Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

Hey I am a retired Womans Road Master Racer..I was in my car and got hit by a truck, it broke my neck and tore all my ligaments and muscles on my rightshoulder...I was told that because I was a cyclist and I always work out with a 5lb weight doing situps and the weights over my head to build up the back..my back had so much muscle that it took a lot of impact and saved me from being in a wheelchair...after 2 major surgeries and enought hardware to make the bionic woman jealous I am back on the bike. You can't
keep a old racer down..the doctors could not believe how fast I recovered I was in a big brace from my neck to my shoulder for 7 months but as soon as the Doc said you can start training, my husband set up my trainer and after a few months and confidence I got back in the saddle.

I recomend weight training for the back, if you race and crash your back takes it.. I was really lucky that i was in tip top shape when I got hit...along with the mental strength it help me survive.

So ladies keep riding...:D

PS Just before I had my accident I had just gotten a new Cannondale carbon six 13 full Campy. I ride Sew ups no tubes for me..

I think the sprint must definitely be something that ones masters after alot of practice...

Hello all! I am a mother to three little girls. I am new to this forum so I hope everyone will welcome me. Besides being new, i love to work out. I usually go cycling in the morning as part of my daily work out and then I do pilates after. Just wondering...does anyone here live around Sacramento? I'm just wondering because I go to the Capital Athletic Club in Downtown, Sac. But I love it there because they offer more than just working out. There's dance lessons, karate, Zumba and many more. I hope I encounter someone who actually goes to this health club. In case you are curious about the website, I am attaching a link so you guys can further explore all the things that it has to offer.

Capital Athletic Club, Health Club, Best Club, Downtown Sacramento, Athletic Club, Gym, Workout, Fitness, Family Fitness

anyways, nice meeting you all!

Hi...that's great to see how many females are here
I'm proud that I'm a part of you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif
I'm 25 and cycling is my hobby and sport that helps me look always pretty /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif

Hi! Kathryn from Texas, but currently living and riding around in Italy! There is so much scenery here and amazing terrain for riding. I am a newbie here on the cycling forum but it's good to see some other ladies here :)

Hello all,

I'm new around here. I was a lurker for a while and finally signed up so that I could post something every once in a while. I'm relatively new to cycling. I took it up after developing a stress fracture in my hip (from running) a little over 2 years ago. The coach I was working with suggested I give her program a try. At my gym there is an outfit that runs a cycling training center. They hold classes from November through April indoors and then we we're outdoors from April (depending on weather) until September. I took one indoor class, on a spin bike, and I was hooked. I went out and bought a bike before the next class. Cycling just seemed to come naturally to me. I'm a much better cyclist than I ever was a runner. I have met so many great people through this sport.

Donna

Hey everybody!

Just like DonnaB312 I was a lurker for a while and decided to finally get around to signing up! Living in Kansas, the land is pretty flat which can be nice, but then you encounter the occasional hill and feel like you're dying! The weather can go from one extreme to the other in a single day, so I have my reliable stationary set up as well! I hope to meet a few people through this awesome forum.

Hi Heliix,

Nice to see someone else coming out of the woodwork. There are NO flat rides here in Massachusetts. I live in the 2nd hilliest city in the US so no matter where we ride, we encounter hills. I've had to resort to the trainer this week since it's been raining since Saturday, ugh, it's been awful. Looking forward to sun making an appearance tomorrow.

Donna

I just joined a couple days ago. I guess I'm one of the old ladies - 35. I'm an elementary school teacher in Utah. I'm currently training for the Rockwell 516 mile relay race that's in a couple of weeks. This is my first so I would love any pointers!:D

Originally Posted by Heazgoody .

I just joined a couple days ago. I guess I'm one of the old ladies - 35. I'm an elementary school teacher in Utah. I'm currently training for the Rockwell 516 mile relay race that's in a couple of weeks. This is my first so I would love any pointers!/img/vbsmilies/smilies//biggrin.gif

Naw, you're just a young thing. I'm 52. I wonder who the oldest woman on this forum is? I'm recovering from a knee injury right now, but look forward to doing some long rides on my new touring bike. The roads here in Saskatchewan are too lumpy and cracked for my old road bike.

Hello ladies!

I'm 23 years old, living in Australia, and have just started cycling!
Absolutely loving it so far - I'm just struggling to find time in and around uni, work and my relationships to get out there. I'm thinking of buying a windtrainer, so I can exercise at home...get the legs ready for some real riding.

I'm really new to forums, and only joined this one last week /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif I love the questions that are asked, and all the information people provide.
I'm so glad to find a support network of lady cyclists!

Tess

Hey! I'm 25, living in The Bahamas. Got my second bike (as an adult) for my birthday in April. I cycle to and from work daily, but don't get out much (on the bike) for fun. My gf got her first (adult) bike for her birthday last month, and we're trying to find a way to get it to the bike store to be assembled properly. We got to a certain point, and then... BRICK WALL. Hahaha. Once we get hers set up, I'm hoping to get out for rides pretty often together. It'll be a lot more fun than leaving her at home and saying, "K, I'm goin' for a ride. See ya later!"

Sounds like I'm right in the middle....turned 30 this year! Just started road biking in March-ish, and I had planned to start serious training this week and then got a really bad sinus infection/cold thing that has me on my butt!

Nice to see everyone in here.

Hi everybody! I'm just about 40 (birthday in a little more than a month) - I live in the Washington DC Metro area and I just started cycling again in March-ish... I'm training for the 2011 Iron Girl triathlon (what the blazes was I thinking). I was riding my sister's "spare" bike but recently picked up a used cyclo-cross bike that is way lighter than her hybrid. I'm taking it out on the IG Road Course for the first time tomorrow morning. I almost wish I didn't have to work tomorrow afternoon as i would attempt a longer ride (I do the road course every Sunday, followed by a turn on the run course). I wish I were stronger in hills, I'd attempt riding to work (it's about eight miles one way but i'm terrified of getting squished on the mean streets of DC).

Yikes!.. It appears that this thread has gone stale!...

Well.. Here goes nothin!...

I am 36 and live in the Chicago area. My main hobby is photography and some of my shots can be viewed at the following address if anyone is bored.. lol

inocense.smugmug.com

I just bought a new bike and I am totally loving it!.. After being so inactive for the majority of my life due to asthma, cycling is a definite challenge for me but I am hoping to work harder and "become one with my bicycle" so to speak.. :p

Hi there,

New to this forum, went searching for info about broken collarbones and cyclists and found this site.

Great forum, lots of interesting reading and I have the time at the moment recuperating from this break, so I'm enjoying it.

I live in tropical north Queensland, Australia. Have been riding a bike since I was 3 years of age, ridden all different form from bmx, mtb and road and I also commute. Now in my early 40's and just LOVE my bikes. Have introduced both my sons to riding, one who has taken to it and is as obsessive as me and the other who enjoys his bikes as a form of transport.

Age is no barrier to riding, other than these days when I decide to be a stuntwoman - I break something instead of just bruise!!

Great to hear from all you ladies out there enjoying the freedom of bike riding.