Oil or Grease Cables or Housing?

cyclepath

Dec 30, 2003
I am replacing the brake\derailleur cables and housing on my bikes. Should I apply oil or grease? I was thinking of applying some oil to the cables before I slip them into the housing and some grease at the ends of the housing to help prevent water and dirt from entering into them. Is this a recommended practice?

Also are all brake and derailleur cable housing the same? Is the Dura Ace housing any better than generic housing that can be purchased by length or are they pretty much all the same? Except for Nokon or other high end exotic housing, I assume.

cyclepath said:
I am replacing the brake\derailleur cables and housing on my bikes. Should I apply oil or grease? I was thinking of applying some oil to the cables before I slip them into the housing and some grease at the ends of the housing to help prevent water and dirt from entering into them. Is this a recommended practice?

Also are all brake and derailleur cable housing the same? Is the Dura Ace housing any better than generic housing that can be purchased by length or are they pretty much all the same? Except for Nokon or other high end exotic housing, I assume.

New cables and housings should not be lubed. They are different for brakes and shifters. Housing is housing.

my lbs always puts a light layer of a heavy lube on the cables (just in the housing) to keep them shifting smoothly and like you said keep the dirt out.

spacefuzz said:
my lbs always puts a light layer of a heavy lube on the cables (just in the housing) to keep them shifting smoothly and like you said keep the dirt out.
Well, you should use nothing or a bit of light lube if ya just hafta. Current casing is plastic lined and really doesn't need it. Generic casing works as well as the high $$ stuff too.