Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

I am just one more girl that you can add to the list! I am from the great City of New York..Was a mountain biker and I have recently switched to Road Biking...humbling..other than biking I enjoy Snowboarding in the winter, dancing and a good concert in the park! I am training for my first Century in October!

Gosh, I just can't stop myself from posting here. :)

I'm Pam from Brisbane, and have just bought my first roadbike after struggling to commute on a mountain bike for a few months.

I now own a sexy little Raceline Giro.

What else... I work doing office type stuff at a University, which gives me plenty of ks in between there and home to ride each day.

Seriously thinking about starting racing at some point (not too soon!) but just enjoying the ride at the moment.

Here is another woman. Training for Olympic distance triathlon, which happens August 31. It's been a fun summer, swimming, biking and running. I'm 54 years old, so, since there aren't a lot of women my age entered in these events, maybe I'll place I live in Southern Oregon, USA, near Crater Lake National Park.

Nice to see a variety of ages and experiences in riding. I'm 48 (49 in October)and live in Michigan, USA. Have riden off and on since my 20's. Am riding my BF's son's Lemond Tourmoleut (sp?) - and love it. My 15 year old daughter died last year, and biking has been my salvation this summer. Going fast, and working to keep up with the group keeps my mind off life's difficulties. I am finally getting strong enough to keep up with the group - and like someone else wrote, it's usually mostly guys. (There are actually two other women in the group I ride with. ) I'm determined to keep training this winter so that next year I can pull and well as stay in the draft. Am feeling pretty good about it though, as I can do our 35 mile group ride that averages over 19 mph, and not get dropped. I ride between 100 and 170 miles a week - depending on the interruptions on week nights.

Even though this thread began a year ago I still want to post.

I'm new to the cycling forum since my recent purchase of a Specialized mtb. They call me Luppy, I'm female, 42, and have been riding mtb on and off for 10 years. (mostly "off" I confess)
I don't ride in any groups, no serious racing, freestyle, or anything like that. I just like to ride trails for recreation. Recently joined this forum and think it's a great place for the hardcore or recreational street or trail rider.

:D

Just thought I would let you know a little about me!
I am female, 23, who rides an old wheeler racer to and from uni and on weekends in Melbourne, Australia.
I use to race as a junior and gave it up for about 5 years. A very bad move I might add!! I returned to cycling just recently thanks to an excellent and very supportive cycling club and my two brothers. I have just entered the racing scene again and I am loving the thrill and challenge of racing and motivation to train which racing brings.
To any women out there thinking about racing.....go for it!! It is awesome, especially when you start to beat the guys:)
Finally, I would just like to add that this forum is fantastic. Keep those replies coming in girls, we are really starting to build a great female cycling community here!!

Hi, Kate here from New Brunswick Canada, hence the nick "Brunswick Kate".

New to adult cycling, but amazed that I'm actually still doing it in September because I'm a lazy exercise phobe first class. Somehow, I've tricked my brain into thinking this is just fun and not exercise.

Primary use of the bike: commuting with an eye to cycle touring for next summer with the family. I've never had much interest in racing but the guys down at one of my local bike shop have been encouraging me to try it out because there are so few women involved in racing around these parts "Commmmmoon, Kate, if you manage to stagger across the finish line, you're guaranteed a top 5 finish...what's to lose?"

Our daughter, on the other hand, is keen to try a bike race next summer. She'll be 8 in November and the "Bike Guys" have been super encouraging to her because despite her youth and small size, she's turned out to be one heck of a trooper on a bike. Last weekend, she and Dad went out and did a 40 km run. Mom was benched for the ride due to work requirements and a nasty boil where I meet the bike saddle. Can you say "ouch"?

So while I'm not much interested in racing myself, I must confess I've been thinking that "a century really isn't impossible". I think next spring we might go out and meet the folks in the local cycling club just to see what they're like. If they're "hard core racers", we probably won't fit in but if they've got enough "tourist class" folks like us, we'll probably sign up for some of their organized rides.

hi - I'm Mary, live in Florida. I'm 49 yo, just started riding a couple of years ago, got sort of serious this spring. Been riding 100 - 150 miles each week, the faster I go, the more breeze - but it is still pretty hot around here!! My husband and I just rode a century - took about six hours. It wasn't a supported ride, we just went out and rode - stopped a few times for gatoraide and powerbar refills (yuch). It was really pretty fun - I never in my life exercised until I started riding. Lost about 40 lbs so far (gained 50 during my 40's), and because of the riding I still eat lots!

So - a century really isn't impossible - makes you feel as if you have accomplished something, too! Go for it!!

