Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by ness, Oct 31, 2002.

1. overthere

overthere New Member

I've been riding a bike in and around town for 4 years on a hybrid, and just got a 2004 Dolce Elite at the beginning of Sept. FUN! I'm 45, a teacher, and was at that time when my metabolism was slowing down and :eek: the winter pounds didn't go away, no matter how much in town riding or tennis I played. So I started biking more/further and next thing I knew, I was a roadie. Darned if I haven't lost a pound, but my torso has slimmed down, and my legs are bulking up.:rolleyes: Still just a newbie though, but I'm working on it. I love taking off down a really long, flat country road.

I'll be doing my first 'ride', the Foxy Fall Century, next month, but only the 50k. In March, a coworker and biking friend wants us to do a 100k ride (Female only ride/race). I don't know if I'll ever manage 100 mile ride though!

2. theresa123

theresa123 New Member

Hi, my name is Theresa and I am from South Africa. Love cycling. Taking part in a cycle challenge in November. But while cycling it just feel as if I really don't have any energy can you perhaps give me some advice.

3. SadieKate

SadieKate New Member

Just joined this list and saw your post. Go girl! Maybe I've seen you around Davis? I turn 45 in 5 days so I'm with ya. I did a full 100mile century on a tandem about 20 years ago, but have just done tons of metrics since then. Decided last winter that I had to do a full 100 on a single bike and it put me in the best shape in years. It can be done. It doesn't take that much more training. Just pick one that isn't during our lovely hot summers. If you're in good shape for the Cinderella, just keep training and you can do the Wildflower or the Wine Country full centuries a month later in fine form.

Word of advice, get your reg in early for the Cinderella. It will max out in about 4 days. Watch their website! Also watch those cars! Davis' cycling is heaven compared to the east bay. But 2,200 women on the road is a truly fun time to be enjoyed at least once.

4. anneslam

anneslam New Member

I am new to this forum too. I have been racing competitively for 12 years and I am easing my way into retirement, except I do not consider it as retirement in the true sense of the word since I am merely moving on into another phase of my life. Quitting the racing scene only opens many more doors I feel.
    I really want to give back to the sport that has consumed my life the past decade, specifically helping and passing on my cycling knowledge to women.
    I am 36 yrs old.
    I am excited to see so much interest by women, and hope to keep tuned into these forums as much as possible.

5. kiki dodson

kiki dodson New Member

I'm New To The Site...and To Road Biking (6 Mos. ). I Am So Amped To Find This Site...and With Some Pretty Credible Riders At That. I Will Begin Training Soon And Ride The Solvang Century In March. My Bike Is A Mercier Elle Which Is Great For Me As I Am Petite....this Being A Smaller Bike (650 Tires). Anyway, Nice To Post Here And Keep On Rolling....ps Solvang,ca

6. kiki dodson

kiki dodson New Member

SadieKate, I will turn 46 in about a month. I am new to cycling, but I feel very connected, and wished I had started sooner...but hey, what better than the present! Anyway, I noticed you are in Ca. I too. I am trully lucky to live in the wine country...beautiful biking. Anyway...keep on rolling.

7. SadieKate

SadieKate New Member

Hey, Kiki! Last month I did the metric route on the Tour of Napa Valley for the first time in years. I love the new route! I'm so jealous that you guys can ride the Chiles-Pope Valley area regularly. I think I'm actually going to try to ride from Davis over Cardiac to Napa once Gigondawanda and her sisters (the RVs) go home for the winter. I'll go ride massive hills on my mtb, but for some reason I always try to avoid this hilly road ride. Guess I have to make this my goal for this year. I'll be looking for you out on the road. Rubberside down!

