Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

Originally posted by vonteity
Actually, I'm not afraid of drowning, so a life jacket is of little use to me! I'm a very good swimmer, but I have a phobia of open water. I am fine swimming in an enclosed area, such as a pool, inside of a shallow reef, etc. If I find myself in open water where I can't see the bottom I have panic attacks. It's not exactly something I can just "overcome". I wish it were so, but it's not. :(

If I do any triathlons at all, it will have to be one where the swim leg takes place in a pool.

Hello from sunny Hawaii. My 1st post...great to see so many women on wheels! I'm 52, a nurse and took up cycling 3 years age. Started on a hybrid but now on a Cannondale road bike. Have completed 5 triathlons from sprint distance to tinman...training for the Honolulu Triathlon starting next week. But recovering from a stress fracture so will only do the swim and 2 other galpals will each do a section. You can check out the AARP TriUmph series...they are all over the USA and the 400m swim is always in a pool...and yes they allow under 50's to compete

Hi my name is Diana and I ride a Mtbike and I am tring to sale a rode bike I am 37 and I live in Nv, I live to ride and look for men.

Originally posted by mtbchick
Hi my name is Diana and I ride a Mtbike and I am tring to sale a rode bike I am 37 and I live in Nv, I live to ride and look for men.

Hi

I am Sue .. do you actually meet any men out there? I bought a road bike last year and a mtb this last month. Why are you selling your road bike? I live in Colorado Springs and it is a great place to do both (unless an ass knocks you out on the road). I hope mtbing is less dangerous (ha, ha)! I must say I am a little nervous about what I want to ride. I am also over 21 so I don't bounce too well; but, I don't just want to toddle along on some flat trail either. I can do that on my roadie. Do you do anything radical? I guess I have to get out there and try it - getting over an injury so I am hoping to get on by summer. Do you get to do much riding where you are in the winter?

Sue

Originally posted by ness
Hi everyone, I just thought initally it would be nice to know exactly how many of us females post on cyclingforums.com, so why not post a small introduction each to get things started?<br /><br />Ok heres me:<br />22, Live in Sydney Australia, will be riding mostly sprint track events. Hobbies apart from cycling - Horse riding, and going to the gym, coaching my boyfriend (athletics) and rnb music.<br /> ;D

Hello there! I think that this si a fantastic idea! I too am always curious about other women who love the sport of Cycling as much as I do!
I am an opera singer, and got into the sport through spin classes. I am shopping for my first real race bike, and want to start training seriously for some races. Any suggestions for a Londoner?

ok. I am just an amateur cyclist, age 40 this year. My nickname is
SHELLED

as in SHELLED OFF THE BACK

If I can get off this computer and stop posting so much and get ON MY TRAINER... then maybe that wont happen this year..!!!

hahaha

well at least I am learning how to corner. and you CAN ride and read the forums at the same time. its just hard to type.

Ladies or I'll say Esteemed Women Riders (meant in the greatest of respect), I am so glad that you are all out there. I am in my 50th year of riding European racing bikes and can remember the days when you knew every rider in your region (all men). In the early 60's there were some very good women riders and they were fun to ride with. Until title IX women in competitive sports wasn't "in" so they were the "oddballs" and so were all the guys riding 10 spds meaning 2x5.
Last month I was riding in Colorado Springs and watched the whole T-Mobile women's team cruise by (or should I say Roaring by) between 35 and 39 kph in a well disciplined peleton. It was great to see how far riding has come. Keep it up. Colorado has the largest population of serious (and casual) women riders I have ever seen. It is so good for the sport of riding to see women riding because they influence other women to ride and become mothers to influence the next generation and so on and so forth...Glad to see this thread and I won't butt any more...You go girls!!!

Originally posted by mtbchick
Hi my name is Diana and I ride a Mtbike

I bought Marla Strebbs book about the Downhill Gravity GOdess. I bought it at the end of the summer but just started to read it now. I can't seem to put it down.