My daughter is 10, when she wants to she can ride 30 miles at a time.

i still watch these forums and get a vicarious thrill, anyway, took up cycling again at 40 and loved it, unfortunately, got hurt at work at 43 - just after i'd purchased my 'lifetime bikes', the ones i expected to be able to use the rest of my cycling career. doesn't look like i'll ever ride again, injury virtually unchanged after three years, if anyone looking for a fine bike with practically no miles on it reads this, i have a Litespeed Classic (brushed titanium frame)with 320 miles on it and a Klein Mantra Comp (yes, the beautiful one!)with 120 miles on it for sale. i live in southeastern Iowa now but will ship. asking two thousand for the Litespeed (originally $3500) and one thousand for the Klein (originally $1800). hurts to give them up, both are functional works of art, i like looking at them even though i can't ride them but financial considerations make it necessary. if you're interested, please drop me a line! i will ship, local bike shop will professionally pack it for me. contact [email protected]

hello, my name is mareli, from South africa, i am 32, have started cycling for the first time in may this year, learning a lot. Battling to keep up with husband who drives like a bat out of hell and I ride a Hybrid bike. I am enjoying it a lot!
I LOVE THIS FORUM - IS AWESOME

My name is Kim and I am located in middle Tennessee, USA. I am brand new to cycling....just got my bike 2 days ago! (I fell today for the 1st time.......bloody and scraped, but not giving up!)

I have a dream of racing in the Spring!

I love reading these boards. Lots of information and encouragement!

Hello all, i'm from the b..e..a..utiful Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia. I enjoy going for the occasional ride (still new to the whole riding 'cult' thing) - i'm waiting to find my motivation so i can do it on a more regular basis...

Currently i've been training for Surf Life Saving, i'm a ski paddler, nothing to fab..what you might class as someone who is there just to make up the numbers ;) nar i do ok - i can hold my own.

I'm also at uni doing a Ba Exercise Science/ Ba Education and i'm a PT. But most of all i enjoy running a muck with my buddies and hitting the pubs.

For all the other Ausies out there i'd like to say 'Go the Pies...GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD FOR EVER....'

Lee Ann here, age 34. Road riding for about 4 years. Originally from Philly but now live in Portland, Oregon. The cycling is great here, as is the cycling community!

Hi Jan here 39 yr Melbournian addicted to cycling.
Training for ATB +constant commuter,, alas only on a "MTB" bike
l too love attempting to thrash the guys :)
Lm saving for a road bike :))
p.s great site ,l visit often

Originally posted by ness
Hi everyone, I just thought initally it would be nice to know exactly how many of us females post on cyclingforums.com, so why not post a small introduction each to get things started?<br /><br />Ok heres me:<br />22, Live in Sydney Australia, will be riding mostly sprint track events. Hobbies apart from cycling - Horse riding, and going to the gym, coaching my boyfriend (athletics) and rnb music.<br /> ;D
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi I have never sent in a reply so I hope it works. I ride a road bike in sydney and I am 42 years old. I picked up cycling a year ago and now I love doing triathlons. The rest of the time I look after my three children.

Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum,
My name is Teresa and I live in northern Illinois.
I am 43 years old. I have 3 children ages: 21,18, and 14.
I had forgotten just how much I enjoyed riding-
so here I am at my age riding again and LOVING every minute of it! Oh, I rode when the kids were small, you know teaching them how and going on bike rides together. That's been quite a long time ago.

Then there was a period of time when I did not ride for years. (had sold my old 10 speed and also a 3 speed?)

I got a new bike the first week of August and have really gotten hooked. I am not into racing or time trials and so forth. I am in it for the sheer pleasure, and health benefits of riding. I am a "trailblazer" I enjoy the recreational trails/paths. I am "tempted" to try a group ride sometime- but kinda hesitant to do so.

This weekend I am riding the Elroy-Sparta Trail in Wisconsin. I think the leaves will be gorgeous at this time of year. My other hobbies include: knitting, tatting, and quilting. I enjoy camping, hiking and canoeing.
Gosh, I appologize this is long enough! Forgive me.

~ Teresa ~

Hi everyone, I just thought initally it would be nice to know exactly how many of us females post on cyclingforums.com, so why not post a small introduction each to get things started?<br /><br />Ok heres me:<br />22, Live in Sydney Australia, will be riding mostly sprint track events. Hobbies apart from cycling - Horse riding, and going to the gym, coaching my boyfriend (athletics) and rnb music.<br /> ;D

Hi there, not sure if i'm writing in the right place but just wanted to add myself to the girlie gang.
i work in a cafe whilst studying and use my bike solely for transport to and from as i am afraid i'm not quite fit enough to take part in any events.
I absolutely love cycling it's one of my most favourite things to do, i'm originally from the u.k and love the fact that the sydney weather enables me to cycle most days, very different from Manchester!!

Hello! I'm here! And I'm in gear!

Justine

Hi to all the new girls! great to have you here! We are certainly a minority in the cycling world, but its great to see some more girls have joined up recently!

Hello all....just joined the forum, figuring out what kind of bike to buy, looking for the long-term sport that will keep me fit and give me opportunity to wind down (or up) after a long day at the office. Currently living in Portland, OR, however, in the process of trying to get back to Florida (Tampa area). Wondering what the wonderful world of cycling has for women in Tampa. I see women around Portland all the time cycling around and I've dated a couple of guys who are into the sport. Seeing a naturopath to work on nutrition changes which has increased the energy level a ton! Now I feel like I am getting back to where I need to be energy-wise, but still need to work on getting back in shape. Enjoy running, but need something to keep the gypsy in me quiet (exploring on a bike!)