Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by ness, Oct 31, 2002.

1. nancyinky

nancyinky New Member

very cool...i'm from ithica, ny. i now live in WV. lots of caves around here ;0) mud too. and oh yeah-things to fling yourself down.

and 28 is a good age!!!

2. nancyinky

nancyinky New Member

i like southern VA. i am in southern WV--we are near by ;0)

you and that lit'lin have fun and wear helmets
    -nancy

3. pinkcycle

pinkcycle New Member

Hi Nancy.
    I ride with a group of friends, this is my 3rd year, it's their 4th! It's an amazing ride except for the fundraising aspect. This year's minimum is $2750 - ouch!!! I believe it is "sold out" for this year, but take a look at:
    www.pmc.org
    Are you in New England??
    kim

4. pinkcycle

pinkcycle New Member

oops - just read the last few replies!! Nancy - I see you're not in New England, but you are from Ithaca!! I spent 5 yrs there (4 in school, 1 more because I couldn't bear to leave!!). GREAT city!!!
    Kim

5. nancyinky

nancyinky New Member

$2750...a rider!!! OMG.

did you go to cornell or ithica uni? and yeah--the finger lakes region is something and the people are great.

i live where WV, KY and OH all meet.

6. pinkcycle

pinkcycle New Member

Tell me about it!! The fundraising is flooring me!
    I went to Ithaca college, grad in '84 (ouch!).

7. nancyinky

nancyinky New Member

i will not be joining in on that ride. ok ithica college-i think i know--private and also exspensive, no?

i'm still doing post grad stuff--got my masters 2 years back. graduated highschool in 94...id'a been playing in the park in the center of the commons in 84...i'da been about 8 and as cute as a button. remember me, lol?

8. kcoker

kcoker New Member

I'm a 24 year old newbie from Texas! I recently did my first triathlon (borrowed a road bike for it) and bought my first road bike yesterday! Before my tri, I hadn't been on a bike in years, so this is still all so new to me --but very exciting!

9. pinkcycle

pinkcycle New Member

Nancy,
    I think I remember!!!!

10. Velvet

Velvet New Member

Don't *think* I posted before...

32 (to be 33 next week, ulp!), not been riding all that long, had the bike three years but spent first two doing less than about 100 a year through being nervous and bike not fitting well..

This year's been a different story - tis all coming together at last, and now doing regular 40-50 milers on a sunday... going from unfit and no muscles to not as unfit and muscles starting to erupt from the flab...

My bike's a Dawes Audax, had a lot of stuff changed over the time I've had it, stem, bars, pedals (several types!), saddle, rack fitted, etc etc... but I love the idea that if I did a race I could strip virtually all of the mudguards/racks/etc off it and it'd be nice and light (steel framed but nice and light) and should be able to go a fair bit faster than I do currently with all the gubbins on... skinny tyres on it (25x700c) so it loves tarmac and hates gravel/grass/tracks.. so I'm definitely a roadie LOL...

In the UK, Surrey, live on the North Downs, halfway up the side of a valley... tend to cycle in Cambridgeshire rather than battle with the hills/traffic around here though - much nicer cycling, and more suited to my abilities right now (still challenging hills to be found in cambridgeshire!).

Definitely hooked on cycling, this year the bug has got me good and proper - very lucky to have my b/f a very keen cyclist (who got me into it, it has to be said) - been watching the TdF each day when I can (work from home a lot but out on the road a lot too) and am constantly amazed by what those guys can do.

Doing my first charity ride weekend after this, 50 miles plus 10 miles to get to it and back, over hillier terrain than I've been prepping on... looking forward to it but nervous too - not used to cycling amongst lots of other cyclists!

11. jessmcph

jessmcph New Member

hi, I just bought my first road bike and have been thnking about training for a tri--any hints?

12. kenerin

kenerin New Member

Hi, I've been riding for about a month now. I ride my mountain bike to and from work during the week and on Weekends I take it out to a few different trails by the lake. It's been a lot of fun. I'm definitely addicted to riding now. If I think I can make it there and back, I'll ride my bike anywhere.

13. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

>>>>

I'm 44 years old, began riding my bike to work in 1977 and although I took some time away from the bikes, got back a few years ago.

I have three bikes, all 3 speeds (my favorites, I'm not a racing cyclist!) I dont drive and so use my bikes to go everywhere and get everything as much as I can. I have two of them outfitted with panniers, etc.

My husband recently got me a sparkling "new" Raleigh, dark green, in mint condition, from a yard sale...the woman had stored it in her garage for years.

14. CannonChick

CannonChick New Member

Hi everyone... I'm new to the group!
    I am relatively new to roadbiking, but I already love it. I enjoy playing music, motorcycling, going to the gym and of course, riding my Cannondale.
    I'm currently trying to build my endurance so I can ride with a group without holding them back...lol
    Any advice would be appreciated!

15. ausgirl

ausgirl New Member

Hi everyone!:D

I'm a 23yr old uni student from the capricorn region of Queensland in Australia and I'm a roadie through and through. I have been riding for close to 4 years and doing club races for about 3 of those years. I race C grade. I always train with and race against a group that are mainly guys - there are an increasing number of women racing, but spread out over several grades equals only a few women per grade. I've been off the bike for the last 6 weeks or so with injury and am getting back on - but i've been told to make it very gradual until i'm totally recovered. I don't even want to think about how much fitness i've lost. Well, that's about it - I'm new to this forum and just wanted to introduce myself.

see ya

16. CannonChick

CannonChick New Member

DOH! forgot.. I'm 40 and live in the CA high desert.

17. AppleDeco

AppleDeco New Member

I'm also new to the board, as I posted in "Newbie."

My name is Taylor, I'm 19, and I live in Oklahoma (USA). I'm a student at the University of Oklahoma and I'm a major in Interior Design, I work at a Design Showroom in Oklahoma City. I don't really have any true hobbies.. I just do as I do.

I got into cycling because my boyfriend is really, really into it. I want to get in better shape and I find cycling to be really fun. I haven't progressed much since I first started except I've increased my average speed, yay!

18. Karenemt

Karenemt New Member

I'm new to the board, just realized I didn't post an intro. I'm 32 years old and live in PA with my hubby and 2 boys, ages 10 and 2-1/2. I WAH fulltime as a medical transcriptionist, have a part-time job as a church organist, and am an elected borough councilwoman. So, when I can find a few spare minutes, I hop on the bike and go!

My brother the elite track cyclist coerced me into getting onto a bike last year after about 20 yrs of non-bicycling. It only took a few weeks and I was hooked. I bought my own road bike a year ago and would like to gear up for a century next year.

19. HellonWheels

HellonWheels New Member

>>>

What is it about that 20 year thing? That was my situation too! I returned to riding my bike two years ago, after a lapse of something like 19 years.

20. Karenemt

Karenemt New Member

All I know was that it was SO stupid of me! I like cycling much and have missed out on all this fun for 20 years :)