I want to ride so bad outside but up here , in northern Illinois, its cold and snow up to your shins. Though if you bundle up you really can get a 'different' kinda ride. On snow your mountain bike kinda feels like pedalling on Rollers in the Sand. I dont know how else to describe it but you really do need perfect circles to keep moving. and its a heck of a workout!
I just got an email from a gal I ride with , her and her hubby put Studded tires on and were out galavanting in the snow on their mountain bikes, happy as can be.
I think I"ll have to chuck the 75 bucks a tire down and get some studded fore and afts myself just to get outside. Otherwise its just snow shoes in sub zero.....and day dreaming of some future Dirt in the summer.

Hey. at least frozen ground and snow is still better than the 'treat' of spring thaw and all that mud you have to deal with while everything melts to summer. waiting is killin me!

Hi, it's about time I posted something here. I've been posting stuff to aus.bicycle & cycling forums since last year. Um, don't _really know where to start, it's a looonnggg strange story.

Well I started cycling at age 3-4 in Hobart, Tasmania, gave up at 12 due to social pressures, unsuitable bikes available in the 70's/80's, blahblahblah. Re-started in late twenties via a Malvern Star bike via the local tip in Melbourne. Fell in love with it and duly decorated it with stick on rhinestones. Since then I've got progressively more "serious" about cycling, fiddling around with bikes, advocacy etc. Now interested in Audax, Touring, Critical Mass, Bicycle User Groups, Single Speed & MTB. Wish to do the Audax PBP in France in 2007, 1200km in 90hours. (oh yeah baby)
http://profiles.yahoo.com/cfsmtb
As you can see from that, I'm not terribly seriously about anything. :p Apols if my attitude seems flippant but it stems from being in too many bad places for too long.

My cycling heroes are Beryl Burton & Danny Clark. A personal dream is to keep cycling until at least 80+.

All my bikes are called Frank, except for the road bike I'm building up at present. She will be called Beryl.

Quotes of Ludwig Wittgenstein,
Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness .......If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done.

Wow! DIdn't know there were this many women into cycling. I've just started looking into cycling, after taking a spnning class. I thought I wanted a mountain bike, but I borrowed one from a neighbor and I don't think I'm much into that. I want to ride on the road, but I live in NJ and am deathly afraid of crazy drivers splattering me across the highway. I also realized that I don't really ride that well, and get tired very quickly.

But I'm working out at the gym, and hopefully will buy my own bike this summer. Can you get a road bike with wheels more like a mountain bike? The roads near me are a little rough, but there are also some nice flat bike trails I'd like start on.

In my quest to learn I have run into a few other women, but no other black women. Anymore black women out there?

Also, any women in New Jersey or Philadelphia who may be interested in riding with a somewhat clumsy amatuer, feel free to email me at [email protected].

Originally posted by ksprad
Wow! DIdn't know there were this many women into cycling. I've just started looking into cycling, after taking a spnning class. I thought I wanted a mountain bike, but I borrowed one from a neighbor and I don't think I'm much into that. I want to ride on the road, but I live in NJ and am deathly afraid of crazy drivers splattering me across the highway. I also realized that I don't really ride that well, and get tired very quickly.

But I'm working out at the gym, and hopefully will buy my own bike this summer. Can you get a road bike with wheels more like a mountain bike? The roads near me are a little rough, but there are also some nice flat bike trails I'd like start on.

In my quest to learn I have run into a few other women, but no other black women. Anymore black women out there?

Also, any women in New Jersey or Philadelphia who may be interested in riding with a somewhat clumsy amatuer, feel free to email me at [email protected].
Why don't you buy a mountain bike and tell them to put smooth tires on. That way you can ride on trails and decrease friction when you are riding on the road--GOOD LUCK Treke

Originally posted by ksprad

YOu could look at two different kinds of bikes that I think you might like .
If you are funky and want something that looks 'cool' and will make you stand out a bit more in a crowd....... get yourself a Cyclo cross bike. Its kinda like that ol' car the 'El Camino" . THey are the SUV of Road bikes. The nice thing about a cyclo cross bike too is that you can get away with a shock on your fork or seat post....Also you can go to the Rides and Tours all summer long with friends (Like the MS rides or the Diabetes fund raisers, things like that) riding on the roads comfortably. ANother upside to a CC is if you want to you can take it on a trail ( when you get your skills up) AND it is perfect for rougher bike trails that have good limestone gravel surfaces.
The cyclo cross has bigger tires for rougher terrain and a different breaking system in case you get muddy. They also have drop handle bars ...like a road bike.

