Ok Andy, I got a job for ya.

bbrauer

Feb 27, 2007
I've given you the job of single-handedly saving Ergomo from irrelevence and, possibly, going out of business.

The issues with innacuracy relative to Srm and Powertap have been pretty well documented and discussed here. Apparently there's 10% variation in power readings, and the Ergomo overestimates power at lower cadences, and underestimates power at higher cadences - or is it the other way around?

Anyway, I was thinking that if the accuracy differences follow a predictable path, why couldn't it be a simple fix to just develop a software algorithm that fixes this? I mean, that's all the Ibike is - a bunch of patches thrown together to make it work.

Actually, this is a solution that ought to come from Ergomo (as well as product support)...or at least a software guru. But still, right now, or at least until Quarq ceases to be vaporware, the Ergomo is the one power meter without a significant weight penalty, allows you to use your own wheels, and is the only option for mountain bikes with disc brakes.

bbrauer said:
Apparently there's 10% variation in power readings, and the Ergomo overestimates power at lower cadences, and underestimates power at higher cadences - or is it the other way around?

It all depends...and that's just the thing. Not only can the average value vary from reality depending on the L/R balance of a particular rider, but how much it can vary from "reality" at any given moment is directly based on the consistency over various conditions of the rider's pedal stroke.

You aren't going to be able to compensate that out with any sort of math algorithm...unless it's custom tailored to each rider after installation. Even then it's going to need to know the effects of fatigue as well.

Your idea is looking like a bit of a "non-starter" to me...