Ok, my turn for a wheelset now! Advise me!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jonathan Bond, Mar 31, 2003.

  1. Black WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs (rebadged American Classics, and a lot cheaper) DT 14/15/14 DB black
    spokes (yes, black, I'm vain) Mavic X317 Disc Rims

    Price: $365, plus shipping.

    I could substitute DT Supercomp spokes and save 60g for 20 extra bux. Also, I'm considering using DT
    Swiss disc rims instead, they're a little heavier and $10 more for the set, but they'd be more
    durable. Or I could save $15 off that price and put on Velocity VXC rims, but I don't know much
    about those.

    I'm a lightweight, remember, so I can get away with really light wheels and components.

    I'd buy it in parts and try to build it myself if it were cheaper, but its going to come out to
    about the same price, or even more expensive.

    Gonna be built by Larry Mettler of http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com .... the guys on mtbr's boards
    really seem to like him, and he knows his stuff.

    Any other suggestions? I want a fairly lightweight non UST disc wheelset for under $400, but the
    cheaper the better. XT disc hubs are just massively heavy. Those wheels above are over a pound and
    a half lighter than the XT discs, and they'll drop my total bike weight to under 25 pounds (minus
    mud weight!). Since I'm going to be racing it, and I'm a lightweight myself, thats a very nice
    place to be.

    Thanks!

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Black WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs (rebadged American Classics, and a lot cheaper) DT 14/15/14 DB
    > black spokes (yes, black, I'm vain) Mavic X317 Disc Rims
    >
    > Price: $365, plus shipping.
    >
    > I could substitute DT Supercomp spokes and save 60g for 20 extra bux. Also, I'm considering using
    > DT Swiss disc rims instead, they're a little heavier and $10 more for the set, but they'd be more
    > durable. Or I could save $15 off that price and put on Velocity VXC rims, but I don't know much
    > about those.
    >
    > I'm a lightweight, remember, so I can get away with really light wheels and components.
    >
    > I'd buy it in parts and try to build it myself if it were cheaper, but its going to come out to
    > about the same price, or even more expensive.
    >
    > Gonna be built by Larry Mettler of http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com .... the guys on mtbr's boards
    > really seem to like him, and he knows his stuff.
    >
    > Any other suggestions? I want a fairly lightweight non UST disc wheelset for under $400, but the
    > cheaper the better. XT disc hubs are just massively heavy. Those wheels above are over a pound and
    > a half lighter than the XT discs, and they'll drop my total bike weight to under 25 pounds (minus
    > mud weight!). Since I'm going to be racing it, and I'm a lightweight myself, thats a very nice
    > place to be.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Sometimes I like to fool around with bunny hops n stuff so when I switched from XT to CK, one of my
    priorities was engagement because I was getting tired of the play in the XT's. Not sure if this
    would be an issue for you since I'm unfamiliar with most other hubs. I sometimes regret not getting
    disc enabled hubs but fortunately light (as compared to light V's) disc brakes still cost a bomb so
    thats a consolation. No doubt discs offer a bit more but I can make do. For now.

    bloocow - not really answering your Q.

  3. Dick

    Dick Guest

    bloocow wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >>Black WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs (rebadged American Classics, and a lot cheaper) DT 14/15/14 DB
    >>black spokes (yes, black, I'm vain) Mavic X317 Disc Rims
    >>
    >>Price: $365, plus shipping.
    >>
    >>I could substitute DT Supercomp spokes and save 60g for 20 extra bux. Also, I'm considering using
    >>DT Swiss disc rims instead, they're a little heavier and $10 more for the set, but they'd be more
    >>durable. Or I could save $15 off that price and put on Velocity VXC rims, but I don't know much
    >>about those.
    >>
    >>I'm a lightweight, remember, so I can get away with really light wheels and components.
    >>
    >>I'd buy it in parts and try to build it myself if it were cheaper, but its going to come out to
    >>about the same price, or even more expensive.
    >>
    >>Gonna be built by Larry Mettler of http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com .... the guys on mtbr's boards
    >>really seem to like him, and he knows his stuff.
    >>
    >>Any other suggestions? I want a fairly lightweight non UST disc wheelset for under $400, but the
    >>cheaper the better. XT disc hubs are just massively heavy. Those wheels above are over a pound and
    >>a half lighter than the XT discs, and they'll drop my total bike weight to under 25 pounds (minus
    >>mud weight!). Since I'm going to be racing it, and I'm a lightweight myself, thats a very nice
    >>place to be.
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>
    >>Jon Bond
    >>

