Oiling Spoke Threads?

p38lightning

Apr 19, 2004
Do you do this on your existing built wheels as part of routine maintenance? I'm not referring to spoke preps or lubing eyelets during wheel building.I live in Tucson. No salt air, it seldom rains. Before I start doing this I would like your input.

Oiling spoke threads (and the eyelets in the rim) prior to building is always a great idea but I doubt that you'd get a worthwhile amount of oil sufficiently far into the spoke nipple to do any good after the wheel was already built, even if the very top of the spoke threads were pristinely clean which they're probably not.

If you have brass nipples and stainless spokes seizing shouldn't be an issue as there's normally some lubricant left over from the manufacturing process.

If the wheel needs a touch-up, then I'll try to get some oil in before trueing. But I wouldn't really consider that "regular maintenace".

Originally Posted by p38lightning .

Do you do this on your existing built wheels as part of routine maintenance? I'm not referring to spoke preps or lubing eyelets during wheel building.I live in Tucson. No salt air, it seldom rains. Before I start doing this I would like your input.
Little needle nosed bottle, wee bit of Lindseed oil, keeps nipples/eyelets from making noise, particularly on Mavic Open Pros. If no noise, no need unless the wheel needs to be trued, then a wee bit on the same places.

Thanks to all. I suspected that this practice was a bit "much" when done regularly to all of the spokes. There is a video on the web of a guy that does it every 3 months or so. I hope that he has disc brakes cause his rims must be slicker than a politician!

There was a mysterious tick-tick-tick sound coming from my drivetrain, and it drove me nuts trying to locate the source.
Wasn't sure if it was the chain, rear wheel or BB bearings, the rear derailer. Home remedies and adjusting didn't help.

So I took it to a local bike shop. The mechanic there immediately suspected spoke threads frozen in the nipple. He loosened every spoke, squirted in some secret sauce on the threads, then retightened and trued the wheel. Problem solved. It could be that I live 3 miles from a beach.

If that can be considered a handicap.

Gary in Santa Monica