Ok girls - just how many of us are there here?

wackydeirdre said:
Good God, sit around and get fat?:eek: Don't you dare even think it! Didn't you take the Trek for a test run before you bought it? :confused:Thats a lot of money to toss! Well, youve spent it. Damage done. How about a mountain bike. Speed isn't an issue and you want something heavy. They sure are heavy and you definetly won't pick up much speed on one. You will get your execise and it wll get you where you want to go. Why not give the trek another chance though. ride it where there isn't traffic until youre used to it. Keep in mind the tires are thin and won't provide traction on a greasy road after a mild shower. Heavier rain isn't as much of a problem if at all but it isn't much good for the bike and isn't advisable unless you are good at bike maintance. Best of luck to you! Let me know what you end up doing.:)
Are you from the States originally? I think you said you were from England yesterday but you don't sound british
Please stop worrying about ranting,we all need to vent once in a while
Godspeed on you and getting well again.....terrible accident. When I tried the Trek out, it seemed fine, but I can't really haul on the thing....it's too like dainty feeling....

Yes, I am American....not a drop of British blood....

wackydeirdre said:
Not at all boring, dont worry about it. I,m pretty sure my back problem is from a muscle spasm. I hurt it originally when I was pregnant with my second daughter and very overweight while cleaning the tub. I stood up too fast and it went out. It went out on and off once in a while but hasn't even pinched me since I lost 80 lbs and have been cycling. I was really stressed month back when it went again. I was in the supermarket. I reached down to get a loaf of bread from the bottom shelf. Just one of those things I do every day and yikes! It didn't go out half as badly as it used to and I recovered for the most part in about a week. The day after I got the last kink out I fell on my kitchen tile and broke my chin, teeth,nose eye, hit the fridge, put a gash from my eye to my temple, knocked myself unconscious and woke up with police and EMS around me.(My daughter called emergency) They took me to the hospital by ambulance where they glue stitched my eye together etc.
Now I have to go for reconstructive surgery on my face and teeth so I look like myself again. My back has pinched me since then also. I haven't been back on my bike since then. Too cold now, the last thing I need is an asthma attack. I ordered a trainer yesterday to put my bike on during the winter months to keep in shape. Hopefully my back will strengthen also. It's been one hell of a month! I'd say you can't write this stuff, but I just did. Stay well!:)
What a nightmare! I suppose you maybe jarred it when you fell ... that's good to hear that generally it doesn't bother you as much as previously though. I'll just keep up the cycling and exercises that the osteopath gave me (weird stuff like superman flying through air poses - but seem to help. Apparently your vertebrae have very little support, except from muscle tone, so these exercises are meant to increase the muscle tone of your abdominal girdle, ;)!) Anyway in fact I work for the ambulance service, that's one of the reasons I'm stressing, I wanna get back to work! (I'm also an artist.)
Well, good luck with your training, I guess you have pretty severe winters, here in London it's well weird, sunny and T shirt weather, heh heh!! Very unusual!:cool:
Thanks for your tips anyway!

ptlwp said:
Godspeed on you and getting well again.....terrible accident. When I tried the Trek out, it seemed fine, but I can't really haul on the thing....it's too like dainty feeling....

Yes, I am American....not a drop of British blood....
You probably will do well on a mountain bike. They are heavy, sturdy and have thick tires with knobbs for traction. It's just a real shame you can't use your trek. I'm happy with my Giant OCR3 but would happily take that off your hands. How sad!:(

Hi...

Add me to the list of those here.

I am a pretty new rider (start july 06) and just ordered a PT. That's what actually get me started in these forums - looking for info on power related topics and what not.

Hi Lucy,
I have a friend in Albequerque who tells me its where all the cyclists go for heavy duty training. It sounds like an awesome place to cycle! I hear the balloon festival started today. Enjoy it!:)

wackydeirdre said:
Hi Lucy,
I have a friend in Albequerque who tells me its where all the cyclists go for heavy duty training. It sounds like an awesome place to cycle! I hear the balloon festival started today. Enjoy it!:)
Hey :)

Thanks - and I agree, it is a great place to train and ride. Big mountains, lots of sunshine, and a slower pace of life as compared to big cities.

