Oh you Armstrong haters must really hate this!

plectrum

Jul 26, 2007
It looks increasingly likely that Astana will become Trek Livestrong which means seeing Armstrong in all grand tours be that as rider, director or owner until he dies!!!!

ROFL :) I do like the banter in this forum but this is really making me chuckle!

Have a nice day.

Oh my.

I would feel like a class-A D-bag if I had my name plastered all over a Protour team.

What do the French have to say to this? :p

spinner32 said:
Oh my.

I would feel like a class-A D-bag if I had my name plastered all over a Protour team.

What do the French have to say to this? :p
ddddddddddddddd

plectrum said:
It looks increasingly likely that Astana will become Trek Livestrong which means seeing Armstrong in all grand tours be that as rider, director or owner until he dies!!!!

ROFL :) I do like the banter in this forum but this is really making me chuckle!

Have a nice day.
Kimmage was right, the cancer is back.

oddly enough, plectrum, you neglect to mention that lance was unable to secure funding a few years back when discovery lost its primary rider to retirement. how long will this team's funding last when he decides to retire again?

slovakguy said:
oddly enough, plectrum, you neglect to mention that lance was unable to secure funding a few years back when discovery lost its primary rider to retirement. how long will this team's funding last when he decides to retire again?
Very good point!

plectrum said:

Have a nice day.
Wouldn't any Livestrong money spent on sponsoring a cycling team be money taken from a kid with cancer? Then again, Livestrong has never really been Lance's priority, so maybe it wouldn't be such a surprise to see him draining the fund for his own purposes.

Have a nice day. ;)

Leafer said:
Wouldn't any Livestrong money spent on sponsoring a cycling team be money taken from a kid with cancer? Then again, Livestrong has never really been Lance's priority, so maybe it wouldn't be such a surprise to see him draining the fund for his own purposes.

Have a nice day. ;)

Well Livestrong already has a low ratio of income:charitable spending, ie they already spend a higher proportion on administration and promotion than most charities do. They would argue that this is justified in terms of the total amount brought in and therefore the total amount that can be spent. A few €M's on part-sponsoring a pro team is just a bit more of the promotional budget.

It's a pure ego-trip anyway. Why have your own charity when there are millions of charities out there already? If you really want to raise awareness of cancer charities why wouldn't you wear a McMillan cap or a Marie Curie cap or whatever? Or do what FC Barcelona did in collaboration with Unicef? Once you have a charity set up purely for the benefit of your ego, obviously the logical step is that you can use its 'promotional budget' to fund a pro cycling team to swan around Europe.

slovakguy said:

Livestrong wasn't around
Contador wasn't top dog (and not expected to feature at le Tour, let alone win)
Leipheimer wasn't very good

3 big differences between now and then.

Also back then success for the team was based around Lance winning but now it is just about Lance appearing in a fashion we have Slipstream to thank for this new approach to promotion and marketing within cycling.

Trek must be absolutely dancing with joy at the moment they have Lance plugging them with bike pictures nearly every day to 804,000 followers.

Also back at the tail-end to Discovery it really was uncertain that they would win the GC. I also think that because they won le Tour via a DSQ of Rasmussen that didn't go down well with Discovery. I know supposedly the funding had been pulled prior and regardless but if the blue train had smashed le Tour with glowing reports etc etc then many things could have changed post Tour.

Now if they do not clean sweep the 3 x GC I will eat my hat.

plectrum said:
Also back then success for the team was based around Lance winning but now it is just about Lance appearing in a fashion we have Slipstream to thank for this new approach to promotion and marketing within cycling.

Trek must be absolutely dancing with joy at the moment they have Lance plugging them with bike pictures nearly every day to 804,000 followers.
trek makes its living selling bicycles to americans who don't know better. when armstrong "retires" to his greatly reduced riding schedule as he has promised, how many bicycles will trek sell when the american no longer rides to promote the brand? this is the same question trek had to ask themselves a few years back and they didn't get on board with lance's dream then. unless of course, you admit the possibility that lance wasn't very serious a few years back in founding a team and was more interested in getting thrown out of austin nightclubs and nuzzling matthew m.

