Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

Originally posted by theresa123
:D Hi how did it go this weekend hope you did well. Well to tell you the truth I am still in the beginning. Did the 94.7 in 2001. Whould like to do it next year again. Practising every day.Are you in a club or are you a professional.Like to get more seriously about cycling.

Nope I just ride for fun and some exercise. It did went very well this weekend. Beter my time... I practise every second day, but i'm consentrating alot on my hills this year. The Argus route isn't so flat, its more hilly... So I would like to do beter on the hills.

Originally posted by babbels
Nope I just ride for fun and some exercise. It did went very well this weekend. Beter my time... I practise every second day, but i'm consentrating alot on my hills this year. The Argus route isn't so flat, its more hilly... So I would like to do beter on the hills.
Do you prefer sitting or standing while you climb hills?
Are you on a certain diet and do you have a certain cycling program?

I prefer sitting when climbing hills, but standing is beter. No on no diet, just carboload before a race.

Originally posted by babbels
I prefer sitting when climbing hills, but standing is beter. No on no diet, just carboload before a race.
:D I also prefer sitting then I can push harder on my legs. I really battle in standing and climbing i really feel unbalanced.

Hi all, my name is Amy and I ride off-road, can't stand worrying about traffic!! I'm 41 and live in Delaware, which is on the east coast of the USA.

I got started riding with my Dad because he was a ski racer and wanted to train. Used to ride a ten-speed Peugeut (sp?) and just got rid of it a couple years ago because the handlebar position bothered my shoulders. Then I started mountain biking after my son had a day trip to a local park.

I have a Gary Fisher hard tail MTB that I've been riding for about 2 years and I recently put a odometer on it to see how far and how fast I was riding. Great motivator!!

I'd like to try racing, but so far have been to chicken to sign up.

My other dream would be to go to a MTB camp and really develop my skills.

I have 2 kids, 15, and 13 who absolutely hate it when I try to make them see how much fun MTB is. (sigh). My riding partner had been my husband, but he has been sidelined because of back problems. (bigger sigh)

I work part-time for a credit card company whch affords me the opportunity to ride during week-days when the trails are not so crowded.

Nice to see so many women who are like minded!

Another girl to add to the list I'm a sophomore in College and I just started riding over the summer when I "borrowed" my aunt's Stella SX-6. I'd like to get into tri's but right now the only thing I have time for a leasurly 10 or so mile ride once a week.

Originally posted by stellagirl07
Another girl to add to the list I'm a sophomore in College and I just started riding over the summer when I "borrowed" my aunt's Stella SX-6. I'd like to get into tri's but right now the only thing I have time for a leasurly 10 or so mile ride once a week.
:I am from South Africa I would also like to start riding in tri's but were to start and how to go about in it. At least you started. You see you will not stop. :rolleyes:

Good start for a new rider...keep building the miles. glad to hear another aunt stella has a bike to be borrowed! :)

stella

Question for the girls. I just ordered a TREK (ladies cycle) for my wife, as she is quite short and they were one of the few brands in the shop that had frames small enough for her....

Any of you girls riding the TREK women's versions?
How do they hold up?

Well, here is another one of us. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and I ride sprint events on the track (and those horrible road miles that one cant seem to escape) Cycling, Gym and homeschool by day, insomniac and aspirant Advanced Life Support paramedic by, um, uh, all day too I think? Oh, and an aspirant World Champ. Like reading, internet, squash

Newbie here. ;)
I live in Baltimore, Maryland -- good 'ole US of A. 27 years on me so far... I'm technically a runner, but I've gotten into cycling (if you can call being set up on a mag trainer with a mountain bike getting into it) because of tendinitis in my knee (damn marathons). Boyfriend is also a cyclist, and is keen on getting me all set up! I plan to buy a road bike in January, just because the funds will become available then -- not too sure I'm keen on winter riding, though!

I was planning on doing this cycling thing eventually, because I wanted to train for triathlons. But it looks like being a triathlete isn't in the cards for me, since very few swims take place in pools, and I don't know of any triathletes with a phobia of open water. :( So duathlons it is, then!

where are you from?

i am in charge of a tri-club in sceenic mtn-ous WV. come here and i'll start you in. otherwise, swim, bike and run! keep as you do, run with the runners and bike with the bikers...poen water swimming for the tri is a little different then the ave joe technique...read on it. otherwise play and have fun!

tip: tape some ca-boom (or whatever you eat) to your frame with some tape just above the tear line (get it close to the stem so the pack doesn't get you knees!). this way, all you do is rip it off and sqeeze-no worries on where to stash or time taken thing about it

oh yeah--tranisitions--duh, don't waist time--practice this, it is a no brainer, but you die laughing at the people who forget where they left their bike (however if you are seeing this first hand-it is a big sign to go faster!)

