Ok, Let's hear from all you compact crank riders..

JoeOxfordCT said:
.....So are you happy with the compact or not ? Its sounds to me like you went compact because it was cheaper than converting to a full triple :confused:

Yes, I am happy with it. It performs well. However, if I did alot of serious climbing and I was starting out from scratch I would go with a triple. It allows a more versatile gear setup(also closer ratios). If setup correctly it will perform very well also.

Didn't want to start yet another compact crank thread but I couldn't find the answer to this question.
I have 9 speed Campag and was looking at an FSA Gossamer Compact crank set. Thing is, I've seen on a couple of websites that it's compatible only with Campag 10 speed and Shimano 9/10 speed.
Why would it work with Shimano 9-speed and not Campag?

Anyone know?
Thanks

JoeOxfordCT said:
Good Morning tanggoman,

What rear cassette are you using ? I am going to start with the 11-23 that comes with the bike......
I hear alot of compact users saying that they stay in the big chainring alot longer than when they were running a conventional 53/39 double. Do you find this to be true ? How far down the cassette will you go until you shift into the 34, the 7th largest ? 8th ? all the way to the 10th ? :confused: (assuming a 10spd cassette)

J.

Sorry for the late reply but with your question, I use a 12-27 cogset. It actually depends on how you will do your riding - climbing or flats. There are so many hills in where I live with grades up to 25% that I have to use 12-27.

I used to ride a Trek triple with 175mm arms. I switched (in 1993) to a Serotta double with Ultegra 52/39 in front and 12/25 in rear and also swithched to 170 mm arms. I am 6'-0" tall, so I know many will say that the arms are short, but they work for me. I have Chondromalacia in both knees, yet I have done centuries on this bike with no pain and I have never longed for the 3rd ring. I heve ridden this bike everywhere I have lived (New England, Maryland, Minnesota, Los Angeles, and now Florida) so I have encountered all types of terrain and love the double setup. You will not be disappointed.

SteveV said:
I used to ride a Trek triple with 175mm arms. I switched (in 1993) to a Serotta double with Ultegra 52/39 in front and 12/25 in rear and also swithched to 170 mm arms. I am 6'-0" tall, so I know many will say that the arms are short, but they work for me. I have Chondromalacia in both knees, yet I have done centuries on this bike with no pain and I have never longed for the 3rd ring. I heve ridden this bike everywhere I have lived (New England, Maryland, Minnesota, Los Angeles, and now Florida) so I have encountered all types of terrain and love the double setup. You will not be disappointed.
IRD (Interloc Racing Design) http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html
makes a 10 speed 11-28 cassette that's Shimano compatible. It's about $120. Keeps your top end, gives you a good low end too and works with my Ultegra short cage derailleur.

Very happy... changed a Ultegra double to FSA carbon compact. Kept the same bottom bracket and RD. It works great!

jp111 said:
Hello Joe Oxford,

I'm up here in Leominster Mass. where it is not flat by any means. I have had a FSA Compact 34/50 this year, (515 gram ) and it has been great. My cassett is DA 11/23, and, have not suffered on any hills around here. Most of the time, it is possible to stay out of the 23 tooth slot even on steeper climbs. I have been getting into the Armstrong habit of higher cadence, and for an old guy, it has worked well. I wish for a 34/48, or something like that, I hardly ever get up into the 11,12 or 13 gears on the big ring. Enjoy !
Yep, FSA has a 48 tooth outer chain ring that I've been riding for 4 or 5 months now. It's great gearing for climbing and is fine for solo riding but does get a bit old when travelling with groups, especially fast groups.

I always had trouble shifting under power from the 34 to the 50 tooth on my FSA compact. The 34/48 combination will shift from the 34 to the 48 under any condition flawlessly. I am thinking that a 50/36 may be the combination for me. In fact I am about to wander down to the shop and present them with my new 36 tooth ring I received in the mail today.

Regards,

MW

I put nearly 3K miles on a triple and rarely ever dropped to the granny. I've got a compact crank now and I like it. The range in gear inches is nearly as wide as the triple. I've the got the FSA elite 50/36 with a Shimano 6600 Ultegra cog 11-23. For the same riding I did with my old bike I'm in the big chainring most of the time. Only on long hills do I end up dropping to the small ring. The shifting is definately crisper on a double than it is on a triple.

Most people on a road bike don't need a triple. There is a weight savings going with the compact crank, definately. The rear derailleurr uses a short cage instead of the long cage and the front derailleur only has to switch to rings instead of three. The advantages are clear.

I don't say that a triple shouldn't be used. For many folks that is the sensible thing to do. For me, at 52, and a recreational rider with a bunch of enthusiasm, I think the compact crank suits me better.

A lot of triple riders will say they don't see the point of a compact, but honestly there are benefits to only having two chainrings.

If I wanted ultimate low gearing I'd obviously go with a triple, but a compact can approach a high-geared triple with less complexity and one less chainring shift.

Most of these benefits are to be had with a 10s set-up though. 11-27 10s custom cassette makes the compact work. 9s and the comapct is a little weak (more gaps if you use a wide range)

I just wanted to add this in case there are any people reading this that are looking into getting a compact crank. If you are currently riding a double 53-39 crank with a 11-23 cassette, buying a compact crank to improve your gearing does not make sense. Here is why:

By switching to a compact crank you loose your top gear and gain 2 lower gears. The same thing can be accomplished by switching to a 12-27 cassette and buying a new cassette is much cheaper than a new crank of the same quality.

Obviously there are many times where going to a compact does make sense, but not in this one example. If you are going to switch, know your gear ratios (Gain Ratios) to see what you are really getting.

jitteringjr said:
By switching to a compact crank you loose your top gear and gain 2 lower gears. The same thing can be accomplished by switching to a 12-27 cassette and buying a new cassette is much cheaper than a new crank of the same quality.
THat's true........A 50/34 and 11/23 gives you the same range with a little more top end than a 53/39 and 12/27.

I still think most people will not buy a compact so they can use a 23T. Most will buy it so they can run 34-25 or 27. (so they can have almost a triple, but with 1 chainring shift rather than 2)

34-25= ~39-29
34-27= ~39-30/31

If you can make 10s custom casettes a 50-11 will give you the equivalent of a 54/55-12 top gear (not bad).

Got a new bike last week with FSA Compact Gossamer MegaExo 175's :D

First ride today. Felt great, except I think I might prefer a 170 or 172.5. :(

Anyone want to trade? :)

'Sorry guys, searching around for an answer to a question, but have yet to find it...

The FSA [fill in the blank] compact cranksets are described as being for 9 & 10 spd. Has anyone tried running this with Shimano 8 speed HG? I'm trying to change as little as possible on an old steel bike (i.e. limiting changes to crankset, BB, FD, & cassette) and I'm just curious to see if the new stuff will work with the old(er) stuff. Thanks for any insight into this.

t4mv said:
'Sorry guys, searching around for an answer to a question, but have yet to find it...

The FSA [fill in the blank] compact cranksets are described as being for 9 & 10 spd. Has anyone tried running this with Shimano 8 speed HG? I'm trying to change as little as possible on an old steel bike (i.e. limiting changes to crankset, BB, FD, & cassette) and I'm just curious to see if the new stuff will work with the old(er) stuff. Thanks for any insight into this.
9s/10s crankset should work fine with that set-up.

t4mv said:

8-speed ultegra and FSA Gossamer Compact - works GREAT

- oh wait, I do have a Campy Veloce front derailleur, but I'm shifting it with Ultegra shifters. Everything else is Ultegra.