OK, show of hands - How many still addicted to TdF?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Badger_South, Aug 11, 2004.

  1. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

    Yep, it's been a few weeks, and I'm still playing back my tapes of the
    tour. Wish I'd taped more of the segments.

    Never seem to get tired of watching tiny guys riding their bikes, eh?

    I mean, there -is- a lot to see wrt pacing and pedalling style and cadence
    and tactics, but it's funny.

    Wonder who else is still re-running their tapes? ;-p

    -B
    First tour-itis

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:35:55 -0400, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yep, it's been a few weeks, and I'm still playing back my tapes of the
    >tour. Wish I'd taped more of the segments.
    >
    >Never seem to get tired of watching tiny guys riding their bikes, eh?
    >
    >I mean, there -is- a lot to see wrt pacing and pedalling style and cadence
    >and tactics, but it's funny.
    >
    >Wonder who else is still re-running their tapes? ;-p

    The Olympics are coming, and the Vuelta starts soon.

    Hay que echar siempre pa'delante, compañero.

    -Luigi

    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
    Photos, Rants, raves

  3. keydates

    keydates New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2004
    Didn't have much to tape here.

  4. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:26:10 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The Olympics are coming, and the Vuelta starts soon.

    I've slowly lost all interest in the Olympics since Los Angelos. While
    Greece is making nice noises right now, this may be one of the first
    cases of a wretched excess taking down a country or at least a
    government.

    Funny thing is, my wife has become more interested, so I'll hide in
    the basement with old movies from the 40s and 50s, while she watches
    it open to close. I OTOH will probably get through the entire Thin Man
    series again this year, among others...

    OLN has abandoned the Vuelta, so the U.S. will have slim pickings
    there. Maybe OLN will read the part about how high the ratings were
    (for them) for the Tour and figure even half that number will be a
    good result. We'll see.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  5. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:39:56 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:26:10 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>The Olympics are coming, and the Vuelta starts soon.

    >I've slowly lost all interest in the Olympics since Los Angelos. While
    >Greece is making nice noises right now, this may be one of the first
    >cases of a wretched excess taking down a country or at least a
    >government.

    I was too little to remember the LA games.

    I do love the Olympics though; I've always loved the Olympic boxing
    and the swimming, as well as the track & field. This year I'll be
    looking for cycling (road and track) and rowing, too.

    >Funny thing is, my wife has become more interested, so I'll hide in
    >the basement with old movies from the 40s and 50s, while she watches
    >it open to close. I OTOH will probably get through the entire Thin Man
    >series again this year, among others...

    They projected "The Thin Man" down on the Mall, in front of the
    Capitol this week. It was great--those 1930s movies do things that
    modern films can't....like quick dialogue full of one-liners.

    The fact that the crowd was lively and laughed at all the jokes made
    it neat, too.

  6. Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:35:55 -0400, Badger_South <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Yep, it's been a few weeks, and I'm still playing back my tapes of the
    >>tour. Wish I'd taped more of the segments.
    >>
    >>Never seem to get tired of watching tiny guys riding their bikes, eh?
    >>
    >>I mean, there -is- a lot to see wrt pacing and pedalling style and cadence
    >>and tactics, but it's funny.
    >>
    >>Wonder who else is still re-running their tapes? ;-p
    >>

    > The Olympics are coming, and the Vuelta starts soon.

    According to the TV Guide, the Olympic men's road race will be covered
    Saturday. I am SO gonna watch it.

    My 16-yr-old makes fun of me when I re-run TdF tapes. *sniff*

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  7. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 15:26:10 -0400, Luigi de Guzman
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>The Olympics are coming, and the Vuelta starts soon.

    >I've slowly lost all interest in the Olympics since Los Angelos. While
    >Greece is making nice noises right now, this may be one of the first
    >cases of a wretched excess taking down a country or at least a
    >government.
    >
    >Funny thing is, my wife has become more interested, so I'll hide in
    >the basement with old movies from the 40s and 50s, while she watches
    >it open to close. I OTOH will probably get through the entire Thin Man
    >series again this year, among others...
    >
    >OLN has abandoned the Vuelta, so the U.S. will have slim pickings
    >there. Maybe OLN will read the part about how high the ratings were
    >(for them) for the Tour and figure even half that number will be a
    >good result. We'll see.
    >
    >Curtis L. Russell
    >Odenton, MD (USA)
    >Just someone on two wheels...