Sarah

8. mochitwee

mochitwee New Member

GIRL here from W Covina... rookie cyclist.... 30 yrs old :cool:

9. jessmcph

jessmcph New Member

hi, I'm 29. I started biking three years ago but just recently bought a road bike which i love. I'm addicted and ride about 100-150 miles a week (during the summer, spring and fall) I live in ohio so winter biking is more of a challenge than i've tryed yet. any tips for winter biking they would appreciated. thankd:D oh and i'm so jealous of those of you who live in Ca. with all the beautiful weather

10. swanygirl

swanygirl New Member

Gosh girls, I love reading all your posts, its now November and I wanted to share just how great my summer was with riding. My one goal this summer, was to complete a full century. I worked my way up, did a couple metric rides and finally completed my full century. (106 miles!!) I have never been as pleased with myself and my accomplishment (personal win!!) I live in Jersey, so between riding over the George Washington Bridge, going thru beautiful covered bridges in PA, and experiencing NJ roads like never before...I feel so lucky to be where I am. 41, mom of 2, happliy married,,AND I completed a century! Now to bundle up, and stay outside for as long as possible. I wish I knew of a fall ride?? Thanks for letting me share,,,ride on!!!! swany :D

11. Lyz2814

Lyz2814 New Member

31 here. Been biking for about 2 years. I did my first Tour De Cure last year. This year I hope to do a duathlon and a half century. I plan on cycling this winter--I even got the tights and layers for the cold!
    I normally ride a hybrid, but this december I'm looking to get a road bike, probably a Dolce Elite. My hybrid is gonna become my second bike, and maybe a snow bike. We'll see.

I'm usually on the Schuylkill River Trail near Philly.

Did I mention that I'm single? I gotta mention that I do enjoy the "view" from behind my shades most days...

12. *Alice

*Alice New Member

i'm 21, and i just started biking about over a month ago. and during the first 2 weeks, i found biking really addictive :D
    i can't wait to finish my midterms and go biking again.

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Hey girls, don't forget to include Marion Wayneker (Szbert) : he's a girl too !!!!!!

Ah, Ma God !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. lolaryan

lolaryan New Member

Dear all,

Have cycled most of my life, but just started cycling after a gap of 5 years.Have just bought a really sexy cannondale :D which weighs all of 8 kilos. I just love the admiring gasps when I lift it effortlessly onto my shoulder! In all my years of cycling I have never met another female cyclists and consequentely have always cycled on my own. It is good to know that others do exist. Now my plan is to get in as much cycling as possible before biological duty catches up on me. Happy cycling!

15. Mellic

Mellic New Member

I thought I'd add one more name to list. My name is Mel, and I am from Perth, Western Australia.

I am 22 years old and have been racing cross country mtb for the last 2 years. I also own a road bike to keep up my fitness when I cannot get to the trails.

I am currenty undertaking a PhD. Once this is completed I hope to conduct some research exploring the biomechanics/ergonomics of cycling equipment, in particular women's specific designs, and hopefully one day through this research designs can be made even better :) .

16. CannondaleGirl

CannondaleGirl New Member

lol!....i also own a cannondale optimo, very light indeed! and being 5"3" and throwing my baby over my shoulder and walking around makes me feel like king kong!
    i've been riding for a few years, hubby got me into it. i don't ride half as much as he does, but i love the sport. i'd like to call myself a rec rider w/ racing gear. along with my optimo, i have a cannondale r600 and i ride with speedplay pedals.
    after reading the posts about falling (ohhhh god, have i been there!), it brought back memories of toe clips and my foot getting caught in them. as least now when i fall, my foot is not stuck! lol
    nice to see that there are more women riders out there! think i'm the only roadie in my neighbourhood...gotta change that! :)

17. nuthatch

nuthatch New Member

Hi! I'm 48 and and I've only been cycling for a year now. I've never been athletic and I was bowled over by how much I loved riding my bike, even to the point of bonking - what is it about this sport that's so addictive??? Now that it's cold here in Illinois, I'm inside on a trainer with only one thought - SPRING!!! My family thinks I'm crazy!

18. JudyMay

JudyMay New Member

:) I'm from Trinidad West Indies... started riding two years ago but not competitive only cross country with lots of hills. I currently ride a trek 7500, but is seriously considering a road bike in the near future. For 2005 one of my main goal is to encourage ladies to ride some more... they are interested but need the push. I'm so happy that I can network with other women in cyber space on the thing that I love so much.... riding. Hoping to hear from some you out there.

19. JudyMay

JudyMay New Member

Hi,

This bike sounds like the real thing... what is the average cost of this model? and where can I get the best buy?

20. Tank7404

Tank7404 New Member

Hey ladies..

Im new to this board as well.

Hi! :D

Kole