Balloon fiesta starts on the 6th actually and I work about 10 blocks away. :)

Enjoy it! I'll have to update my friend on the date. He has a terrible time with dates. He's an artist and always very preoccupied. Enjoy those mountains! I hear if you can ride there you can pretty much handle anything with the air being so thin and all. I heard you did have some terrible rain there a month or so back but you basically have the wind to contend with more than anything which can get pretty harsh I hear.Have a great time!

wackydeirdre said:
Enjoy it! I'll have to update my friend on the date. He has a terrible time with dates. He's an artist and always very preoccupied. Enjoy those mountains! I hear if you can ride there you can pretty much handle anything with the air being so thin and all. I heard you did have some terrible rain there a month or so back but you basically have the wind to contend with more than anything which can get pretty harsh I hear.Have a great time!
Heh....yes men and their collective hard time with dates....you know, B-DAYS, Anniversaries :D

Ok, serious now...

Wow, I started riding in July so I haven't tried anywhere else. Does that mean when I visit my folks in the flatlands of the east coast that I'll just rip? ;)

Wishful thinking...

We had terrible rain! it was the wettest summer in recorded history here~!

Fall is in the air though so things are better.

:)

My guess is you probably will have a lot of excess stamina when you go back east unless the humidity bothers you then you might be flattened. It could be whatever you are used to. They may train for the big tournaments in Albequerque because they aren't used to the thin air and want to condition themselves for all altitudes, I don't really know for sure. I actually like to ride on hot humid days better than in the cool weather. I like the challenge and feel I get a better workout. I'd like to visit some day and find out what it's like to ride there. I was supposed to visit my friend this past summer but a lot of unexpected things came up so I had to put it off a while. Where do your folks live? It sounds as if you only have been living there in Albequerque for a short time. Have you picked up the accent yet? I'm gonna warsh the clothes and such?
RE: The rain, my friend told me today that the first saturday of the balloon festival each year without fail it rains. It's good they finally got the rain there though , they have been in a drout for some time it seems. Did you manage to ride much with all the "gully warshers" :D this summer? I just cant help busting on that accent whenever possible. Is this your first time riding or did you pick it back up again? I love what riding does to my bod! I swam more than rode this summer but have gotten back into it again, I'd hurt my leg acting like a kid in my yard with my sons and tore a muscle so am gradually getting back on the bike. It's going to take a little time to get back to speed but I'll be fine. I plan to ride outdoors for as long as the weather allows. Back on the trainer after that until spring. The summer goes too fast!

wackydeirdre said:
My guess is you probably will have a lot of excess stamina when you go back east unless the humidity bothers you then you might be flattened. It could be whatever you are used to. They may train for the big tournaments in Albequerque because they aren't used to the thin air and want to condition themselves for all altitudes, I don't really know for sure. I actually like to ride on hot humid days better than in the cool weather. I like the challenge and feel I get a better workout. I'd like to visit some day and find out what it's like to ride there. I was supposed to visit my friend this past summer but a lot of unexpected things came up so I had to put it off a while. Where do your folks live? It sounds as if you only have been living there in Albequerque for a short time. Have you picked up the accent yet? I'm gonna warsh the clothes and such?
RE: The rain, my friend told me today that the first saturday of the balloon festival each year without fail it rains. It's good they finally got the rain there though , they have been in a drout for some time it seems. Did you manage to ride much with all the "gully warshers" :D this summer? I just cant help busting on that accent whenever possible. Is this your first time riding or did you pick it back up again? I love what riding does to my bod! I swam more than rode this summer but have gotten back into it again, I'd hurt my leg acting like a kid in my yard with my sons and tore a muscle so am gradually getting back on the bike. It's going to take a little time to get back to speed but I'll be fine. I plan to ride outdoors for as long as the weather allows. Back on the trainer after that until spring. The summer goes too fast!
Hi :)

Definitely agree with you about training when it is warm vs. cold weather. I find it harder to breath when it gets below a certain temperature - perhaps a remnant of childhood asthma, but nonetheless that's how it is for me.

