Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

Hi; I'm Dee, I'm 53 and ride most every day. I'm in Huntsville, Alabama and ride mainly with my husband; there aren't many women cyclists around here, especially over 40. Actually there aren't many cyclists at all. My husband and I love road cycling trips, but have never had time to do a big one like some you read about (months long). We do well to get a week at a time. I can ride 60 miles/day, not very fast, but I don't have to ride that much. Anyone in this area, give me a yell, though I don't expect to hear anything.

Hi all. I'm Jennifer, 48, from Manassas, Virginia.
Just registered with this forum.
I'm returning to cycling after not riding for about 15 years. (I used to use my bike to commute in Washington, DC.)
A friend helped me tune up and I'm off.
I'm the Technical Director of a small Theatre located just outside Washington, DC.
I also am a beginning kayaker. (I must have hit that age!)
I am also interested in doing some group rides but don't know quite where to start.
Any tips?

Hi all, new female member here. Just finished my first triathlon for my 44th birthday. Was first time on a bike since I was 20 and for the life of me am trying to figure out why I ever gave it up. I actually tried to pull out my old bike from high school (a Rould) which rode nicely but I quickly found out you can't beat technology. I got Specialized Sequoia (her name is Sylvia) and she is the most amazing friend I've ever had! Every time I get on that bike I'm looking for the place to put the ignition key. She rides like a cadillac. I'm not even aware of pedalling and -- zoom right up those hills. Gotta love her! Anyway, I'm in NYC and if you see me (usually some form of red cycling shirt -- silver Sequoia bike) give out a shout! I just joined NYC Cycling club and that looks like it is going to be a blast!

CeeCee

p.s. Next triathlon will be St. Anthony's in April -- maybe see some of you there!

THAT MAKES ME FEEL SO WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!

You just got back into the sport and you did a triathalon?!!!!

I am 37 years old, and for the 1st time in 15 years, I am in decent shape: lost 40# and started riding for the 1st time 2 months ago. I am not anywhere NEAR ready to run a race! I am only averaging about 13.5 mph on a 15+ mile ride!!!!!!! I've got a long way to go!

You go, girl! I am not a strong swimmer, but I could bike it and run........ maybe by next Spring I'll be ready to join you!

Kim in TN

oops, I realize that made it sound like I had not rode my bike before the triathlon. I trained for 18 weeks before my triathlon (with the Leukemia society team in training.) Believe you me, I was well prepared!!! I did not enter the triathlon without having had major time in the saddle. I apologize if it made it sound that way!!!

CeeCee

well, here's another one, are we actually keeping count?

i'm 37 this december
one daughter (13 yrs old)
i'm a software engineer working at a non profit.
live in arlington, va (usa)

i'd classify myself as a recreational rider. i owned a mtn bike for about 10 years, went off road for the first time early last year, and bought my first road bike (since my 10-speed that got stolen when i was 12) this last june.

i trained very well for about 8 weeks, then very poorly for another 8 weeks and rode a century in cape may new jersey early this month. it about killed me, but i had a great seat and great shorts (so my a** was not killing me afterwards--which is what i was told was the worst about long distance).

i am way more interested in racing than i yet believe is possible for someone my age, never having been athletic in my entire life. maybe when i'm 50 i'll be in shape to be racing somewheres.

my road bike is a 2003 specialized allez elite cro-mo (27), and it is a dream. love this bike. my next bike will be a custom frame bike (because i have some fit issues to address).

- brightgarden (my korean name translated into english)

Hello! I've been lurking as well...I'm 37y/o, been riding for 10 years (mostly mtb) and have been primarily road for 4 yrs.

I recently purchased a colnago frame and built it up from there...she remains unnamed. I'm short (just shy of 5'3"). My friends tell me my bike is "cute" because of how tiny it appears to them!

brightgarden-we are not too old to race! I just took the risk and became a cat 4 with the uscf. i'll start racing next year-mostly for the fun and personal challenge.

demographic: i live in southern new england.

stella

Originally posted by stella
Hello! I've been lurking as well...I'm 37y/o, been riding for 10 years (mostly mtb) and have been primarily road for 4 yrs.