    Hi, if I recall correctly there are 6 Thin Man movies, everyone of
    them enjoyable. They don't make movies like that anymore.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  8. On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:41:27 GMT, the black rose
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >According to the TV Guide, the Olympic men's road race will be covered
    >Saturday. I am SO gonna watch it.

    That's cool.

    Will they show the Pursuit on TV?

    I'm so amused. there was this one commercial that showed a kid riding
    a bigwheel trike...then a bmx bike, then racing his friends on their
    bmxs down the block....then in a road race....then the man roaring
    around a velodrome.

    It was some big firm bragging about its support for the athletes, and
    the guy they were showing was one of the US contenders in Pursuit or
    Match Sprint.

  9. Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:41:27 GMT, the black rose
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>According to the TV Guide, the Olympic men's road race will be covered
    >>Saturday. I am SO gonna watch it.

    > That's cool.
    >
    > Will they show the Pursuit on TV?

    Pursuit? I need a definition (also for "Match Sprint"); remember, I'm
    quite a bit of a newbie here.

    There are a couple of 90 degree turns in the road race. On cobbles, if
    I remember correctly. It should be exciting; I just hope nobody gets
    hurt. Those corners are scary at 25 mph, much less the 35 mph that
    racers take them.

    > I'm so amused. there was this one commercial that showed a kid riding
    > a bigwheel trike...then a bmx bike, then racing his friends on their
    > bmxs down the block....then in a road race....then the man roaring
    > around a velodrome.

    Haven't seen that one. Is it on network TV? Watching NBC for Olympic
    coverage will be a major departure from my usual channels; there's
    nothing on NBC, ABC or CBS that I actually *watch*.

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  10. Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:41:27 GMT, the black rose
    > <[email protected]pe.net> wrote:
    >

    >>According to the TV Guide, the Olympic men's road race will be covered
    >>Saturday. I am SO gonna watch it.

    > That's cool.
    >
    > Will they show the Pursuit on TV?

    Pursuit? I need a definition (also for "Match Sprint"); remember, I'm
    quite a bit of a newbie here.

    There are a couple of 90 degree turns in the road race. On cobbles, if
    I remember correctly. It should be exciting; I just hope nobody gets
    hurt. Those corners are scary at 25 mph, much less the 35 mph that
    racers take them.

    > I'm so amused. there was this one commercial that showed a kid riding
    > a bigwheel trike...then a bmx bike, then racing his friends on their
    > bmxs down the block....then in a road race....then the man roaring
    > around a velodrome.

    Haven't seen that one. Is it on network TV? Watching NBC for Olympic
    coverage will be a major departure from my usual channels; there's
    nothing on NBC, ABC or CBS that I actually *watch*.

    -km

    --
    the black rose
    proud to be owned by a yorkie

  11. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:55:26 -0500, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi, if I recall correctly there are 6 Thin Man movies, everyone of
    >them enjoyable. They don't make movies like that anymore.

    The trick is to get them in DVD in enhanced black and white. Most of
    the Thin Man series is out. Never understood why Laura has never been
    released in DVD, or one of the best ghost stories, The Uninvited.
    Potrait of Jennie is coming out this month. Almost as big a deal in
    our household as the nearing release of the redigitalized Star Wars in
    DVD.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  12. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:55:26 -0500, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi, if I recall correctly there are 6 Thin Man movies, everyone of
    >them enjoyable. They don't make movies like that anymore.

    The trick is to get them in DVD in enhanced black and white. Most of
    the Thin Man series is out. Never understood why Laura has never been
    released in DVD, or one of the best ghost stories, The Uninvited.
    Potrait of Jennie is coming out this month. Almost as big a deal in
    our household as the nearing release of the redigitalized Star Wars in
    DVD.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  13. On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:55:26 -0500, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>