I've been here a few years now, but definitely no accent - I'm not from the US ;)

This summer was by far and away the worst I've ever seen here. The records apparently agree - wettest summer on file since the mid 1850's. I got caught in the rain a few times, not something I especially fancy - folks here drive poorly enough on sunny, clear days, much less stormy, rainy ones!

I just got into riding in July of this year. I had wanted to for a while but had some knee problems, thankfully (knock on wood and a many, many Hail Mary's)....I am better.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
Hi :)

Definitely agree with you about training when it is warm vs. cold weather. I find it harder to breath when it gets below a certain temperature - perhaps a remnant of childhood asthma, but nonetheless that's how it is for me.

I've been here a few years now, but definitely no accent - I'm not from the US ;)

This summer was by far and away the worst I've ever seen here. The records apparently agree - wettest summer on file since the mid 1850's. I got caught in the rain a few times, not something I especially fancy - folks here drive poorly enough on sunny, clear days, much less stormy, rainy ones!

I just got into riding in July of this year. I had wanted to for a while but had some knee problems, thankfully (knock on wood and a many, many Hail Mary's)....I am better.
I had an old knee injury also from skiing. I finally was able to quit using the brace at the end of the summer. I ended up hurting the same leg only pulled (or perhaps tore) my hamstring. I'll lean toward torn since I did it in July and it still hurts some. It also is feeling better than before so I'm back on the bike taking it slowly until it gradually is stronger also.

I also have asthma since my house burnt down in 1999. Haven't had an attack in a while but my first year cycling we had a very mild early winter and I rode until mid Jan. one day the cold hit and I had an asthma attack that flattened me for more than a week. I was in bed sucking on the albuterol peace pipe. My old friend the nebulizer. Haven't had that out since. My daughter seems to have outgrown her astma also thank god! Last attack she had turned into pneumonia a couple years ago. Anyhow, water under the bridge. All is well. It's getting cool early this year then we had a nice day again today near 80 so it was a pleasure to ride. I dread puting the bike back on the trainer for the winter. It just isn't any fun. Keeps me in shape so I guess it serves it's purpose. Have fun out there!

wackydeirdre said:
I had an old knee injury also from skiing. I finally was able to quit using the brace at the end of the summer. I ended up hurting the same leg only pulled (or perhaps tore) my hamstring. I'll lean toward torn since I did it in July and it still hurts some. It also is feeling better than before so I'm back on the bike taking it slowly until it gradually is stronger also.

I also have asthma since my house burnt down in 1999. Haven't had an attack in a while but my first year cycling we had a very mild early winter and I rode until mid Jan. one day the cold hit and I had an asthma attack that flattened me for more than a week. I was in bed sucking on the albuterol peace pipe. My old friend the nebulizer. Haven't had that out since. My daughter seems to have outgrown her astma also thank god! Last attack she had turned into pneumonia a couple years ago. Anyhow, water under the bridge. All is well. It's getting cool early this year then we had a nice day again today near 80 so it was a pleasure to ride. I dread puting the bike back on the trainer for the winter. It just isn't any fun. Keeps me in shape so I guess it serves it's purpose. Have fun out there!
I totally understand - I don't have asthma anymore but it is impossible to forget those attacks when I was a kid. Believe you me, asthmatics have all my empathy!

Well I am about to buy a trainer so I can get some 'riding' in during the weekdays. So you won't be alone working indoors
biggrin.gif

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
I totally understand - I don't have asthma anymore but it is impossible to forget those attacks when I was a kid. Believe you me, asthmatics have all my empathy!

Well I am about to buy a trainer so I can get some 'riding' in during the weekdays. So you won't be alone working indoors
biggrin.gif
They are boring but better than getting out of shape and you'll need it with the winds there. Have fun with it.:cool:

wackydeirdre said:
They are boring but better than getting out of shape and you'll need it with the winds there. Have fun with it.:cool:
Thus Spoke Zarathustra!