    > Sometimes I like to fool around with bunny hops n stuff so when I switched from XT to CK, one of
    > my priorities was engagement because I was getting tired of the play in the XT's. Not sure if this
    > would be an issue for you since I'm unfamiliar with most other hubs. I sometimes regret not
    > getting disc enabled hubs but fortunately light (as compared to light V's) disc brakes still cost
    > a bomb so thats a consolation. No doubt discs offer a bit more but I can make do. For now.
    >
    > bloocow - not really answering your Q.

    I regularly dream of getting a ck rear just for the engangment, but the racket would drive me nuts.

  4. Dick wrote:

    > bloocow wrote:
    >
    >> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>

    >>> Black WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs (rebadged American Classics, and a lot cheaper) DT 14/15/14 DB
    >>> black spokes (yes, black, I'm vain) Mavic X317 Disc Rims
    >>>
    >>> Price: $365, plus shipping.
    >>>
    >>> I could substitute DT Supercomp spokes and save 60g for 20 extra bux. Also, I'm considering
    >>> using DT Swiss disc rims instead, they're a little heavier and $10 more for the set, but they'd
    >>> be more durable. Or I could save $15 off that price and put on Velocity VXC rims, but I don't
    >>> know much about those.
    >>>
    >>> I'm a lightweight, remember, so I can get away with really light wheels and components.
    >>>
    >>> I'd buy it in parts and try to build it myself if it were cheaper, but its going to come out to
    >>> about the same price, or even more expensive.
    >>>
    >>> Gonna be built by Larry Mettler of http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com .... the guys on mtbr's boards
    >>> really seem to like him, and he knows his stuff.
    >>>
    >>> Any other suggestions? I want a fairly lightweight non UST disc wheelset for under $400, but the
    >>> cheaper the better. XT disc hubs are just massively heavy. Those wheels above are over a pound
    >>> and a half lighter than the XT discs, and they'll drop my total bike weight to under 25 pounds
    >>> (minus mud weight!). Since I'm going to be racing it, and I'm a lightweight myself, thats a very
    >>> nice place to be.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Jon Bond
    >>>

    >> Sometimes I like to fool around with bunny hops n stuff so when I switched from XT to CK, one of
    >> my priorities was engagement because I was getting tired of the play in the XT's. Not sure if
    >> this would be an issue for you since I'm unfamiliar with most other hubs. I sometimes regret not
    >> getting disc enabled hubs but fortunately light (as compared to light V's) disc brakes still cost
    >> a bomb so thats a consolation. No doubt discs offer a bit more but I can make do. For now.
    >>
    >> bloocow - not really answering your Q.
    >>

    > I regularly dream of getting a ck rear just for the engangment, but the racket would drive
    > me nuts.

