Ok, I need some quick MTB buying help!

Seattle18

Aug 29, 2006
I have a couple options, and I need some advice. I have about $800-$1000 to spend, and I need two MTBs. I have a deposit on a 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12990), with upgraded brakes (Hayes Nines), and a stock Hard Rock for the second bike. (I am getting a great deal on the Rockhopper - $650 for the bike, including the hydraulic brakes.)

OR, a pair of Giant Yukons or Trek 4300's. What is the better way to go, and why?

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Marc,

I'm pretty new to this also. What type of riding are you doing and who is going to ride the second bike. If you are pretty confident of all 3 (or 4) models, ride them and see what feels/fits best. Good luck, Greg

gt3413 said:
Marc,

I'm pretty new to this also. What type of riding are you doing and who is going to ride the second bike. If you are pretty confident of all 3 (or 4) models, ride them and see what feels/fits best. Good luck, Greg
Ok, I just returned from the bike shop. I paid the $650 for the RH Comp Disc after taking a good test ride. This one:

06RockhopperCompDisc_Drm_l.jpg

Then I began to work on a bike for my son. We began with an 07 Hardrock Sport Disc for $450. Then I spotted another HR in a different spot in the shop, and it turned out to be this one - 2006 Hardrock Sport Disc:

06HardrockSportDisc_Drm_l.jpg

After some hard negotiating, I got him to come down from $449 to $400, then with some cash waiving and talk of me looking elsewhere, he came down to the $350 I was hoping for. To me, it seems like a great deal, and my son test rode and loved it. Now, you guys, the experts, tell me if I did well please!

Now a new wrinkle has emerged. I spoke with my LBS guy and he informed me that on the ever-mysterious dealers-only invoice of available bikes, he saw about 100 or so 2006 Hardrock Pro bikes, available for about $650, and he could get me one of those for $550 if I wanted it instead of the Hardrock Sport Disc mentioned above. He assured me it was a better bike, and from what I've read he's right. But is it worth the extra $200 to move up from the Sport to the Pro? Comments please...

06HardrockProDisc_Sil_l.jpg

Ok, here's what I've decided upon. I paid in full for the RockHopper Comp Disc ($650 w/ Hayes Nines), and ordered the HardRock Pro Disc for my son ($550). I have a tendency to buy more expensive things than I really need, and this seems to be no exception. But my general philosophy is that you get what you pay for, and as long as I am getting excellent quality for my dollar, I'm happy with spending a little extra. Besides, if for some reason our new hobby/sport doesn't take, we will have a couple of higher value bikes with better resaleability!

Regardless, my son and I are both very excited about these bikes, and we can't wait to get started. We found a Labor Day sale at REI where they have Bell Furio helmets on sale from $60 down to $44, so we plan on picking up a couple of those, and maybe some riding gloves (any suggestions?).

As for riding shorts - I saw some boxer-type things you wear under normal shorts. Are these any good? Do they offer rash protection the same as full-on riding shorts, or is there a better way to go? Further, do we even need shorts at this point, or should we hold off a month or so?

Lastly, let me thanks every one of you for your insight. I am a Moderator on a BlackBerry forum, and I deal with newbies all the time, and sometimes it gets frustrating answeriung the same easy questions, as I'm sure you guys know. But you have all been patient and very helpful with my ignorance, so thanks a bunch.

The Hardrock pro looks like a VERY good bike for the money you paid. Nice score.
I like specialized's Body Geometry gloves. I prefer full finger for off roading. You'd be surprised what you can cut your fingers open on out there.
Go out for a spin for an hour and see how the jewels hold up. Bike shorts def. help a lot, but some seats are worse than others. My buddy still doesnt wear proper bike shorts on our MTB rides. No need to buy $90 shorts, but dont get the $30 POS either. Find a nice short on sale for ~$50.