OK I have $2500 for upgrades or additions

deckard

Feb 22, 2006
I'm leaning towards a set of Zipp 303s so I have an extra set of wheels (Mavics for winter use). All the components (seat has been changed already) have over 10,000 miles of use. Please fire away on what you would do with the $2500.00.

DSC00295.jpg

Nice looking ride. I think I would take it to Italy to ride:p! Did you mean upgrades for the bike, or upgrades on the location where you are riding? You might upgrade the rider. I wonder how long Lance would agree to ride it for $2500?

Italy would be nice. I lived in San Remo for 5 months (military) and rode a 1985 Peugeot in Europe for 3 years which I loved. I live in Sonoma County, Ca. so the wine country and coastal roads are set up for great rides.

deckard said:
I'm leaning towards a set of Zipp 303s so I have an extra set of wheels (Mavics for winter use). All the components (seat has been changed already) have over 10,000 miles of use. Please fire away on what you would do with the $2500.00.

DSC00295.jpg

A year of a
-coach
-massage therapist
-dietician

With a cycling trip as a reward.

bikes fine, work on the engine.

The coach yes, as there is always room for improvement. I'm 44 years old, 5'10",152 lbs and very lean so my diet is fine (I watch what I eat) and I do see a massage therapist once a month.

I don't want to sound rude, but get rid of those awful wheels! Why get a Soloist frame and then put air brakes on it?

Buy the zipp 303 and a pair of good tubulars with the 2500... remember that tubulars are an important expense. I suggest a pair of veloflex carbon (45€/one) or vittoria corsa evo-cx (the latter could be found in Italy at 35€/one)... this latter is one of the most used among pros. And buy Corima brake pads, they're much superior to zipp ones, and you can use them also with alu rims on your training wheels (zipp/campagnolo/swisstop are awful with alu rims...)

kdelong said:
Nice looking ride. I think I would take it to Italy to ride:p! Did you mean upgrades for the bike, or upgrades on the location where you are riding? You might upgrade the rider. I wonder how long Lance would agree to ride it for $2500?
Man that's exactly what I would do if I had that bike: buy a plane ticket and go on one of those hotel based riding things. I've had friends who've done them and they've had a blast. Just remember: it's better to do things than to have things!

The 303 is for climbing! Get Zipp 404's from ebay, I got mine for $1030 shipped. Then Zero Gravity Ti's for $350 shipped. Last, get a powermeter! Maybe a Polar CS600 or the old wired Polar Powermeter. And a good racing / training bike without a powermeter is an incomplete experience!

I too have a decked out 06 CF Cervelo Soloist Team! Zipp 404 clinchers, Selle Passione CF Seat, Zero Gravity Ti's, ergomo pro [sucks], FSA K Force Light crank, Campy Record deraileurs / Chorus shifters, CF water bottle cages, Nokon cables. All $5600 total ebay when bike retail is $8800+ at bike shop prices!

Sikhandar said:
Buy the zipp 303 and a pair of good tubulars with the 2500... remember that tubulars are an important expense. I suggest a pair of veloflex carbon (45€/one) or vittoria corsa evo-cx (the latter could be found in Italy at 35€/one)... this latter is one of the most used among pros. And buy Corima brake pads, they're much superior to zipp ones, and you can use them also with alu rims on your training wheels (zipp/campagnolo/swisstop are awful with alu rims...)

I suggest you DO NOT use any pad that is used on an aluminum rim on a carbon rim, regardless of manufacturer. Using them on aluminum gets treeny pieces of aluminum into the pad and when used on carbon will tear the **** outta them.

How much dedication and comitment do you get for 2 & 1/2 g's. TOOL! is a word i'd use for you. Live with it you are one. That my friend is free!!!!!!!

Camilo said:
Man that's exactly what I would do if I had that bike: buy a plane ticket and go on one of those hotel based riding things. I've had friends who've done them and they've had a blast. Just remember: it's better to do things than to have things!
+1. Did the Italy Bike Hotel trip this spring with a buddy and it exceeded all expectations. Got a lot more enjoyment and memories from that trip than any $2500 set of wheels could bring me. But, we're all different. I like to travel, don't compete in TT's where saving a few seconds is really important, and rarely even notice what other people are riding on club rides anymore.

I purchased the SRAM RED at a great price from my AD and have $900.00 left over for a trip down to Monterey with the wife and my bike.

Peter@vecchios said:
Using them on aluminum gets treeny pieces of aluminum into the pad and when used on carbon will tear the **** outta them.
I've never seen this with my wheels, and this evidence was reported also from other people. Don't know... I switched the wheels countinuosly (training wheels / racing wheels) and they ever worked fine, without scratching the rim.

Sikhandar said:
I've never seen this with my wheels, and this evidence was reported also from other people. Don't know... I switched the wheels countinuosly (training wheels / racing wheels) and they ever worked fine, without scratching the rim.

Some alloy rims shed metal more than others. A few folks have said you can run the same pads on your CF wheels and your alloy wheels, so long as clean the pads of metal bits before mounting the CF wheels. Wiping with an abrasive pad or summat a few times opposite the direction of wheel rotation is supposed to work.

For me, it seems a better option to have two sets of pad holders and two sets of pads, one for alloy rims and one for CF rims. The added cost of an extra set of pad holders and pads, plus the handful of minutes it requires to change between pad holders, seems very small compared to what it would cost if the brake track on a set of expensive CF rims got all buggered.

Sikhandar said:

Your wheels but a few minutes and $20 for spare holders and pads vs multi thousand dollar carbon wheels............

Even though it would be tempting to go for the wheels, I think I would go for the European trip instead!