    If I could afford CK, I'd get it. However, just the hubset would be more than what I'm paying for
    those wheels above ;)

    Jon Bond

  5. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Jonathan Bond wrote:

    > Black WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs (rebadged American Classics, and a lot cheaper) DT 14/15/14 DB
    > black spokes (yes, black, I'm vain) Mavic X317 Disc Rims
    >
    > Price: $365, plus shipping.
    >
    > I could substitute DT Supercomp spokes and save 60g for 20 extra bux. Also, I'm considering using
    > DT Swiss disc rims instead, they're a little heavier and $10 more for the set, but they'd be more
    > durable. Or I could save $15 off that price and put on Velocity VXC rims, but I don't know much
    > about those.
    >
    > I'm a lightweight, remember, so I can get away with really light wheels and components.
    >
    > I'd buy it in parts and try to build it myself if it were cheaper, but its going to come out to
    > about the same price, or even more expensive.
    >
    > Gonna be built by Larry Mettler of http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com .... the guys on mtbr's boards
    > really seem to like him, and he knows his stuff.
    >
    > Any other suggestions? I want a fairly lightweight non UST disc wheelset for under $400, but the
    > cheaper the better. XT disc hubs are just massively heavy. Those wheels above are over a pound and
    > a half lighter than the XT discs, and they'll drop my total bike weight to under 25 pounds (minus
    > mud weight!). Since I'm going to be racing it, and I'm a lightweight myself, thats a very nice
    > place to be.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jon Bond

    I had an American Classic hub. It started spitting grease on the rotor after about 2 months (I
    leared a lot about using mud to keep my discs working) and the bearings died at about 6 months --
    and, yes I lubed them! Tech support didn't believe that they had gone bad. My LBS finally get them
    to agree to send a new set (4) all with seals. They sent 4, but charged the LBS for 2 of them and
    none of them had seals. *I* will never deal with Amecican Classic again. YMMV.

    David

  6. David Kunz wrote:
    > Jonathan Bond wrote:
    >

    >> Black WTB Laser Disc Lite hubs (rebadged American Classics, and a lot cheaper) DT 14/15/14 DB
    >> black spokes (yes, black, I'm vain) Mavic X317 Disc Rims
    >>
    >> Price: $365, plus shipping.
    >>
    >> I could substitute DT Supercomp spokes and save 60g for 20 extra bux. Also, I'm considering using
    >> DT Swiss disc rims instead, they're a little heavier and $10 more for the set, but they'd be more
    >> durable. Or I could save $15 off that price and put on Velocity VXC rims, but I don't know much
    >> about those.
    >>
    >> I'm a lightweight, remember, so I can get away with really light wheels and components.
    >>
    >> I'd buy it in parts and try to build it myself if it were cheaper, but its going to come out to
    >> about the same price, or even more expensive.
    >>
    >> Gonna be built by Larry Mettler of http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com .... the guys on mtbr's boards
    >> really seem to like him, and he knows his stuff.
    >>
    >> Any other suggestions? I want a fairly lightweight non UST disc wheelset for under $400, but the
    >> cheaper the better. XT disc hubs are just massively heavy. Those wheels above are over a pound
    >> and a half lighter than the XT discs, and they'll drop my total bike weight to under 25 pounds
    >> (minus mud weight!). Since I'm going to be racing it, and I'm a lightweight myself, thats a very
    >> nice place to be.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Jon Bond
    >

    > I had an American Classic hub. It started spitting grease on the rotor after about 2 months (I
    > leared a lot about using mud to keep my discs working) and the bearings died at about 6 months --
    > and, yes I lubed them! Tech support didn't believe that they had gone bad. My LBS finally get them
    > to agree to send a new set (4) all with seals. They sent 4, but charged the LBS for 2 of them and
    > none of them had seals. *I* will never deal with Amecican Classic again. YMMV.
    >
    > David

    WTB licensed the design, so they're very very very similar, but its a different company to deal
    with. They're the new versions WITHOUT the great ports, since they had a lot of problems with the
    grease injection. Apparently you were supposed to disassemble them first and remove seals before
    injecting grease, which is just weird. These ones have double seals on both sides, and WTB should be
    pretty good about customer service if they're anythign like they'v been in the past.

    However, thats still definitely something to consider. Alternatives? I could get hope XC hubs, which
    would be a lot heavier, but a little bit cheaper ($310, might be the way to go).

    Thanks!

    Jon Bond