listening - I know you'll get it :)

Moving on, I'm thinking of doing one of the 100 mile days of the Tour of
Wessex next year. Does anyone have any experience of it - thoughts, tips,
suggestions, description, etc.? I've done 50miles now, but am worried 100
might be too much - not sure what is the best training/eating regime either.
Hey - I'm a novice! Mebbee I should stick to the 50 miler?

krys
still grinning methinks

in message <[email protected]>, krys ('[email protected]')
wrote:

> Hi guys....just had to share :) as today I had the most, most, most
> amazing ride.

Lovely ride report, thanks...

> Moving on, I'm thinking of doing one of the 100 mile days of the Tour of
> Wessex next year. Does anyone have any experience of it - thoughts,
> tips,
> suggestions, description, etc.? I've done 50miles now, but am worried
> 100 might be too much - not sure what is the best training/eating regime
> either.
> Hey - I'm a novice! Mebbee I should stick to the 50 miler?

Go for the hundred - it's a real feeling of achievement. Eat a large
carbohydrate meal - pasta, rice pudding - the night before. Start the day
with porrage or breakfast cereal. Take a rich carbohydrate food that you
can eat in small quantities on demand - malt loaf is good - and eat little
and often through the ride. Drink plenty. You will do fine.

:: Wisdom is better than weapons of war ::
:: Ecclesiastes 9:18 ::

krys wrote:

> Moving on, I'm thinking of doing one of the 100 mile days of the Tour of
> Wessex next year. Does anyone have any experience of it - thoughts, tips,
> suggestions, description, etc.? I've done 50miles now, but am worried 100
> might be too much - not sure what is the best training/eating regime either.
> Hey - I'm a novice! Mebbee I should stick to the 50 miler?

Simon's right - both the opinion and the advice. Just do it. On the
ride itself don't even think of distance to go but amaze yourself by
checking the distance covered from time to time.

--
Dave...