The other choices are a mountain bike, with smooth tires. or the 'hybrid' bike. But before making your choices..I will highly highly recommend that you go to your Local Bike SHop.

Definitely go get a bike at the Local Bike Shop. They customize a bike to fit you and your needs. You can't get that at a big sporting goods store. You might think you are paying a bit more but you get good service and straight up technical experience from people that know bikes. In the long run you get more for your money or as they say. "You get what you paid for" .

Having a properly fitted bike is the most important thing to ENJOYING your bike. GOod Luck and Have FUN!

Originally posted by Dianne
Still another one to add to the list.....<br /><br />18<br />Johannesburg, South Africa but I spend the racing season in Switzerland<br /><br />Internet, movies, Rock music, also reading up on a bit of nutrition or other cycling related things.<br /><br />PS Great idea to have this female section!
Hi Dianne, and others
I am South African, living in Zürich area. I used to do triathlon and ultraman in the late '80s and early '90s. (Have not raced since and so a bit out of touch.) I am doing the road cycle leg of the swiss gigathlon in july, 97km over some pretty scary passes, and am looking for a second hand bike for this and future cycling. Any ideas on where I should look here? I have only come across one bike so far that may suit - a giant Xs or something, aluminum frame, carbon fork, three chain ring (essential for the route) shimano 105s, carbon wheels for sfr1300. Is this is a good price?
Sally

Originally posted by gigathlon 2004
Hi Dianne, and others
I am South African, living in Zürich area. I used to do triathlon and ultraman in the late '80s and early '90s. (Have not raced since and so a bit out of touch.) I am doing the road cycle leg of the swiss gigathlon

what is a gigathlon? just curious

wow. it sounds brutal!!

Originally posted by JuneBug
Originally posted by gigathlon 2004
Hi Dianne, and others
I am South African, living in Zürich area. I used to do triathlon and ultraman in the late '80s and early '90s. (Have not raced since and so a bit out of touch.) I am doing the road cycle leg of the swiss gigathlon

what is a gigathlon? just curious

wow. it sounds brutal!!

Raced first in 2002. Teams or INDIVIDUAL! Two day race over 400kms. Five disciplines: Road bike, mtn bike, swim, inline skating and running. Check out the website www.gigathlon.ch.

I think I am a little late posting, (Im a lurker on this board) But I too am a woman cyclist. :)

Originally posted by Sparky511
I think I am a little late posting, (Im a lurker on this board) But I too am a woman cyclist. :)

I thought texans didnt lurk.....they swagger.

Howdy!

New here, aspiring road cyclist, try to get in 100-150 a week on my bike, Spike- often ride with my daughter who would love to get into racing. Any advice, assistance, etc are greatly and humbly appreciated-

(formerly) Pokey

Originally posted by JuneBug
I thought texans didnt lurk.....they swagger.

LOL.

Yeah, I usually sit here at work all day and read the forums here and else where. I live in the city so I don't got that swagger :cool: ;)

Originally posted by ness
Hi everyone, I just thought initally it would be nice to know exactly how many of us females post on cyclingforums.com, so why not post a small introduction each to get things started?<br /><br />Ok heres me:<br />22, Live in Sydney Australia, will be riding mostly sprint track events. Hobbies apart from cycling - Horse riding, and going to the gym, coaching my boyfriend (athletics) and rnb music.<br /> ;D

Add another one to the list. 24, Live in Seattle, Wa. Ride in the morning work during the day snowboard at night. surf during the summer. I listen to any kind of music. also enjoy hanging out with my black lab Jacksen.