Oil in tubes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe Riel, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Joe Riel

    Joe Riel Guest

    I have been told that motor oil is a convenient
    lubrication for the leather gasket of a Silca floor point.
    Is there a problem with minute amounts of oil being
    injected into the tubes?

    Joe Riel

    Tags:

  2. Jim Beam

    Jim Beam Guest

    for most tube materials, yes. oil vaporizes under heat and
    pressure, the effect of pumping, especially as pressures
    climb, and oil could carry to the tube. it /will/ ruin your
    tubes if it gets in.

    will you notice the effect for a one-off? no. if you use oil
    consistently over time? probably. i'd stick to a thick
    grease - less volatility.

    Joe Riel wrote:
    > I have been told that motor oil is a convenient
    > lubrication for the leather gasket of a Silca floor point.
    > Is there a problem with minute amounts of oil being
    > injected into the tubes?
    >
    > Joe Riel

  3. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    [email protected] (Joe Riel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have been told that motor oil is a convenient
    > lubrication for the leather gasket of a Silca floor point.
    > Is there a problem with minute amounts of oil being
    > injected into the tubes?
    >
    > Joe Riel

    Dear Joe,

    There seems to be some doubt about oil, but three posts from
    a thread from last year follow.

    Carl Fogel

    From: A Muzi ([email protected]) Subject: Re: silca floor
    pump Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Date: 2003-07-20
    19:13:02 PST

    "Joseph S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > my silca super pista floor pump ( about 5 yrs. old ) has
    > become difficult on the up stroke. it feels like it's clog
    > wherever it pulls air from but I can't figure out where
    > that is. I removed cleaned and lubricated what looked like
    > a check valve but that didn't help. Can you help. Thanks.

    Pull out the piston and clean it, then work in some leather
    moisturizing product, whatever you have handy (neatsfoot
    oil, Proofhide, etc). Jobst says machine oil, which would
    prbably work too.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

    From: Phil Brown ([email protected])
    Subject: Re: silca floor pump
    Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
    Date: 2003-07-20 21:04:00 PST

    I use grease. I've always thought that there was a chance of the oil droplets
    getting into the tube and rotting it, but then again I date from the days of
    latex tubes.
    Phil Brown

  4. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    silicones such as phil wood lube or prestone spray silicone
    tend to not screw up various materials. wood works well in a
    road morph giving a satisfying thwack thwack with extra ease
    in reaching the requirted pressure.

    motor oil does have detergents( well, that's what THEY say
    or claim)and the detergents well, the detergents detergent.
    Deteregent motor oil burn off and residue. Or so THEY claim.

    Motor oils not heated to near boiling accumulate water
    sometimes under the oil next to the steel surfaces.

    whatareyastupidorwhat?

  5. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Joe Riel writes:

    > I have been told that motor oil is a convenient
    > lubrication for the leather gasket of a Silca floor point.
    > Is there a problem with minute amounts of oil being
    > injected into the tubes?

    I've always used 30w motor oil on my pumps, Silca frame
    pumps and floor pumps, both of which use the same Silca
    leather. This practice has never caused a problem or defect
    in a light weight latex tube or a butyl tube so I think the
    answer is that it does not affect the integrity of tubes.
    Besides which, tubes don't last forever due to punctures, so
    they get replaced in a few thousand miles.

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]

  6. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    defined as a lubricant, oil wether motor or machine has the
    properties of an organic solvent. silicone is not an organic
    solvent. but one must excercise cawtion as some silicones
    are carried in water. i assume P.Wood's is not.what finish
    line is doing with the teflon?? what is in motor oil(or
    machine oil) is a matter of trust in advertising.

    i have a fingerprint test: rub the oil between the (CLEAN
    FINGERS!!) feel your print's edges? try that after 1000
    miles with different brands. a master mechanic friend in a
    cold clime sez this is not exactly useful tending to the
    ring drag=ring wear but clodme tends to believe lower piston
    speeds are...

    NOTE: leather and human skin are organic materials.

    the specific water resistant aspects of silicone and water
    elude me tho wood does mention that wood lube is water
    resistant or relatively water insoluble or.. whereas water
    and oil "spills" in the atlantic generally dissapate over
    time. i don't remember hava-lien claiming anything about
    water resistance.