OIl Eater for bike cleaning

Paul Nevai

Guest
Has any of you used Oil Eater for bike and bike chain cleaning? In what
dilution rate? See http://www.oileater.com/

Is it good? Sam's Club has it now for a real good price. Best regards, PaulN

Paul Nevai wrote:
> Has any of you used Oil Eater for bike and bike chain cleaning? In what
> dilution rate? See http://www.oileater.com/
>
> Is it good? Sam's Club has it now for a real good price. Best regards, PaulN

I had never heard of it until now, so I looked at the web site. The fine
print says "Avoid prolonged contact on aluminum." I guess you should be
sure to thoroughly rinse your bike after you use this stuff.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

dvt <[email protected]> writes:

> Paul Nevai wrote:
>> Has any of you used Oil Eater for bike and bike chain cleaning? In what
>> dilution rate? See http://www.oileater.com/
>> Is it good? Sam's Club has it now for a real good price. Best
>> regards, PaulN

> I had never heard of it until now, so I looked at the web site. The
> fine print says "Avoid prolonged contact on aluminum." I guess you
> should be sure to thoroughly rinse your bike after you use this stuff.

The MSDS:

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=11013003

Indicates it contains 2-Butoxyethanol and Sodium metasilicate, which
roughly translates to: 409 and diatomaceous earth. Sort of.

dvt wrote:
> Paul Nevai wrote:
>
>> Has any of you used Oil Eater for bike and bike chain cleaning? In what
>> dilution rate? See http://www.oileater.com/
>>
>> Is it good? Sam's Club has it now for a real good price. Best
>> regards, PaulN

> I had never heard of it until now, so I looked at the web site. The fine
> print says "Avoid prolonged contact on aluminum." I guess you should be
> sure to thoroughly rinse your bike after you use this stuff.

Most caustic compounds will etch aluminum, a lot of strong cleaners are
caustic.