No sooner did you say wind, than I've awoken to 20+ mph gusts! :eek:

Hi Folks,
I have been riding (off and on) for several decades. In 1975, I retired from racing and spent some time competing as a runner and race walker. I made a cycling comeback of sorts in the 1980s (local and regional races) and directed a racing team (all men) for several years. In the late 1980s, I discovered throwing in track and field (athletics) and began to compete there. My specialty was the heavy weight and the hammer throw. I managed to win a world championship in the weight pentathlon in 1995 and set a few national and world records during that time. Unfortunately, I discovered kayak racing in the late 1990s. I say unfortunately because I managed to end two activities with one set of injuries. I damaged my shoulder, had surgery and was unable to come back from it so I quit competing in both kayaking and throwing in 2001. The next year, I tried cycling again and a year later managed to win a couple of age-group state titles but health once again took me off the bike. I'm now in what I consider to be my fourth cycling comback. I started riding again in July. I'm much too heavy -- great for throwing but bad for cycling. My challenge now is to find a group slow enough for me. Our local club has a group called the "daisy pickers". It's a great group of people who understand that looking around can be part of the pleasure of riding. I still feel the urge for speed but even if I manage to get faster, I'll reserve some time for the pure pleasure of riding and looking around.
I teach at a university and also am a nature photographer (so looking around definitely will be integrated into my future off-road riding). Before entering academe, I was a journalist for 18 years and at one time wrote a newspaper column on bicycling.
I'm glad to be here. I look forward to getting to know many of you.

Van Hilliard said:
Hi Folks,
I have been riding (off and on) for several decades. In 1975, I retired from racing and spent some time competing as a runner and race walker. I made a cycling comeback of sorts in the 1980s (local and regional races) and directed a racing team (all men) for several years. In the late 1980s, I discovered throwing in track and field (athletics) and began to compete there. My specialty was the heavy weight and the hammer throw. I managed to win a world championship in the weight pentathlon in 1995 and set a few national and world records during that time. Unfortunately, I discovered kayak racing in the late 1990s. I say unfortunately because I managed to end two activities with one set of injuries. I damaged my shoulder, had surgery and was unable to come back from it so I quit competing in both kayaking and throwing in 2001. The next year, I tried cycling again and a year later managed to win a couple of age-group state titles but health once again took me off the bike. I'm now in what I consider to be my fourth cycling comback. I started riding again in July. I'm much too heavy -- great for throwing but bad for cycling. My challenge now is to find a group slow enough for me. Our local club has a group called the "daisy pickers". It's a great group of people who understand that looking around can be part of the pleasure of riding. I still feel the urge for speed but even if I manage to get faster, I'll reserve some time for the pure pleasure of riding and looking around.
I teach at a university and also am a nature photographer (so looking around definitely will be integrated into my future off-road riding). Before entering academe, I was a journalist for 18 years and at one time wrote a newspaper column on bicycling.
Hey - welcome to the forum and back to riding. How ironic too, I used to live in St. Pete, the Old NE to be more specific. Ah how the years go by!

Van Hilliard said:
Hi Folks,
Sounds like you've had an awesome athletic career all your life! I also was overweight when I began cycling two years ago, very overweight in fact. I lost somewhere between 80 and 100 lbs (I sort of lost track) in less than 9 months cycling and watching my diet so you're on the right track. Welcome to the forum!

Van Hilliard said:
Hi Folks,
Wow you certainly seemed to have achieved a lot in your athletic career! Do you have any advice for us ladies just starting out in the competitive arena?

Hi everyone.
Liz, NYC, 27 yrs old. Will plan a bike trip cross country this summer. Hobbies include screenwriting, music. :cool:

Hi everyone,

Well this thread has been going for a very long time. Now that my kids are not in diapers and are venturing more with their friends, this mom is diving in with both feet into cycling. I love it. Good to hear there are many more of you.