I recently purchased a colnago frame and built it up from there...she remains unnamed. I'm short (just shy of 5'3"). My friends tell me my bike is "cute" because of how tiny it appears to them!

brightgarden-we are not too old to race! I just took the risk and became a cat 4 with the uscf. i'll start racing next year-mostly for the fun and personal challenge.

demographic: i live in southern new england.

stella

It's so nice to hear of someone my age wanting to race! That's my goal! I'm in TN.

Originally posted by Dianne
Still another one to add to the list.....<br /><br />18<br />Johannesburg, South Africa but I spend the racing season in Switzerland<br /><br />Internet, movies, Rock music, also reading up on a bit of nutrition or other cycling related things.<br /><br />PS Great idea to have this female section!
:D Dianne can you please give us some
advise. I am also staying in Johannesburg I cycle about 21km a day I would like to is it okay and can you please help with nutrition::)

Hi there everybody... Just to let you know i'm also a lady form Bloemfontein, South Africa. I ride mostly road cycle races. Am doing my second Cape Argus Cycle Tour next year. So do we know how many ladies are registered on this site?

Originally posted by babbels
Hi there everybody... Just to let you know i'm also a lady form Bloemfontein, South Africa. I ride mostly road cycle races. Am doing my second Cape Argus Cycle Tour next year. So do we know how many ladies are registered on this site?
Hi glad to see another lady from South Africa... How long have you been practising for the Cape Argus Cycle Tour are you doing the 94.7.:D

<br />WOW, i can just imagine what it must have been like! You must have still been a junior then racing those big boys?<br /><br />I think the sprint must defintely be something that ones masters after alot of practice.....This weekend i will have to try be more patient i think and make sure im not first wheel coming through that last corner onto the track.<br /><br />I see in your profile you were in London? How long were you there for? What were u doing over there?

Can anyone give advise on how to master the hills?:confused:

Originally posted by theresa123
Hi glad to see another lady from South Africa... How long have you been practising for the Cape Argus Cycle Tour are you doing the 94.7.:D

I've started riding again in the beginning of October. But I'm concentrating alot on my hills, cause that was my down fall at this year's Argus. Nope I'm not going to ride the 94.7, but I would have loved to do it some time. Am well riding the Ofm Classic in Bloemfontein this weekend. How long have you been riding?

hi guys (or girls) so, here is one more girl to add to your list. i do tri's, but close enough, right?!? and my god do you all live so far away! you all gonna invite me across the ocean for ride/vacation? anyway, i live in west virginia-we have good hill(lol) rides here.

Originally posted by Eldron
I raced against them for 3 or 4 years. 1 year as a junior the rest as a senior. We had a little bike shop racing team that kinda progressed into a licensed team. Ah the good old days....<br /><br />I was actually in Cheshire in the north west of the UK (near Liverpool and Manchester). My company sent me over for 17 months. It was awesome - not only the country and the people but I got to ride a 5 day stage race in Ireland, several criteriums and road races in England and even the Etap du Tour! It was a pretty cool experience but it's even better to be home. Viva long summers viva!

howdy! so on your web site, the quote about the who and when, is that not an old tracy chapman song? (if ya did not know it, it is-check it out)

take it easy and invite me up to swit. for snowboarding!!!!!

<br />Yip VO2 thats me!<br />I wouldnt quite say THE Dianne though!<br />Did you race OFM?<br />

Originally posted by babbels
I've started riding again in the beginning of October. But I'm concentrating alot on my hills, cause that was my down fall at this year's Argus. Nope I'm not going to ride the 94.7, but I would have loved to do it some time. Am well riding the Ofm Classic in Bloemfontein this weekend. How long have you been riding?
:D Hi how did it go this weekend hope you did well. Well to tell you the truth I am still in the beginning. Did the 94.7 in 2001. Whould like to do it next year again. Practising every day.Are you in a club or are you a professional.Like to get more seriously about cycling.