Originally posted by theresa123
:I am from South Africa I would also like to start riding in tri's but were to start and how to go about in it. At least you started. You see you will not stop. :rolleyes:

most tris (i am an american and metrically dumb) have 20ish mile ride chunks. you can find shorter ones-sprints/short course...the such. you can do duals (no swim). some tri's let short courser's use life jackets (messes you swim time all to %*##) and you can even do a relay. you are never to slow--it is just cool to do it. plus, i look hot in silver lycra ;0) (not that that would motivate you or anything, but it does me!)

Originally posted by stella
Good start for a new rider...keep building the miles. glad to hear another aunt stella has a bike to be borrowed! :)

stella

i have 2 buddies with the trek 1000ish's for girls as their first bikes...they are just that entry treks. niether of them can shift good, but that i do not think is the bike. i had a trek 370 for over 10 years, throw it in my truck, drove it in the rain, left it out back, never oiled a thing, pumped tires only to race...i treated it bad...i still have the thing! i even still ride it in bad weather. i love that cheap bike, still do (and it never had a flat--these new low profile tires--they need to be kept ful-i get flats on my new bike). go cheap and buy nice wheels...that what i always say--nice parts are nice (the treks parts are fine), but nice wheels are nicer! unless your rich, then you need to sponsor me--i still have a bike form 1993!!

wish her luck and remind her to peddle down the hills!!!!

Originally posted by JAPANic
Question for the girls. I just ordered a TREK (ladies cycle) for my wife, as she is quite short and they were one of the few brands in the shop that had frames small enough for her....

Any of you girls riding the TREK women's versions?
How do they hold up?

ok, here we go bguddy...your gonna love me

we have 2 triathlons here in west by god virginia (one might be like a 5 hour drive and the other 7) where you can whear your life jacket. one is in richwood, wv...stick that in your search engine with the term triathlon and you'll find it. the other is at healthyhuntington.org. i am sure there are closer ones, but come to these and you can see me! and i promise for these rides you do not need to be elite. you do want to be able to ride the distances without death , but not at record breaking speeds (heck, you want to leave that to me and my dog ben-right!)

and they do do them in pools-but that just isn't right...i like a lake-it is more sceenic

at any rate...don't be scared-it is about fun and health--do it!!! and smile, it looks better in the pictures they always seem to post on the internet!

Originally posted by vonteity
Newbie here. ;)
I live in Baltimore, Maryland -- good 'ole US of A. 27 years on me so far... I'm technically a runner, but I've gotten into cycling (if you can call being set up on a mag trainer with a mountain bike getting into it) because of tendinitis in my knee (damn marathons). Boyfriend is also a cyclist, and is keen on getting me all set up! I plan to buy a road bike in January, just because the funds will become available then -- not too sure I'm keen on winter riding, though!

I was planning on doing this cycling thing eventually, because I wanted to train for triathlons. But it looks like being a triathlete isn't in the cards for me, since very few swims take place in pools, and I don't know of any triathletes with a phobia of open water. :( So duathlons it is, then!

Originally posted by MtnBikerChk
I think it's just you and me sista.<br /><br />29.<br />accountant by day.<br />usually asleep by night.<br />mountain biker with a road bike for getting my **** into shape.<br />gym in the am - done lots of research on nutrition et al
:p

HI NICE TO SEE YOU CYCLING.
I AM FORTY ONE AND I AM A OFFICE WORK TOO.
I CYCLE FIVE MILES EVERY DAY INTO WORK.
FEEL GREAT FOR IT.
GOOD LUCK DAVE:p :p

NICE TO SEE BOTH FEMALE AND MALE CYCLING.
I AM FORTY ONE AND I CYCLE FIVE MILE TO WORK EVERYDAY.
LOVE IT.
NEVER FELT BETTER
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE DAY

Originally posted by nancyinky
where you can whear your life jacket

Actually, I'm not afraid of drowning, so a life jacket is of little use to me! I'm a very good swimmer, but I have a phobia of open water. I am fine swimming in an enclosed area, such as a pool, inside of a shallow reef, etc. If I find myself in open water where I can't see the bottom I have panic attacks. It's not exactly something I can just "overcome". I wish it were so, but it's not. :(

If I do any triathlons at all, it will have to be one where the swim leg takes place in a pool.

they do have those...if i have time i'll find you one--i remember one at a collage in KY?

Originally posted by vonteity
Actually, I'm not afraid of drowning, so a life jacket is of little use to me! I'm a very good swimmer, but I have a phobia of open water. I am fine swimming in an enclosed area, such as a pool, inside of a shallow reef, etc. If I find myself in open water where I can't see the bottom I have panic attacks. It's not exactly something I can just "overcome". I wish it were so, but it's not. :(

If I do any triathlons at all, it will have to be one where the swim leg takes place in a pool.