Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

OIl Eater for bike cleaning

Started by Paul Nevai · · Last activity · 4 posts · 851 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 June 2005
Last activity
3 June 2005
Original author
Paul Nevai
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
851
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Has any of you used Oil Eater for bike and bike chain cleaning? In what
    dilution rate? See http://www.oileater.com/

    Is it good? Sam's Club has it now for a real good price. Best regards, PaulN

  2. Paul Nevai said:

    Has any of you used Oil Eater for bike and bike chain cleaning? In what
    dilution rate? See http://www.oileater.com/

    Is it good? Sam's Club has it now for a real good price. Best regards, PaulN

    I had never heard of it until now, so I looked at the web site. The fine
    print says "Avoid prolonged contact on aluminum." I guess you should be
    sure to thoroughly rinse your bike after you use this stuff.

    --
    Dave
    dvt at psu dot edu

  3. dvt said:
    Paul Nevai said:

    Has any of you used Oil Eater for bike and bike chain cleaning? In what
    dilution rate? See http://www.oileater.com/
    Is it good? Sam's Club has it now for a real good price. Best
    regards, PaulN

    I had never heard of it until now, so I looked at the web site. The
    fine print says "Avoid prolonged contact on aluminum." I guess you
    should be sure to thoroughly rinse your bike after you use this stuff.

    The MSDS:

    http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=11013003

    Indicates it contains 2-Butoxyethanol and Sodium metasilicate, which
    roughly translates to: 409 and diatomaceous earth. Sort of.

  4. dvt said:
    Paul Nevai said:

    Has any of you used Oil Eater for bike and bike chain cleaning? In what
    dilution rate? See http://www.oileater.com/

    Is it good? Sam's Club has it now for a real good price. Best
    regards, PaulN

    I had never heard of it until now, so I looked at the web site. The fine
    print says "Avoid prolonged contact on aluminum." I guess you should be
    sure to thoroughly rinse your bike after you use this stuff.

    Most caustic compounds will etch aluminum, a lot of strong cleaners are
    caustic.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.