"Now if they do not clean sweep the 3 x GC I will eat my hat."

by the bye, what race are you betting this action on? the giro?

plectrum said:
Leipheimer wasn't very good.
Yeah, quite an amazing turnaround as soon as Levi started riding for Johan, wasn't it? Can't remember the last time a guy in his mid-30s suddenly emerged as a legitimate GC contender. Oh, sorry, I meant to say I can't remember the last time a rider in his mid-30s suddenly emerged as a legitimate GC contender who wasn't doping or riding for Bruyneel's team, although that last bit is kind of redundant, really, considering that there probably never has been a clean rider on a Bruyneel team.

plectrum said:
Livestrong wasn't around
Contador wasn't top dog (and not expected to feature at le Tour, let alone win)
Leipheimer wasn't very good
"Livestrong"... the Lance Armstrong Foundation was founded in 97 and the yellow braclets came out around 2004ish.

As for Contador, when you start a promising pro career and the following year you mysteriously go into convulsions mid stage and are diagnosed with cerebral cavernoma. He has a scar that runs across the top of his head from ear to ear... The guy only had his skull opened up and a risky operation performed... Just minor details. He won the Setmana Catalana, finshed third in the Vuelta al País Vasco (won the time trial stage) and took fourth in the Tour de Romandie and won a stage there too - not bad for less than 12 months after having your brain hacked open I'd say.

Levi. I guess 3rd overall in the Vuelta (2001), a win in the Tour of Germany and 5th in the Tour (2005) and a win in the Dauphine Libere (2006) just shows that he was just rubbish. Personally, I'd say that the Dauphine win is his biggest win of his career and that was pre-Disco/Astana.

Try harder next time. Maybe even include some factual information, not that this place sees much of that... your comments further cement my belief that this place really is full of gossiping old ladies spouting rubbish over the neighbors fence...

Leafer said:

Have a nice day. ;)
As a charitable foundation I don't think Livestrong is allowed by the law to run a business.

I can see why a Trek/Livestrong team with LA in some role (DS? owner?) would attract sponsors as opposed to the Discovery team w/o Lance in any prominent role. For a sponsor it's about visibility and media presence. LA trumps most everyone in that respect (which is a polite way of saying that he's a media *****).

Moreover, and I hate to say it, but it is true that Lance's presence in the sport might lead to better coverage in the US media. Maybe we'll see a channel which will pick up the Giro, TdF, Vuelta, some minor tours and the classics.

I'm actually somewhat surprised that the Giro wasn't picked up by Versus once it became clear Lance would ride it. So, maybe I'm too optimistic.

RdBiker said:
As a charitable foundation I don't think Livestrong is allowed by the law to run a business.
True that... but there's nothing from stopping Livestrong being the primary sponsor.

Unicef once got primetime placement on Barca FC shirts... and I'm sure they used lots of our donated money to do so.

p1_ronaldinho_1205.jpg

swampy1970 said:
True that... but there's nothing from stopping Livestrong being the primary sponsor.

Unicef once got primetime placement on Barca FC shirts... and I'm sure they used lots of our donated money to do so.

p1_ronaldinho_1205.jpg

No. UNICEF didn't pay for that advertising. Barça have them on their shirt as a good will gesture. I posted a link to a story about it in my message on the previous page.

rob of the og said:
No. UNICEF didn't pay for that advertising. Barça have them on their shirt as a good will gesture. I posted a link to a story about it in my message on the previous page.

Indeed Swampy ... were you saying something about facts and old ladies? ;)

BTW

I agree with all your confirmations but ....

I am a sofa cycling fan and didn't know about Livestrong back at the 07 tour. It may had existed but it was in my opinion far smaller and less effective than it is now.

Leipheimer may have wone some races but was never in contention for a Grand Tour victory. I can never remember tuning in expecting to see Levi on the podium. I know you can state 3rd place in 07 but this is after Ras and Vino were excluded/injured/both, it was by chance rather than expected.

Contador wasn't top dog he was a cyclist with potential.

Now

Livestrong is getting quite popular in terms of its message and the positive marketing this brings.
Lance's comeback is probably attracting more interest than when he was competitive.
Contador is probably the leading road cyclist in the world and should breeze the tour de France

Difference?

Oh there is one other thing ... in 07 Armstrong stated that funding was not possible and now he is stating funding theoretically should be possible.